Plastic Pitch

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Plastic Pitch

Post by jean valjean »

Dave wrote:
Bobbievee wrote:And maybe all the better for it?I
Certainly an improvement on some of the loudmouth " see how many pints I can hold" brigade observed at both Kingspan and away matches.
Some of them maybe even on here,............?
I hate the nobs who put pints on the ground in standing areas, who then preceed to cry when someone inadvertently kicks one over.
It's a fine balance Dave. For those who like to bring a few pints at once to the terrace there should be a certain level of protection afforded but not without responsibility. Firstly they need to set the pints to the back of the step and not in the middle and secondly they need to offer some level of forwarning to those walking past. They can have no complaints if one is accidently knocked over during a point of jubilence however. I do take issue with those who by want of getting a spot early believe it entitles them to an unobstructed view. If there is a space below, then they should expect it to be filled at some stage; and pot luck if it happens to be a 6ft 5" latecomer. We should start a thread on terrace etiquette.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

jean valjean wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:49 pm
Dave wrote:
Certainly an improvement on some of the loudmouth " see how many pints I can hold" brigade observed at both Kingspan and away matches.
I hate the nobs who put pints on the ground in standing areas, who then preceed to cry when someone inadvertently kicks one over.
It's a fine balance Dave. For those who like to bring a few pints at once to the terrace there should be a certain level of protection afforded but not without responsibility. Firstly they need to set the pints to the back of the step and not in the middle and secondly they need to offer some level of forwarning to those walking past. They can have no complaints if one is accidently knocked over during a point of jubilence however. I do take issue with those who by want of getting a spot early believe it entitles them to an unobstructed view. If there is a space below, then they should expect it to be filled at some stage; and pot luck if it happens to be a 6ft 5" latecomer. We should start a thread on terrace etiquette.
A point of jubliance at Kingspan! What year was that ?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:
Dave wrote:
I've seen people use the barriers to rest their extra pints on. You have to get there early to secure one. Maybe the 2BC could advise.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jetstream wrote:
jean valjean wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:49 pm
Dave wrote:
A point of jubliance at Kingspan! What year was that ?
Probably a sending off. We love that more than tries.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:37 pm
jean valjean wrote:
Dave wrote:
I've seen people use the barriers to rest their extra pints on. You have to get there early to secure one. Maybe the 2BC could advise.
Not at all ideal if it’s even the slightest bit windy and you also risk the ignominy of knocking your own pint over.

Standing at the very front of the terrace affords you the relative luxury of your own bit of concrete ‘table’ at around knee height.

This constitutes a safe haven for enough pints to be getting on with (at least until half time) with the occasional danger of a Sparky ‘high-fiver’ preventing any complacency.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

The plastic pitch is more about making money from other fund stream than anything to do with playing rugby….. I suppose at least they won’t need a groundskeeper as it will look after itself 🤔
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Knowing UR someone will attempt to mow it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:15 pm Knowing UR someone will attempt to mow it.
There will be a heatwave in August and it will melt resulting in September fixtures being played at the OrDS
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:15 pm Knowing UR someone will attempt to mow it.
There will be a heatwave in August and it will melt resulting in September fixtures being played at the OrDS
They will still get the leaf blowers out.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

It appears that this decision is being forced through by the state of the pitch which is not exactly a ringing endorsement of either the UR management nor the grounds team When is the full report from the investigation that is allegedly taking place into the La Rochelle fiasco going to be released.
Will the guilty party be Ulster Rugby or the ERPC if the later are they going to compensate Ulster Rugby ? If it is Ulster Rugby then what action is being taken over it.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Aird wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:27 pm It appears that this decision is being forced through by the state of the pitch which is not exactly a ringing endorsement of either the UR management nor the grounds team When is the full report from the investigation that is allegedly taking place into the La Rochelle fiasco going to be released.
Will the guilty party be Ulster Rugby or the ERPC if the later are they going to compensate Ulster Rugby ? If it is Ulster Rugby then what action is being taken over it.
What grounds team are you referring to ?

Report buried
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Aird wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:27 pm It appears that this decision is being forced through by the state of the pitch which is not exactly a ringing endorsement of either the UR management nor the grounds team When is the full report from the investigation that is allegedly taking place into the La Rochelle fiasco going to be released.
They don’t have a groundsman …. They let them all go before the La Rochelle match does no one realise this… maybe it explains the issue
firebell53
Novice

Post by firebell53 »

We must have one of the worst pitches in the League. Way to many matches played on the pitch, that’s the problem..
Fewer matches ,better pitch. No need for a plastic pitch. Less matches and a top class grounds person will help solve the problem.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

firebell53 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:18 am We must have one of the worst pitches in the League. Way to many matches played on the pitch, that’s the problem..
Fewer matches ,better pitch. No need for a plastic pitch. Less matches and a top class grounds person will help solve the problem.
This is a bit of a ballance. I understand the sentiment, but when you're in the club game, getting to play at Ravenhill for your respective final is a real highlight and I wouldn't want it to be lost. I know there have been times in the past too that the finals have been moved due to the state of the pitch. The schools Cup semi finals could maybe be cut?

Leinster and Munster both have it quite handy with the spare provincial grounds (Doneybrook and Musgrave), but Ulster don't really have that luxury. If we are going down the route of a synthetic pitch I'd much prefer one of those 50/50 ones, but who knows what will happen.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

MightyRearranger wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:29 am
firebell53 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:18 am We must have one of the worst pitches in the League. Way to many matches played on the pitch, that’s the problem..
This is a bit of a ballance. I understand the sentiment, but when you're in the club game, getting to play at Ravenhill for your respective final is a real highlight and I wouldn't want it to be lost. I know there have been times in the past too that the finals have been moved due to the state of the pitch. The schools Cup semi finals could maybe be cut?

Leinster and Munster both have it quite handy with the spare provincial grounds (Doneybrook and Musgrave), but Ulster don't really have that luxury. If we are going down the route of a synthetic pitch I'd much prefer one of those 50/50 ones, but who knows what will happen.
Is it not the case Ulster Rugby basically got a new shiny ground for free from the government with conditions of community use etc? For example the junior finals this week and Schools Cup games being played on the pitch?

The hybrid pitches as per Lansdowne Road / Thomond Park I think are very expensive to put down and maintain?

Is the pitch still being ripped up in the Summer?