Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Neill_M »

Andrew Brace will referee Ulster's New Year's Day clash with Munster, assisted by Andrew Cole and Paul Haycock, with Joy Neville as TMO in another all-Irish officiating team for an inter-provincial derby

Via @admckendry on twitter
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

4 big guns won’t be available for Munster unless they plan on resting them for Europe which I can’t see. They went all out against Leinster and came away with one point. Surprised they didn’t try and target the ulster match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Neill_M »

kingofthehill wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:43 pm 4 big guns won’t be available for Munster unless they plan on resting them for Europe which I can’t see. They went all out against Leinster and came away with one point. Surprised they didn’t try and target the ulster match.

It is a big derby between Munster and Leinster and it's not a good look for Munster as the home side not going with best side. They have the Lions at home in Round 12 before Europe, big game given the standings. I am guessing as best possible Ulster 23 and then rotation away at Benetton?

Although there is an alternative school of thought, going strong as possible in the two URC games and sending the 2nd XV to La Rochelle, low chance of victory etc then targeting the Sale game and try and go into Challenge Cup. That is unlikely however.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Neill_M wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:43 pm 4 big guns won’t be available for Munster unless they plan on resting them for Europe which I can’t see. They went all out against Leinster and came away with one point. Surprised they didn’t try and target the ulster match.

It is a big derby between Munster and Leinster and it's not a good look for Munster as the home side not going with best side. They have the Lions at home in Round 12 before Europe, big game given the standings. I am guessing as best possible Ulster 23 and then rotation away at Benetton?

Although there is an alternative school of thought, going strong as possible in the two URC games and sending the 2nd XV to La Rochelle, low chance of victory etc then targeting the Sale game and try and go into Challenge Cup. That is unlikely however.
Internationals can only play 7 out of the 9 matches in this block.
Can’t see them resting them in Europe which means it will have to be ulster as they have to yet to rest them. I’m talking about Beirne, Casey, Carbery and O’Mahoney.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Neill_M »

kingofthehill wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:55 pm
Neill_M wrote:

Internationals can only play 7 out of the 9 matches in this block.
Can’t see them resting them in Europe which means it will have to be ulster as they have to yet to rest them. I’m talking about Beirne, Casey, Carbery and O’Mahoney.

They have all played in the 5 games in this block so by your 7/9 rule, have to sit out both Ulster game and Lions game if Munster want to use them in Heineken Cup.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Munster will do what leinster did to them, i.e. pick a few extra fringe players and tell them to prove they deserve a shot.
Remember also they beat us without beirne and POM up here last year in a do or die league game (granted we were suffering from toulouse hangover). If they 'rest' carbery then we are worse off as well IMO. Hopefully we get a few back for this, a bit more cutting edge out wide would be nice alongside a fired up Duane.
Will be a dogfight no doubt with brace needing to get control of the breakdown early.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:Munster will do what leinster did to them, i.e. pick a few extra fringe players and tell them to prove they deserve a shot.
Remember also they beat us without beirne and POM up here last year in a do or die league game (granted we were suffering from toulouse hangover). If they 'rest' carbery then we are worse off as well IMO. Hopefully we get a few back for this, a bit more cutting edge out wide would be nice alongside a fired up Duane.
Will be a dogfight no doubt with brace needing to get control of the breakdown early.
I’m happy with Murray playing. Casey was the reason they beat ulster last year.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Which Ulster players are subject to the player management rule?

Herring, Treadwell, Henderson, McCloskey, Hume (currently out), Lowry, Baloucoune (currently out) ?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Neill_M wrote:Which Ulster players are subject to the player management rule?

Herring, Treadwell, Henderson, McCloskey, Hume (currently out), Lowry, Baloucoune (currently out) ?
Ulster should be close to fully loaded (injuries excluded) as they rested a few in that first match back after the internationals.

Baloucoune and Hume will play against Munster is my guess.

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

kingofthehill wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Which Ulster players are subject to the player management rule?

Ulster should be close to fully loaded (injuries excluded) as they rested a few in that first match back after the internationals.

Baloucoune and Hume will play against Munster is my guess.

Big game for Hume up against Frisch who has already overtaken him in the Irish pecking order according to some.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

The tap and go’s from 5 metres will be worth the ticket alone. Ulster showed the way to the try line to Blade (8 stone dripping wet) and Butler, Munster waved Penny and Sheahan through, so at a guess they’ll have been told to try tackling by Rowntree and McFarland, but who was listening?
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:16 pm Andrew Brace will referee Ulster's New Year's Day clash with Munster, assisted by Andrew Cole and Paul Haycock, with Joy Neville as TMO in another all-Irish officiating team for an inter-provincial derby

Via @admckendry on twitter
Not much chance if Joy Neville is TMO. She is a good ref but poor TMO. If an Ulster player broke wind on the pitch she would claim it was a f`ecking hurricane.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:50 pm

Benetton have been very good at home, if we go over there anything other than full strength I don't think we will get a result. They've won 5 from 6 at home in the league this season. They then rotate their squad when on the road.

The 2nd XV to La Rochelle is the answer, then target the Sale game. As you say it's unlikely. Does a 9th or 10th finish get you a home tie in the next round of the Challenge Cup? If yes, then that is the answer.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:22 pm Which Ulster players are subject to the player management rule?

Nearly all of those players have been absent for games though.

Ulster really need one, if not both, of TOT or Moore available. The scrum, when EOS and Milo came on, last week was the avenue that got Connacht back into the game.

Is the Samoan All black injured or just not as good as Milo? surely if he can scrummage at all, he’s worthy of some gametime?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:55 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:50 pm

Benetton have been very good at home, if we go over there anything other than full strength I don't think we will get a result. They've won 5 from 6 at home in the league this season. They then rotate their squad when on the road.

The 2nd XV to La Rochelle is the answer, then target the Sale game. As you say it's unlikely. Does a 9th or 10th finish get you a home tie in the next round of the Challenge Cup? If yes, then that is the answer.
If Ulster finished 9th/10th in their Pool, they would have an away tie in the round of 16 of the Challenge Cup to the 3rd/4th from Pool A from that competition (currently Bristol/Connacht). Can't get a home tie in the Challenge Cup Quarter Final / Semi Final UNLESS, a team who finished in first / second in their Challenge Cup pool manage to lose at home v lower ranked side from same competition. Final of both competitions at Lansdowne Road of course.