A new low…?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

De-aRt
Novice

Re: A new low…?

Post by De-aRt »

The Met U18 team this year(and previous years) competed in the Ulster Carpets U18 competitions against more established rugby clubs. Whilst they maybe weren't as competitive this year as some other years, they have won these competitions in previous years. I believe there may be a little animosity from the clubs also as the Met team would have access to more resources than clubs that can only train once a week on an evening for an hour and a half and play a match on a Saturday morning. As part of the course the students have at least three afternoon pitch sessions and three morning gym sessions every week, with access to GPS technology too. They do play friendlies against schools but I'm not sure which ones and how regularly. I would doubt it would be RBAI 1st XV for example. Again I would expect the "better" players from the schools are encouraged to stay on for 6th form anyway by the schools themselves and probably their parents too.
The course itself seems very good from an educational and opportunity standpoint and can lead on to HND and degree level qualifications in Sport Science and the Met also run a boxing and football academy too. They have links to some other colleges in England, including Hartpury where I believe Jonny May went to study. I believe Adam McBurney came through the course and a few students have progressed to play rugby league too.
De-aRt
Novice

Post by De-aRt »

Dave wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:08 pm The best rugger chaps go to the grammar. It's natural selection.
This attitude, unfortunately, still appears to be very common perception. Whilst I know your comment was made jokingly Dave, the best jokes have the element of truth! When my son was taking part in a rugby summer camp at the end of P7 there was an ulster representative coach there who seemed very put out that he wasn't going to a "rugby school" the following year! Not exactly wanting to encourage change in the old status quo with that attitude.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Potential future Ulster academy players who don't attend "rugby schools" are encouraged to do so.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Ds69
Novice

Post by Ds69 »

De-aRt wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:42 am
Dave wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:08 pm The best rugger chaps go to the grammar. It's natural selection.
This attitude, unfortunately, still appears to be very common perception. Whilst I know your comment was made jokingly Dave, the best jokes have the element of truth! When my son was taking part in a rugby summer camp at the end of P7 there was an ulster representative coach there who seemed very put out that he wasn't going to a "rugby school" the following year! Not exactly wanting to encourage change in the old status quo with that attitude.

That's disappointing, pretty much cutting out half the community then, when they should be pushing hard ! My kids go to an integrated primary school, there are after schools hockey, soccer, basketball, gaa etc, but no rugby and never has been in 40 years!

Didn't know much about schools rugby, this thread is a interesting read.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Deraless wrote:Potential future Ulster academy players who don't attend "rugby schools" are encouraged to do so.
Ferris and farrell? Am sure there are others
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:
Deraless wrote:Potential future Ulster academy players who don't attend "rugby schools" are encouraged to do so.
Ferris and farrell? Am sure there are others
Ferris at friends (albeit didn’t get back in after 5th year)
Farrell at Campbell (albeit left non playing rugby school)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Rory Best went to portadown college.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Big-al wrote:Rory Best went to portadown college.
Got to a medallion shield semi I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Developing young talent is crucial for the success of any rugby team, and there are several strategies that Ulster rugby could consider to produce more young talented future professional players:

Invest in youth development programs: Ulster rugby could invest in youth development programs that identify and nurture young talent from an early age. These programs could include coaching clinics, talent identification camps, and grassroots competitions that give young players the opportunity to showcase their skills.

Build partnerships with local schools and clubs: Ulster rugby could build partnerships with local schools and clubs to help identify and develop young talent. This could involve sending coaches to work with youth teams or offering scholarships to talented young players.

Provide high-quality coaching: Providing high-quality coaching to young players is essential for their development. Ulster rugby could invest in developing their coaches to ensure they have the knowledge and skills needed to develop young talent.

Create a clear pathway to the professional team: Creating a clear pathway to the professional team can help young players see a clear progression and provide them with motivation to develop their skills. This could involve creating a dedicated academy program or establishing clear criteria for selection to the professional team.

Foster a culture of excellence: Fostering a culture of excellence within the club can help young players see the importance of hard work, discipline, and dedication. This could involve creating a strong team culture, setting high standards for performance, and providing opportunities for mentorship and leadership development.

Overall, developing young talent is a long-term process that requires investment, dedication, and patience. By implementing these strategies, Ulster rugby could help to produce more young talented future professional players and ensure the long-term success of the club
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
De-aRt
Novice

Post by De-aRt »

Dave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:09 am Developing young talent is crucial for the success of any rugby team, and there are several strategies that Ulster rugby could consider to produce more young talented future professional players:

Invest in youth development programs: Ulster rugby could invest in youth development programs that identify and nurture young talent from an early age. These programs could include coaching clinics, talent identification camps, and grassroots competitions that give young players the opportunity to showcase their skills.

Build partnerships with local schools and clubs: Ulster rugby could build partnerships with local schools and clubs to help identify and develop young talent. This could involve sending coaches to work with youth teams or offering scholarships to talented young players.

Provide high-quality coaching: Providing high-quality coaching to young players is essential for their development. Ulster rugby could invest in developing their coaches to ensure they have the knowledge and skills needed to develop young talent.

Create a clear pathway to the professional team: Creating a clear pathway to the professional team can help young players see a clear progression and provide them with motivation to develop their skills. This could involve creating a dedicated academy program or establishing clear criteria for selection to the professional team.

Foster a culture of excellence: Fostering a culture of excellence within the club can help young players see the importance of hard work, discipline, and dedication. This could involve creating a strong team culture, setting high standards for performance, and providing opportunities for mentorship and leadership development.

Overall, developing young talent is a long-term process that requires investment, dedication, and patience. By implementing these strategies, Ulster rugby could help to produce more young talented future professional players and ensure the long-term success of the club
+1...excellent post Dave
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Definitely a lot of sense written there probably too much sense for UR.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:09 am Developing young talent is crucial for the success of any rugby team, and there are several strategies that Ulster rugby could consider to produce more young talented future professional players:

I’m not reading all that. :lol:
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

With you all the way Dave.
The big question is how much will it cost and where will the money come from? That's where the rubber really hits the road.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

That post has more than a whiff of ChatGPT about it Dave :lol:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Loki wrote:That post has more than a whiff of ChatGPT about it Dave Image
Don't know what you mean....

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?