Review 1st block of games

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Review 1st block of games

Post by jean valjean »

Views on how we've handled the 1st set of games?

I think the break has came at the right time for us and the win down in munster was all about scraping through given the disruption of the previous 2 weeks. All in all we have to be very pleased with the table position and hopefully dan can use the next few weeks to get fitness built up and some injuries cleared. I would hope hendo and Addison are back for zebre as we will need them for the very tough run of games after that (leinster, sale, LR, connacht, munster, benetton, LR, Sale, stormers). Injuries will play a role but we are starting to get a bit of depth across the board now (10 and back row still a bit light). The emergence of T Stewart has been the highlight for me, and could be challenging Herring before the end of the season. Marshall has looked like he was never away and hopefully treadwell will get some gametime with ireland. Big Al and Carter have done a very good job and deserve a break along with marcus and DV.
The difference M moore and McCloskey make has been telling and we really need them to come back from Ireland camp in one piece.
Aird
Squire

Re: Review 1st block of games

Post by Aird »

From his initial appearance at Thomond it would seem like Rory Sutherland could be a a very useful addition to the squad.
Only disappointment was the Leinster result in the absence of the Emerging Ireland squad but although Ulster May have been at a disadvantage I think the tour helped with the Lions.
As the say swings and roundabouts but overall a good start to the campaign.
All we need now is some clarification of the Sharks game outcome.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think we are well positioned with a game in hand also. You couldn't ask for much more but significant tests to come.

Player wise it has been great to see the return of Stockdale (briefly) and Luke, from injury.

The front row situation is as good as I can recall in terms of depth. Marty is the best tight head in Ireland on current form. It's great for us that D4land don't agree. Sutherland looks the dogs knackers already. The tight head side, on paper looks decent. Jeff is a mystery at present though, he doesn't appear injured but has not featured much. As stated Tom Stewart is a welcome break through player.

Thr engine room has been decent also. Carter has found a level which he must now maintain. AOC never let's us down. Treadwell in very good recent form when fit. Human giraffe, Frank waiting in the wings also. The back row, has some signs of potential competition developing. Marcus/Refell, McCann/Timoney with Duane still a must to start.

Scapedoak at 9 has continued to look promising (unpopular opinion). Cooney remains a necessary in bigger games. At 11-15 there are many potent options when all are fit.

The lineout/maul has been such a strength. Huge credit to Roddy Grant and the coaching staff. A reliable source of points. I still have questions over our defence at times. With all our best defenders available it will naturally become more cohesive.

Mid term grade: A
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Scapedoak 😂
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Negatives
Lost at home, we should be winning all home games regardless of opposition
Turnovers we're 12th on the charts for turnovers won and lost
Ourur new signings are an unknown quantity (some performed really well against Exeter), Toomaga- Allen appears to be behind Milasinovich on the depth chart. We've not used them.

Positives
Three away wins out of three
Picked up a bonus point in every game bar one
Sutherland is a nice surprise and addition
Discipline, one yellow in opening six games, least penalties conceded in the league
Lineout success
Maul drive

Overall - B+
We have one win more than I thought we would have
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

A good steady start, probably where we would expect to be. As so often, the Leinster games are the ones that matter most and we can't expect anyone else to do us any favours against them. Well, maybe a Saffer side in SA so our 5 points against the Lions a few weeks ago could be very valuable, come the sharp end of the season. Any chance of the Sharks game being played sooner rather than later, when both sides have internationals away, rather than just us in the new year?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

We have only played leinster of the top 8 sides so things will get a lot harder.
We need marcus, Duane and timoney along with Herring to offer a real threat at the breakdown. Southerland looks to add that also and will be useful in the big games. Turnovers are a massive part of the game and its no surprise that the best sides target the breakdown on both sides of the ball.
I'm happy with where we are and have almost came round to the idea that we blow off the sharks game and give them the points. Unless we go there fully loaded the chances of a win are slight so the risk of another trip to shatsville for a hammering doesn't excite. A 4-1 points split and not having to travel would maybe do. The sharks play Edinburgh the week before the 6 nations break; wonder if the powers that be would ask them to come play ulster the following week on the proviso ulster do a 3 game trip to SA next year.

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I think the Sharks game will be later rather than sooner, logic being...... We could draw a Saffer team in Heineken Cup and be on our travels down there in any case which would be opportune to kill two birds with one stone, also if both ourselves and the Sharks are out of the Heine at QF, SF stage etc there will be free weekends. Not sure if the Currie Cup needs factored in.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18