URC Fixtures 2022/23

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: URC Fixtures 2022/23

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster players selected.

Emerging Ireland Squad – Toyota Challenge 2022

Robert Baloucoune (Ulster/Enniskillen)*
Nathan Doak (Ulster/Banbridge)
Jake Flannery (Ulster/Shannon)
Michael McDonald (Ulster)
Ethan McIlroy (Ulster/Queens RFC)
Stewart Moore (Ulster/Malone)
Cormac Izuchukwu (Ulster/Ballynahinch)
Callum Reid (Ulster/Banbridge)
Tom Stewart (Ulster/Ballynahinch)
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

How is Baloucoune considered an emerging player? The guy has been playing European rugby for over 3 years. Unless we get stu, addison and Hume back soon our centres have been decimated as well.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Two scrum-halves as well as two hookers.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Full squad here.

Interesting that, at out-half, Jack Crowley and Jake Flannery are both selected, and Ben Healy isn't - Crowley and Flannery were both behind Healy in the Munster pecking order last year. Suggests our new boy is highly thought of in Ireland circles. Two Ulster scrum-halves chosen - hopefully nothing happens to Cooney while they're away.

Surprised Marcus Rea didn't get a call-up, he was a real breakthrough player for us last season.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

jean valjean wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:19 pm How is Baloucoune considered an emerging player? The guy has been playing European rugby for over 3 years. Unless we get stu, addison and Hume back soon our centres have been decimated as well.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
Could be game time related as he missed out on New Zealand Tour.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Setanta wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:26 pm Two scrum-halves as well as two hookers.
2 hookers? LHP and hooker surely.

Test of depth at LHP and Scrum Half in games v Scarlets, Leinster and Ospreys.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

It could have been worse but is still a real shambles. There are three other windows outside of League games. I was so annoyed I said two hookers - it is one hooker and one LHP.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

It could have been worse but is still a real shambles. There are three other windows outside of League games. I was so annoyed I said two hookers - it is one hooker and one LHP.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Leinster still have 10 in the squad compared to our 9!!
Hope is not a strategy.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Munster aren’t left with much of a pack either.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Baloucoune should be starting for Ireland never mind in their thirds ffs. Agree with the rest although Marcus Rea should be there.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Am greatly relieved by this - was expecting much worse. Really not sure what the point of the tour is however. Nucifora saying it is to get people ready for the world cup but even on the most optimistic trajectory, very few of those players are likely to make a 33 man world cup squad next year.

Leo's quote in the article on the42 suggested there has been a bit of horse trading in the provinces so that looks like what has happened to avoid Leinster having a full strength squad whilst taking the other provinces front liners.

From an Ulster perspective there is hope that the tour will actually accelerate the development of some players so some good might come from it in the medium to long term.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

How the f@ck can Michael McDonald be an emerging player???
He’s not even peeking out yet never mind emerging.
Don’t get me wrong I think he’s a real find and could be very good for us but ffs taking two scrum halves.
B@stards.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:39 pm Leinster still have 10 in the squad compared to our 9!!
Leinster have 11 in the squad. Smith, Osborne, Frawley, Milne, Clarkson, Deeny, McCarthy, Soroka, Culhane, Penny, Deegan.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Selecting Baloucoune is a nonsense. How can this be better than playing for Ulster in the league? Sexton may have been a better option but now he might get game time for Ulster which is better for him.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?