6 Nations 2023

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

tigerburnie
Warrior

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by tigerburnie »

What should be learned is you cannot have trial by slow motion tv, it's ruining the game as a spectacle, doubt it changed the result, but it makes the officials on and off the pitch look incompetent.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:22 pm What should be learned is you cannot have trial by slow motion tv, it's ruining the game as a spectacle, doubt it changed the result, but it makes the officials on and off the pitch look incompetent.
I agree although some of the officials would no doubt look incompetent without it.

Nothing was stopping the officials on Saturday getting the decision right.

I managed it and I don’t have a GCSE in refereeing or whatever you need!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

There is no danger of a replay; I would be taking the pi$h for a decade!! :lol:
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Reducing the red card to a yellow was daft. Either there was no foul play or it was a red.
Must admit I thought it was a red at the time even though the Engerlish punters suggested it was completely ignorable.
And as for "What could he have done?" How about crouch down and put his arms out in front of him like what you do when you is gonna tackle somebody.
On the red-cards-are-ruining-rugby-in-our-day-it-took-a-murder-to-make-someone-take-notice brigade, what will actually kill rugby are on screen deaths or a class action from all the dementia and MND sufferers.
I said at the time if it had have been the other way round there'd be a run on the phrase "by the letter of the law" from Clive, Wilko and the drug dealer. If it wasn't a red then the law needs changed.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

👍
Godots bedpan
Novice

Post by Godots bedpan »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:38 pm
Dublin4 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:48 pm Did anyone up there enjoy anything of the Six Nations? Thought not.
Quite enjoyed Scotland - more chance of an Ulster born player kitting out for them ATM....

To be fair Dub, McCloskey aside, I doubt even the most one eyed Ulster fan could argue the toss, Hendo aside if fit, and Beirne has the upper hand on that one too. ( Although I suspect Hendo would start versus SA for the pure ballast/ fighting fire with fire.)

Everyone starting or in 23 is there on merit, and better than their UR counterpart currently. Apart from those above imo.

It's hard to be fully engaged when there's no Ulster born in the 23. That's my opinion and mine only btw. Our introspection is how our talent has stalled- many reasons but it doesn't stop the forensic analysis.

McCloskey is the head scratcher for me- but given he and Aki only play 12, it was always going to be the tried and trusted Aki 12/ Henshaw 13 combi and JOB for versatility. Aki has nowhere the same deftness- sadly McCloskey has been viewed or forced into the same bludgeon role. Mac's boot is a thing of beauty- underused. Aki is a red card awaiting at the RWC.
Logged on to see what as being said ahead of the LvU game at the weekend

If you look at SMcC contribution it was better than Aki's. In the flush of success we forget that we were a bit nervous about the Sheep Whisperer's potential impact on his return with Wales and hadn't won there in 10 years. SMcC had a really solid game, Aki doesn't have the 20 meter right to left pass that SMcC delivered 30 seconds in to set the platform for the first try in this game. Ireland are on the board, confident and up and running courtesy of his vision. SMcC can spot and exploit space in a way Aki just doesn't, he has way better hands and vision than Aki, think the timing of his injury was really unfortunate. If a muppet like me picks up on those abilities then you can be 100% sure the coaching team Ireland have can spot it too. I'd be pretty confident the ranking is GR / RH / SMcC /BA in that order

Ulster's RWC representation will probably be Henderson (if fit) Herring, TOT, SMcC and I have a sneaking suspicion about Baloucoune - there is just no substitute for genuine pace and RB has it in spades and if he can stay fit I think he'll get the final back 5 spot ahead of Larmour / Earls. Treadwell I think will lose out to Baird/ Baird looks to have edged ahead of him although KT might travel if Henderson isn't fit. The other possibility is Timoney, there is no natural back up to JVDF in the squad, so IMO there is a travelling spot up for grabs for a genuine 7 between the likes of Timoney, Hodnett, Connors and Penny.

At least one or two poor unfortunates will miss it with injury. The fact of the matter is that if Sexton is one of those out injured we go from being contenders to back in the chasing pack with the also rans. 1, 7, 10 & 15 are where the drop between the starter and the next cab off the rank are steepest, they are the work ons for the next 6 months.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ElmoIsDead wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:47 pm
BaggyTrousers wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:39 am Let's not forget that gatland Gatland is a gatland used to smacking Irish ar$es. I must say I guldered when he dropped that gatland O'Driscoll. The howling from the 4 proud provinces amused me greatly. Better still he was right, at that stage O'Ba$tard was hanging on damaging his legacy for a few more caps and moments in the spotlight. NOt worth his place in the Irish team. So good on yah Gats, ya Gatland.

However the current hysteria amongst Patricks is almost as amusing. Whilst I will find it hard to cheer against McCloskey, should he not be selected I'll find myself hoping that Biggar has a blinder, Alun Wynn is the usual cunning Gatland he is, that Tipuric shows his continued excellent and that wee Jac can get into the Irish back row and halves.

Looking forward to it, not expecting a Patrick humiliation, but ready and willing to laugh at it.

Bring them home ya FIRFUCs, you've ruined their best years, ya Gatlands. Does anyone know if Donal Spring has died in agony yet?
Are you 9 ?
I'm guessing your mouth is nowhere near as big without the keyboard to hide behind but really, are you 9?
I've just seen a notification of this amusing little piece, the answer is "Nein, Dickwad", pip pip.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.