Cooney staying?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

paddybrown
Novice

Cooney staying?

Post by paddybrown »

Good news: according to the Belfast Telegraph, John Cooney's about to sign a new contract with Ulster.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 08952.html
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Cooney staying?

Post by Bart S »

Would indeed be great news. A class act all round.

In fact he is so good that I think any new player signed who significantly surpasses our expectations of them should be referred to as "a John"
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Brilliant if true. An all round great guy and scrum half. An inspiration in all that he does both in rugby and the community.
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

Hopefully He'll get a look in with Ireland, form permitting, when Sexton croaks
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bogbunny wrote:Hopefully He'll get a look in with Ireland, form permitting, when Sexton croaks
Sexton might not die that soon.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Wonder if farrell had a word to say with sexton going, you are back in the mix next season.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Scenes if Leinster sign PJ.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I’d imagine the JC Scottish WC dream is over. No doubt it’d pi$h the jock 9s off (decent selection) but JC would be an asset.

What a waste of a player, delighted he feels he has a future at UR. He’s been a real gent by all accounts and a hell of a player on the pitch.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

So touted himself as being available for Scotland with the RWC arriving fast … talks to get into the Scottish side even for 6N all meaning he would jump ship from Ulster and play in Scotland .. except they didn’t want him so he’s back … welcome home John
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Any idea why he's not starting for Ulster? Surely they can't be saying Doak is better.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

It seems fairly obvious to me that Dan has a definite policy of keeping strong finishers on the bench to remedy our regular problem of collapsing in the last ten minutes, Cooney's one of those, and it's been working. Didn't work today, but I'm not sure what would have done.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

solidarity wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:48 pm Any idea why he's not starting for Ulster? Surely they can't be saying Doak is better.
As stated previously, he’s nursing an injury.

We should have started him today though.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:
solidarity wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:48 pm Any idea why he's not starting for Ulster? Surely they can't be saying Doak is better.

I don't get this nursing an injury line. I understand that overall fitness may be lacking if you haven't trained properly but in that case you start them and take them off when gassed. If doak pulled up after 5 mins would we not have had to play cooney for 75?
To me if anyone is fit to be on the bench they should be fit to play 79 minutes. His injury doesn't appear to stop him kicking or passing.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:59 am
justinr73 wrote:

I don't get this nursing an injury line. I understand that overall fitness may be lacking if you haven't trained properly but in that case you start them and take them off when gassed. If doak pulled up after 5 mins would we not have had to play cooney for 75?
To me if anyone is fit to be on the bench they should be fit to play 79 minutes. His injury doesn't appear to stop him kicking or passing.
Agreed.

Billy has been "nursing" one for as long as I can remember but still starts nearly every game.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:05 am
jean valjean wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:59 am
justinr73 wrote:

Agreed.

Billy has been "nursing" one for as long as I can remember but still starts nearly every game.
:lol: