Rory Sutherland to join Ulster short term

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Re: Rory Sutherland to join Ulster short term

Post by HammerTime »

Rory is talking through his hole. Both O'Sullivan and Warwick have had their chances. O'Sullivan if anything is getting worse as he gets older and although Warwick has improved he still has a ceiling. Both, along with many others always get shown for who they are in the big games against the better teams.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

HammerTime wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:39 am Rory is talking through his hole. Both O'Sullivan and Warwick have had their chances. O'Sullivan if anything is getting worse as he gets older and although Warwick has improved he still has a ceiling. Both, along with many others always get shown for who they are in the big games against the better teams.
Correct and f*ck Ireland anyway. If some fat 25 yo from the s. Hemisphere became available he'd be indulged for 3 years and would spend the next 5 in a green jersey
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

It’s a good signing. Come the SA / Euro games we get big scrum examinations. AW is the current best LH scrummager - he’s really come on the last 12/18mths but he’ll do a job and nothing more in those games. If RS can help put the squeeze on at scrum time, or help close out games by us not conceding scrum pens I’d be very happy.
I can see Rory’s Bests point but at some point we need to push on rather than constantly building for next yr. kitscoff will be a great signing - surprised it’s a 3yr deal mind.
I’m presuming JTA will go toSA instead of MM, due to another head knock.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:07 amNot my captain.
Did he leave you high and dry in court?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I wonder if Rory is suffering from the Truss Kwarteng syndrome, going for a long term theoreticlly based idea when a short term good that might become a long term gain is clearly a better way forward. As Dh says, we can't spend every year building for a next year that never comes.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

solidarity wrote:I wonder if Rory is suffering from the Truss Kwarteng syndrome, going for a long term theoreticlly based idea when a short term good that might become a long term gain is clearly a better way forward. As Dh says, we can't spend every year building for a next year that never comes.
That model would be D4's preference. Resource Leinster with cast offs trickling down to other provinces.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
He's not Grumpy enough. I prefer my captains Grumpy.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rory knows a lot about front rowers so have to respect his opinion but would be very disappointed if Sutherland is not a trade up on what we have for this season.

Callum Reid is a pup in terms of experience and he'll get gametime for sure, but not what we want against La Rochelle this season.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I think for now I will trust Dan and Bryn’s judgement over Bests.
Rory is a cracking player and I am very happy to see him in an Ulster shirt this season. Dan knows him very well and speaks very highly of him. Good enough for me.
As pointed out earlier in this thread, the current props have been given every opportunity and while they have been reasonable - Warwick more than reasonable - they aren’t going to trouble the Heiny favourites.
Welcome Rory, I hope you fully enjoy your time here.
Give em hell!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:Rory knows a lot about front rowers so have to respect his opinion but would be very disappointed if Sutherland is not a trade up on what we have for this season.

Callum Reid is a pup in terms of experience and he'll get gametime for sure, but not what we want against La Rochelle this season.
Don't worry Sutherland is an animal. I've seen him put a few irish players on their hole in the 6N over the years. Rory is just sticking up for his mates. That's what you do as a pundit these days.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Even Tommy Bowe wasn't agreeing with Rory Best.

Hope Rory (Sutherland) makes Rory Best revise his opinion pretty quickly!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Rory (Best) is talking nonsense about Sutherland. Of course he’ll make our front row stronger. A British & Irish lion entering the prime of his career will be a huge benefit to ulster. He mightn’t be the most destructive scrummager but he is a quality carrier, with a strong work rate and gets around the pitch well. He’ll add much needed depth to the LH position.

Ulster have one decent LH prop in Warwick were you feel confident that he’ll hold his own, but for too long now the Ulster scrum suffered in the 2nd half vs the French sides and Leinster when they can bring in international level props and we can’t. This will help no doubt.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:46 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:
B0££0X you do!!! :evil: :twisted:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:46 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:
B0££0X you do!!! :evil: :twisted:
That's more like it.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Perhaps the wrong thread but at least it’s about a prop.

‘Veteran loosehead prop Steven Kitshoff has given the DHL Stormers over a decade of service and head coach John Dobson says the club will not stand in the Springbok’s way if he wants to join Ulster.
Kitshoff is reportedly set to join Ulster once his Stormers contract comes to an end after the World Cup.
“We will chat to him after the game on Friday,” Dobson told the media on Thursday afternoon. “Whether that’s on Friday night or Saturday. Kitsie is out of contract after the World Cup, he has more than earned his spurs and he has earned the credit to go where he wants to and where is right for him and his family.
“If that’s the case, that he is going to Ulster, then he goes with our blessing. He has respected his contract here and has put in so much on and off the field. Who knows, maybe after a couple of years with Ulster, he will be back here with us? He is an absolute bloke.”
However, Dobson could not hide his irritation when the subject of another Stormers star player leaving the Western Cape came up.
“I must say, it’s pretty exhausting. The mindset of these [overseas] clubs, that South Africans or Fijians are fair game to have conversations with, it’s frustrating,” said Dobson.

“We try to look after our own and bring through an own. It feels like we are on the back foot a lot of the time, fending off, especially if we do well. A case in point is Warrick Gelant.
“We focus on developing our own players and all the South African unions are like that. But once we do that, we have to deal with approaches for our players from elsewhere. It’s tiring, I will be honest with you.
“Every week, there’s a new player that somebody wants to chat to from overseas, whether they are in contract, out of contract, in or out of the window.
“But we continue to bring through our own players. We are very excited by this new generation of youngsters.”
Kitshoff was surprisingly included in the matchday-23 for Friday’s Vodacom United Rugby Championship clash against Ospreys in Swansea, along with hooker Joseph Dweba.
Both Springboks were left out of the original squad that travelled to Italy to face Zebre, but are on the bench this weekend.
“It was always in the plan to manage the Springboks who had been away from home for so long. We worked out individual plans for each of them,” explained Dobson.
“The front-row guys – Joseph and Kitsie – were looking at the end of the tour, they are in the reckoning now. Frans [Malherbe] has been recovering from a chest infection and won’t play this week. Salmaan [Moerat] will head back after tomorrow’s game, he stayed an extra week which we are very grateful for.
“The Springboks were always going to come on the tour. We just weren’t sure whether they would play both games in Wales.”