Connacht v Ulster Fri 23rd Dec 7:35pm RTE2 / Viaplay Sports 2 / Super Sport / URC TV

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Connacht v Ulster Fri 23rd Dec 7:35pm RTE2 / Viaplay Sports 2 / Super Sport / URC TV

Post by Dave »

He'd be doing well if he had Tommy Bowe's pace.

As an aside, who would the top 3 back 3 players in the world be at present?

Kolbe, Penaud, Will Jordan, Habosi, Baloucoune?

Discuss....
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Connacht v Ulster Fri 23rd Dec 7:35pm RTE2 / Viaplay Sports 2 / Super Sport / URC TV

Post by StandUp »

Add Kurt-Lee Arendse to that list.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:25 pm He'd be doing well if he had Tommy Bowe's pace.

Discuss....
Defo NOT RB. Hasn't proven himself anywhere near enough at the top ( HC) / international level.
Exterminate all rational thought
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

ljsulster wrote:If mcilroy had top end pace he would be one of the best back 3 players in the world
Jesus wept

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:25 pm He'd be doing well if he had Tommy Bowe's pace.

Discuss....
Defo NOT RB. Hasn't proven himself anywhere near enough at the top ( HC) / international level.
Of course mate, I'm half joking with that. Who is your top three?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:34 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote:

Discuss....
:thumleft:

Hard to argue although not my area of expertise.
Rees Zammitt not on list?
I do like Hassell Collins of the Not Nots- but not yet in the above bracket.
Mercurial Hoggy
Kolbe & Penaud hard to argue.
I do like watching Mapimpi.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Personally I see stew Moore very much in the Stu Olding mould of player. Currently he’s for me a better option at 15 than Lowry who seems a little off form, although a good player.
Moore looks a very confident player loves a gap, decent pace, and has lovely hands, getting a player of his skill set in time and space is only ever going to be an attacking benefit. the question as per Olding is what’s his best position. I genuinely see him as a quality 15 with more exposure, and if he can do a job at 12/13 when needed that’s a hell of a benefit, and should mean defensively he’s pretty solid.

Mcilroy has a lovely offload, good step, he’s a decent player and an asset to UR, but not a starter / bench if picking from a full deck. No doubt he is taking as much of his opportunity as possible from getting his match exposure from injuries to Balacoune and Stockdale. The problem for wingers is simply if the attacking platform is nullified you go from looking like a world beater to also ran very quickly, which is only made worse if you have Ringrose playing 13 inside you.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I’d have will Jordan at 15 like in super rugby. Damian penaud is an amazing finisher, deceptively strong to stop, terrifies me everytime he gets the ball for fr v ire. Mapimpi is excellent but Kolbe is still my man, prob 3 best finishers in the world…..even Connor Murray wouldn’t box kick to them 3!!
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Hogg is a funny one. Always had a feeling big fish small pond about him. The aggro in the the Scot’s camp last couple yrs with indiscipline etc ain’t surprising to me with him as captain, and neither is Jamie Ritchie (good player), taking over captaincy.

Great try scoring record, but he has butchered numerous tries costing Scotland games - twice v ire. The last where he ignored a 2/1 against Keenan and knocked on in the tackle 2 metres out was telling. For me that was the moment he should’ve been axed as capt. Kinghorn was actually a very decent 15 prior to being shoe horned into 10 for Scotland. Frankly the team should’ve properly called him out in the review, no apology, just a pure “you’re out for yourself pal”.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:34 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote:

Discuss....
:thumleft:

Hard to argue although not my area of expertise.
Rees Zammitt not on list?
I do like Hassell Collins of the Not Nots- but not yet in the above bracket.
Mercurial Hoggy
Kolbe & Penaud hard to argue.
I do like watching Mapimpi.
LRZ is a good call too perhaps over looked for being welsh. Mapimpi is a try machine.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Some great talent about ATM Dave. A golden era? The great thing about the Saffers in the URC is we're seeing the next Saffa generation get a wider stage, especially with the HC too.

Same with their forwards. Coetzee in Japan ffs as he can't get a look in.

Pepsi Buthelezi is as good as Roos imo. ( I wonder if he's related to the King? )
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Marcell got past the home sickness issue in the end. Fair play to him.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

To be fair he owes UR little. Would take him again
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

ljsulster wrote:If mcilroy had top end pace he would be one of the best back 3 players in the world
Ha ha you’re getting a bit for grief for this, but I actually agree with you!! His defensive positioning / reads are exceptional, good tackler, superb footwork, great offloading game, deceptively strong - his big work ons would be kicking, and pace, and unfortunately there’s not much work you can do on the latter!! But I agree, if he had sexton’s pace he would be phenomenal..
..one more thing
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Mapimpi was very quiet here last year.

Penaud is ace but he’s got about fifty caps at centre.

I’m going for Ramos, Kolbe and Jordan.