Rory Sutherland to join Ulster short term

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

paddybrown
Novice

Rory Sutherland to join Ulster short term

Post by paddybrown »

It appears we're on the verge of signing Scotland and Lions loosehead Rory Sutherland as a free agent from Worcester Warriors, on a short term deal until the end of the season, filling the gap until Stephen Kitshoff arrives next season. Definite boost to the front row.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 47760.html
Soda
Novice

Re: Rory Sutherland to join Ulster short term

Post by Soda »

Great signing if true
Struggling to see D4 allowing it though
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Smart business making the best of a bad situation re Sutherland. really looking forward to the next crop of NIQS - will be sad to see DV go but the less said about Carter the better.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

I think the days when NIQs were an automatic upgrade on home-grown players is over. Most of the available options are journeymen pros, and the quality of northern hemisphere players is now so high that even the real stars aren't that much better than the local option. We played against South African stars like Stephen Kitshoff, Lukhanyo Am and Siya Kolisi last season, and they didn't outclass us by any means.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Kitshoff is a massive upgrade on the loosehead side. He can scrum, carry and jackal. Triple threat.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

:red: smart business for both parties, with John Andress as his agent - if it works out. Personally can’t see EOS or AW as WC outsiders or Reid….working with a Lion could be an eye opener for him. Sutherland will. Need to get himself in the shop window so won’t be sitting on his laurels. Win/win for me.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

paddybrown wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:10 pm I think the days when NIQs were an automatic upgrade on home-grown players is over. Most of the available options are journeymen pros, and the quality of northern hemisphere players is now so high that even the real stars aren't that much better than the local option. We played against South African stars like Stephen Kitshoff, Lukhanyo Am and Siya Kolisi last season, and they didn't outclass us by any means.
I disagree and think the days of signing muck for the sake of it are over. 2 top foreigners (really would need the 3) and all to be in the forwards and the rest local with the very odd Leinster castoff. Kitshoff, Carter replaced and DV kept for one last season would be the dream.
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

DV done. Wouldn't be against a big nick type, but Timoney has really came on.
Dura lex sed lex
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Depends on what route you go down. Carrier wise Big Nick was unreal, could’ve done with that Friday in wet tight conditions. However what was also exposed was basic errors/poor turnovers, DV is a world class “brad pitt tidier” and was badly missed v Leinster. If we went like for like not sure of another 8 that would replace him.
I think if Izzy can develop initially into a 6 (gets gametime, like young Henderson) that added physicality frees up timoney when he plays at 8 - prob more important in wet conditions.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

My honest opinion is we are a bit light in the back row when starting both marcus and timoney and would need a serious carrier at 8 if we start them together. With Kitschoff coming we should back izzy in the row so a big 6/8 is what's needed. From what I'm hearing we won't be disappointed anyway.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Elrigh Louw or Evan Roos would do nicely, thank you very much.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Lads aged 22/23 would be something of a departure from our usual NIQ profile.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Guys like Carter and Matt Faddes had plenty of experience, but weren’t exactly value for money.
If they’re good enough, they’re old enough.
It’s likely we will sign someone nearer to the end of their career, but those two younguns would be on my wish list.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

With World Rugby changing the residency rule to 5 years I had envisaged the Irish academies picking up a couple of NIQ 18 year olds to bolster the stock each season.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

That thought occurred to me as well, but they would be as unproven as our local lads. Unless they were supremely talented.