6 Nations 2023

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by big mervyn »

for dog and ulcer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:37 am 3 extra for the Grand Slam to ensure that GS team wins the championship -apparently.
They've been doing this since 2017!

If Ryan hadn't fecked up agin Scotland, Ireland would have had a perfect 28
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

I’m fed up reading and listening to all the “expert” pundits questioning the red card. They all seem to think the English player had only a split second to decide wether to play the ball or the player. When I look at the whole incident I don’t think he ever intended to play the ball - he had turned sideways and was always intent on body checking Keenan.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:14 am
for dog and ulcer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:37 am 3 extra for the Grand Slam to ensure that GS team wins the championship -apparently.
They've been doing this since 2017!

If Ryan hadn't fecked up agin Scotland, Ireland would have had a perfect 28
Thanks for all this info. All now clear and it does seem to make sense.

Yes, Merv, a pity about the fumble. Seems to happen a lot more these days or, more likely, the ubiquitous cameras are picking up what was always there.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's really hard to believe, though, that was a red, but Nadolo's gbh on Cooney wasn't even a penalty.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Bangors wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:12 am I’m fed up reading and listening to all the “expert” pundits questioning the red card. They all seem to think the English player had only a split second to decide wether to play the ball or the player. When I look at the whole incident I don’t think he ever intended to play the ball - he had turned sideways and was always intent on body checking Keenan.
If he was genuinely trying to avoid a collision, why would he do that? Getting out of the way of a ball carrier? Really?
If he was putting his shoulder in, as it looked to me, he deserved more than a red.
Commentators don't seem worried that Keenan had to go off injured?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Blunder played well against 14 men. McCloskey gives ireland a lot extra. Look at the extra metres gained. His turnovers etc. You have to be either under orders or insanely biased to activately turn that down.

It was a great day for rugby league and also the English. 800 years of oppression sport washed away. D4 don't care. Do they ever sing fields in the horse riding pen?

Anyway, congrats to Andy Farrell. He's probably the best coach we've ever had. I don't remember the last coach. Jim or something.

SUFTUM
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Jetstream wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:00 am
Dublin4 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:48 pm Did anyone up there enjoy anything of the Six Nations? Thought not.
Yes.I really enjoyed the matches. Great credit to Andy Farrell who I think got every selection right. It pains me to say it but I believe Aki fully justified his selection on Saturday. He played very well.
You have to be Irish to justify your selection
Even Netflix wouldn't go that far.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dublin4 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:48 pm Did anyone up there enjoy anything of the Six Nations? Thought not.
Quite enjoyed Scotland - more chance of an Ulster born player kitting out for them ATM....

To be fair Dub, McCloskey aside, I doubt even the most one eyed Ulster fan could argue the toss, Hendo aside if fit, and Beirne has the upper hand on that one too. ( Although I suspect Hendo would start versus SA for the pure ballast/ fighting fire with fire.)

Everyone starting or in 23 is there on merit, and better than their UR counterpart currently. Apart from those above imo.

It's hard to be fully engaged when there's no Ulster born in the 23. That's my opinion and mine only btw. Our introspection is how our talent has stalled- many reasons but it doesn't stop the forensic analysis.

McCloskey is the head scratcher for me- but given he and Aki only play 12, it was always going to be the tried and trusted Aki 12/ Henshaw 13 combi and JOB for versatility. Aki has nowhere the same deftness- sadly McCloskey has been viewed or forced into the same bludgeon role. Mac's boot is a thing of beauty- underused. Aki is a red card awaiting at the RWC.
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

solidarity wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:31 pm
The Ingerlish lost three times, including to Ireland. What's not to enjoy about that?
+1
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Yes.I really enjoyed the matches. Great credit to Andy Farrell who I think got every selection right. It pains me to say it but I believe Aki fully justified his selection on Saturday. He played very well.
No but no :red:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:30 am Blunder played well against 14 men. McCloskey gives ireland a lot extra. Look at the extra metres gained. His turnovers etc. You have to be either under orders or insanely biased to activately turn that down.

It was a great day for rugby league and also the English. 800 years of oppression sport washed away. D4 don't care. Do they ever sing fields in the horse riding pen?

Anyway, congrats to Andy Farrell. He's probably the best coach we've ever had. I don't remember the last coach. Jim or something.

SUFTUM
Jimmy Davidson
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:56 am
You have to be Irish to justify your selection
Nonsense.
sombrerohead
Novice

Post by sombrerohead »

Dave wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:30 am Blunder played well against 14 men. McCloskey gives ireland a lot extra. Look at the extra metres gained. His turnovers etc. You have to be either under orders or insanely biased to activately turn that down.

SUFTUM
In D4 they do sing Athenry's in Connacht.
It was made popular by Dublin Ballad singers Jim McCann etc >fiddle .
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Red card quashed. Ireland grandslam no longer valid.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Replay ordered