Ulster V Stormers Friday 27th 7.35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster V Stormers Friday 27th 7.35pm

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:56 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:26 am
big mervyn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:04 am
StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:47 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:25 am

Wabs
Ah well, at least Gilroy won’t have to put up with it for too much longer…
Yes. Big elephant in that room. Gilroy discussing Jacob's situation and not a mention of his own.
Honestly overstayed his time. Should've been gone years ago, for his own career and to stop cluttering up the squad with an unnecessary salary. Perfect example of comfort zones and soft Ulster. Wouldn't happen at Leinster
Dave Kearney is playing for them today.
Don't be undermining my argument with facts ffs.
Exterminate all rational thought
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:39 pm I can definitely see the logic of both arguments here. I’d love to see JTA get a contract, but NIQ’s should be the first names on the team sheet.
I don’t know what the correct answer is.
That's not how we use NIQs these days. in the 2016-17 season we had Franco van der Merwe, Marcell Coetzee, Ruan Pienaar and Charles Piutau. Since then, we've been reducing our dependence on NIQs. We get one big name NIQ at a time - Coetzee, now Vermeulen, next season Kitshoff - and the rest are there to provide squad depth, reliability and experience but not block Irish-qualified players - guys like Henry Speight, Sam Carter, Matt Faddes, Alby Mathewson, and Jeff Toomaga-Allen, useful players who get plenty of game time but aren't the first names on the team sheet.

We're right not to rely so heavily on foreign players. There was a time that a half-decent Aussie, New Zealander or South African would automatically be head and shoulders above most home-grown players, but that's not the case any more. Standards for home-grown players are much higher than they used to be. We played against the likes of Kitshoff, Siya Kolisi and Lukhanyo Am last year, genuine international stars, and they didn't outclass us. Besides, there aren't many players of that standard available, and we can't offer the kind of money the French can.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

damianmcr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:28 pm Why not no9? Surely they are less likely to block the signing because two Irish players are ahead of him if you see my logic. Obviously you'd have to get value for money and not paying him top wages.
Didn't block him last year as he 1 of our 3 NIQs with Carter and DV8

Believe current ruling is 3 NIQs for Munster, Leinster and Ulster.
Exception made for medical joker.

NIQ quota does not apply to Connacht.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:29 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:07 pm Kitschoff
World Cup, Junior U20 IRB Chanpionship, URC League Winner

Ewers
European and League Winner

TBC 3rd NIQ
Winner, Winner, Winner

I've as big a crush on JTA as the next guy but this talk about getting him signed up for next season can only happen if there is special dispensation for Moores injury. You cannot have a 3rd choice prop taking up an NIQ spot.
Third choice? :lol:
Def up for debate now, he's behind Moore, we could sign Furlong from Leinster and he'd still be behind Moore for me.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

paddybrown wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:20 pm
StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:39 pm I can definitely see the logic of both arguments here. I’d love to see JTA get a contract, but NIQ’s should be the first names on the team sheet.
That's not how we use NIQs these days. in the 2016-17 season we had Franco van der Merwe, Marcell Coetzee, Ruan Pienaar and Charles Piutau. Since then, we've been reducing our dependence on NIQs. We get one big name NIQ at a time - Coetzee, now Vermeulen, next season Kitshoff - and the rest are there to provide squad depth, reliability and experience but not block Irish-qualified players - guys like Henry Speight, Sam Carter, Matt Faddes, Alby Mathewson, and Jeff Toomaga-Allen, useful players who get plenty of game time but aren't the first names on the team sheet.

We're right not to rely so heavily on foreign players. There was a time that a half-decent Aussie, New Zealander or South African would automatically be head and shoulders above most home-grown players, but that's not the case any more. Standards for home-grown players are much higher than they used to be. We played against the likes of Kitshoff, Siya Kolisi and Lukhanyo Am last year, genuine international stars, and they didn't outclass us. Besides, there aren't many players of that standard available, and we can't offer the kind of money the French can.
Paddy, that was simply poor recruitment and lack of resources. Look at how Munster and Leinster recruit NIQ’s. First names on the sheet when fit.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:28 pm
paddybrown wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:20 pm

Paddy, that was simply poor recruitment and lack of resources. Look at how Munster and Leinster recruit NIQ’s. First names on the sheet when fit.
Look at the two NIQ’s we have next year. Are you seriously trying to say they won’t be the first names picked?
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Leinster's current NIQs are Vakh Abdaladze, Michael Ala'alatoa, Jason Jenkins and Charlie Ngatai. None of them would be first choice in their positions.

Munster's current NIQs are RG Snyman and Malakai Fekitoa. You could argue that Snyman would be first on the team sheet if fit, but when's he ever been fit?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jeff seems a good character and he's a family man. Definitely a good guy to have around. The FIRFU will take particular delight in saying no to this one. They are sick bastids.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Ala’alatoa ha played more games for Furlong this season.
The only lock that has played more than Jenkins this year is Moloney. Jenkins is first choice when fit.
Nagatai has played more than any other centre this season.
Fekitoa has played more than any other centre for Munster this season.
Stats from URC website.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

NIQ’s should not be recruited just a a squad filler.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:57 pm Jeff seems a good character and he's a family man. Definitely a good guy to have around. The FIRFU will take particular delight in saying no to this one. They are sick bastids.
That is exactly my fear.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Jason Jenkins now theres a quality NIQ signing, non high profile, should have been value for money.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:13 pm Jason Jenkins now theres a quality NIQ signing, non high profile, should have been value for money.
Absolutely. That was cracking recruitment.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

If Cooney gets selected for Scotland he might be our 3rd NIQ spot, but id love big Jeff to stay - seems like a top guy and he's been playing really well.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Silverstu wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:13 pm If Cooney gets selected for Scotland he might be our 3rd NIQ spot, but id love big Jeff to stay - seems like a top guy and he's been playing really well.
FIRFU will say Cooney is holding back Irish talent.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.