Pre Season Games 2022/23

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Pre Season Games 2022/23

Post by Dave »

I wouldn't get too ahead of myself but we are definitely winning it all this year.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:06 pm I wouldn't get too ahead of myself but we are definitely winning it all this year.
Same same
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I know it was only a warm-up game and accept all the if's and but's, but the second half was more than a bit meh!
Great to see Stockdale back, making a couple of great catches and a well taken try.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I didn’t fall over.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

I hear the beer prices have increased, £5.80 a pint now. £33 for 6.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes, bought myself a couple on arrival - £11.60.

Needless to say, they haven’t got around to changing the prices on the menu behind the bar yet….

Managed to win £200 on the Premium Bonds and £100 on the Lottery this week but the flask could be appearing for the Connacht game….
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:56 pm Yes, bought myself a couple on arrival - £11.60.

Needless to say, they haven’t got around to changing the prices on the menu behind the bar yet….

Managed to win £200 on the Premium Bonds and £100 on the Lottery this week but the flask could be appearing for the Connacht game….
I suppose 10% inflation is the going rate. The turnip ST holders were actually being charged for their preseason much to their chagrin.

Always amuses me that whilst some are surreptitiously concealing a wee hip flask, other patrons brazenly unfold a copious bounty of tea, coffee, traybakes and other assorted delicacies come half-time without so much as a by your leave to the attentive employees of Eventsec.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Saw a few empty Guinness tinnies on the ground on the East Terrace.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

In close proximity to where you were standing. Coinsidence?
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

HwoodMike2umate wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:02 pm I didn’t fall over.
That you remember ....
HwoodMike2umate wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:12 am Saw a few empty Guinness tinnies on the ground on the East Terrace.
beside your face when you fell over ...

but well done on remembering one out of two. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

StandUp wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:55 am
Dave wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:21 am Mads at 12? What is the point in that? Likewise with Carter in any position.
Those were my thoughts too…
Perhaps they fear losing both Stu’s to the
Imbecilic Ridiculous Farcical Union tour of some sh1te teams, so they’ve asked Mads to fill in at 12??
in the hope that mads will be selected for Emerging Ireland....
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Mads at 12 I can understand to some extent especially last night playing an inexperienced Flannery at out half with McDonald at scrumhalf

--an untried combination -- if McCloskey is to be missing for sometime -- and like wise Hume -- then Ulster don't appear to have an experienced 12 other than Luke Marshall -- thus Madigan could feature on the bench as cover for Out-half and Inside centre.

Back to last nights warm up with opposition were as Rory said the result was less important than the performance.

McDonald and Flannery are both work in progress some nice touches but also some worrying weaknesses both seem to have a weak pass and Madigan did well to recover and hold a couple of daisy cutters .

The new back row players seem to be useful additions and might feature well in the future .

But the most pleasing aspect was Stockdale his attitude and appetite for the game.

It will be nice to have a player on the wing who is chosen for his attacking ability rather than his range of defensive skills.

Disappointments the H I's to three players of which Sexton's was to some extent the most annoying because he was showing some promise after a shaky start and he like Madigan may be necessary during player absences due to Ireland's Call
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Views on the new guys??
JTA - looked ok in the loose and scrum , but not on long enough to say much more. Needs to be available and stay fit.

FBR - big unit and did ok. Hopefully he can kick on.

Sheridan - pick of the forwards in 1st half - good carries and hits, I have high hopes for him, long way to go but has the attributes to become our long lost hard nosed 6.

Reffel- bit too eager which meant he got out of position a few times. Won a great tackle and bounce up jackel penalty.

Mcdonald - looked lively and will hopefully get game time. Passing a bit awry at times but had some zip about it.

Flannery- looked to be enjoying himself and showed some good skills with a eye for a gap.

O'brien - looked secure and unlucky not to get a debut try.

All in all a positive start, there are a lot of young eager players in the squad with the skills to make an impact. SID definitely going the right way.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jeff was good in the scrum. This will really help us if he is a handy scrummager. EOS rinsed Harry Williams in one scrum in the 2nd half. He is a guy we want to see back on form.

Frank looked decent. Seems mobile enough for such a tall guy. He could be a useful lineout option. There are many good 2nd row options now. Izzy barnstorming again tonight. Well stocked perhaps.

The backrow options have improved. I was impressed with Refell. Sheridan already looks better than Matty Rea and Jones.

Best backline in Europe confirmed.

We. Are. Brill.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Maybe not quite Brill yet Dave but certainly saw enough last night to be optimistic for the season.
New signings all showed promise and the younger existing cUlster home grown crop are all progressing well. Stewart Reid and Sheridan in the pack looked to have filled out and to be likely to get some starts this season. A few of the more “ established “ squad members will have serious competition. ( Carter may not be even a bench option )
Discounting injuries there could be some difficult selection choices if all fit. When you add in the missing through injury and NZ tour then we are beginning to have serious depth.
Even though Dan didn’t seem wildly enthusiastic last night about Emerging Ireland it might not be as big a problem as first suspected.