Sharks v Ulster Saturday 25th February Noon Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Sharks v Ulster Saturday 25th February Noon Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:01 pm Would like to see more of Stewart Moore on the pitch. With Lowry not having the same attacking impact he once had I'd be for giving him a run of games at full back.
Is it because Ulster's attacking strategies are blunt?
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Sharks v Ulster Saturday 25th February Noon Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:10 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:24 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Moore is such a smart player. Stewart, Sheridan and McCann young bulls. How is Jones near the squad with these two capable of playing 6?

I thought Flannery inventive and definitely worth persevering with.

Mcilroy caught stone cold shooting up for Sharks last try. Shocker
Jones is in because of his lineout. That’s were Mccann struggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mcnabney looks very good for the u20s and is own do their main jumpers. If ulster can get mcnabney and McCann into the same backrow they’d work well together.
An Ulster born 7 would finalise a rare all Ulster born back row. Wonder where we could find one good enough? :duh: :banghead:
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:51 pm
Big-al wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:10 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:24 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Moore is such a smart player. Stewart, Sheridan and McCann young bulls. How is Jones near the squad with these two capable of playing 6?

I thought Flannery inventive and definitely worth persevering with.

Mcilroy caught stone cold shooting up for Sharks last try. Shocker
Jones is in because of his lineout. That’s were Mccann struggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mcnabney looks very good for the u20s and is own do their main jumpers. If ulster can get mcnabney and McCann into the same backrow they’d work well together.
An Ulster born 7 would finalise a rare all Ulster born back row. Wonder where we could find one good enough? :duh: :banghead:
1. Reid
2. Stewart
3. O’toole
4. Sheridan
5. Henderson
6. McCann
7.Rea
8. Mcnabney

Wouldn’t be out of the question that Ulster could field an entire homegrown pack and be competitive in the next season or two.

Mcnabney and Reid are the two unknowns I suppose. McNabney looks a very talented and athletically gifted player, Reid will hopefully develop his scrummaging with time as well.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:49 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:01 pm Would like to see more of Stewart Moore on the pitch. With Lowry not having the same attacking impact he once had I'd be for giving him a run of games at full back.
What attacking strategies?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:
What attack?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:20 pm
StandUp wrote:
What attack?
Attack out?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:20 pm
StandUp wrote:
What attack?
Attack out?
Was never in.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:34 am
MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:42 am
allezlesverres wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 am Look I don't want to be mean but seriously, how many times did he get clean perfect ball with one defender to beat? I think 3 times. His footwork was poor. For the first squandered chance he was galloping at 90mph with one to beat on the left wing and all he needed to do was veer right and beat his defender in a footrace to the right corner flag which he could have done easily. He woukd have skinned his defender in no time. . Instead he took the contact (badly for how bid and strong he is) and got turned over (again). Don't even start me on his defence and high ball.
Think it's a bit early to write him off, I thought yesterday was the most encouraging showing from him. In terms of him being turned over though, one thing I wonder is if he's too fast for his own support players. If he thinks he's going to take contact, should he slow down a bit to give his support a chance.

Would also like to see him give the chip and chase a go too. Suspect, as has been mentioned, that his pace is such an asset he hasn't needed to really work on anything else. Would like to see him given a few more chances over time to see if and how he develops.
In fairness none of us want this guy to fail- quite the opposite given his rare raw pace, but he currently has too many flaws in his game to be nothing more than squad filler. I hope it can be trained into him, but instinctive feel for your position is a difficult one- its almost muscle memory and not reverting to type under pressure.
Whoever the f#ck hasn't spotted his carrying in the wrong hand flaw needs a boot in the hole.

Anyway, I'll leave the intricacies of back play to those who know something about it. Keep it in the pack- scrum half's only there to put into the scrum, and 10 for restarting the game and kicking to touch.... :stir: :thumleft:
I take you at your word in not wanting him to fail but the tone of some others comments would suggest otherwise from them - it almost feels as if he as one man had beaten the 15 man Sharks he'd still have been criticised!

He is perhaps a victim of the initial hype about his pace a couple of years ago when playing pre season games when still at school in that the expectation levels are now very high. I think this was perhaps his third start - its early in his career and I'm with Mighty Rearranger and others in thinking he needs a bit more time. There are plenty of other examples of young centres & back three players who didn't start well and came good - the GLU, Tommy Bowe etc.

I thought he did better yesterday, his pace got us out of a hole a couple of times - some decent coaching (and learning on his part) and he could be a great asset
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Despite the comments, to be fair Yoda I would doubt any of us on here want him to fail- much is borne of frustration. That would be plain stupid. But its a ruthless Pro game, not club rugby- UR are failing him with the basics if they see his potential, but fail to act on eg the right hand/ left hand swap. He had a nailed on run in and fumbled a straight forward pass from Luke in the first half. Maybes he's trying too hard, like Jacob.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:54 pm Despite the comments, to be fair Yoda I would doubt any of us on here want him to fail- much is borne of frustration. That would be plain stupid. But its a ruthless Pro game, not club rugby- UR are failing him with the basics if they see his potential, but fail to act on eg the right hand/ left hand swap. He had a nailed on run in and fumbled a straight forward pass from Luke in the first half. Maybes he's trying too hard, like Jacob.
Agreed and I think the frustration comes from the hype. He'll only improve if he gets opportunity to gain experience - 1 or 2 games at a time and being put in a make shift team isn't a fair go
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Sexton could have a really decent club career if he simply masters the basics. His pace alone would see him score and get to things others wouldn't. I fear for the current coaching set up. There is no Jaredesque character to mentor him. Imagine we had kept Ruan. Ideal for this scenario.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I think the frustration comes from the fact that it's very rare to see a player at this level so poor at pretty much every single basic element of the game. If Sexton wasn't really, really fast he wouldn't be within a sniff of pro rugby, that's how unremarkable his other attributes are. Running with the ball in the wrong hand, dropping simple enough passes, not good under the high ball, no footwork whatsoever, weak tackling, it's worrying.

He needs to improve his rugby and improve it fast if he wants a career at Ulster.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

He's clever and a good distributor, and playing at fullback his kicking game is improving. I'd like to see him have a run at out half.

Sheridan was superb on Saturday - very assured in the lineout. I think he'll be upgraded to a senior contract before the end of the season.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:17 am I think the frustration comes from the fact that it's very rare to see a player at this level so poor at pretty much every single basic element of the game. If Sexton wasn't really, really fast he wouldn't be within a sniff of pro rugby, that's how unremarkable his other attributes are. Running with the ball in the wrong hand, dropping simple enough passes, not good under the high ball, no footwork whatsoever, weak tackling, it's worrying.

He needs to improve his rugby and improve it fast if he wants a career at Ulster.

That's a very cruel post. The young lad gave up a highly promising athletic career to join Ulster Rugby. Give him another season to see how he gets on.
The last thing a young lad needs is someone like you coming on here and annihilating him. We will see how he gets on after an extended run of games.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:17 am I think the frustration comes from the fact that it's very rare to see a player at this level so poor at pretty much every single basic element of the game. If Sexton wasn't really, really fast he wouldn't be within a sniff of pro rugby, that's how unremarkable his other attributes are. Running with the ball in the wrong hand, dropping simple enough passes, not good under the high ball, no footwork whatsoever, weak tackling, it's worrying.

Very very harsh. It may be he won’t make it, but no-one can be sure of that at this stage. As others have said he needs a decent run of games combined with good coaching.