If the URC was a proper league ...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

If the URC was a proper league ...

Post by BR »

Did some fag packet calculations tonight.

What would happen if we didn't have to play top half teams twice? If the league system were more fair?

I give you the standings of what I'll call the Cables League

1. Lein 60
2. Uls 58
3. Sto 47
4. Gla 43
5. Con 42
6. Bul 40
7. Mun 38
8. Sha 35
9. Lio 34
10. Car 32
11. Tre 21
12. Edi 26
13. Sca 26
14. Osp 21
15. Dra 18
16. Zeb 9
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: If the URC was a proper league ...

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

We'd still lose to Leireland in the final?
Exterminate all rational thought
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

If yer ma was yer da?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

We'll see how it finishes off.

As I have long advocated for the 2nd derby match to be dropped (from the league standings, at least) I thought I should really put my money where my mouth is and do the sums.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

interesting concept, unfortunate circumstances lead to me being at the game last night with 5 layers of clothing to stave off the inclement weather, A young man of my acquaintance suggested that Ulster aren't a great team, and I can accept the headline notion of that when you are miles behind the Mexicnuts it would be ridiculous to argue with that headline.

However as your feg-pack calculation shows, barring the dreadful collapses we had mid-season particularly throwing away wins late in the game v Munster & Treviso, we are without question with a few others, the best of the also-rans in the league. In general, throughout the season we win matches we should win.

I also bristle when I hear that we are supposedly in a nonsense league, there is not a league in the world that doesn't have a wide range of abilities or lack of. I cite the case of INgurlund and their current champions Tiggers, a club that if you can be fond of an English club, I am. A proper club, with proper supporters too. Never forget that they enjoy a place on our mantlepiece, we have given them the rounds of the kitchen at Ravenhill regularly and they have zero away wins in the series whereas we have "had them" over there on more than one occasion.

This year or most years they are not a better team than Ulster, they are the English champions, so no more need be said.

We are amongst the best teams in a league with one giant team, but no we are not a great team. Crap performance last night in many ways but a comfortable scoreline, if not performance. AS Shan was wont to say, ULSTER WON A GAME ULSTER SHOULD HAVE WON.

BR, a worthy notion on bringing fairness to the URC but it will never happen as you doubtless understand. When cobbling together 5 national unions, it can never be perfect.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:34 am Did some fag packet calculations tonight.

What would happen if we didn't have to play top half teams twice? If the league system were more fair?

I give you the standings of what I'll call the Cables League

1. Lein 60
2. Uls 58
3. Sto 47
4. Gla 43
5. Con 42
6. Bul 40
7. Mun 38
8. Sha 35
9. Lio 34
10. Car 32
11. Tre 21
12. Edi 26
13. Sca 26
14. Osp 21
15. Dra 18
16. Zeb 9
How did you determine which 3 interpros to include on your fag packet?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Update:

1. Lein 60
2. Uls 58
3. Sto 47
4. Bul 45
5. Gla 43
6. Con 42
7. Mun 38
8. Sha 35
9. Lio 34
10. Car 32
11. Tre 21
12. Edi 26
13. Sca 26
14. Osp 21
15. Dra 18
16. Zeb 9
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:41 pm
How did you determine which 3 interpros to include on your fag packet?
Only fair way to do it was to include the 1st derbies played, relying on the 'radomness' of the fixture list. Caveat is that half the teams get 7 home games and half get 8, which results in next week's Misjudgement Day in Wales being included.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:04 am interesting concept, unfortunate circumstances lead to me being at the game last night with 5 layers of clothing to stave off the inclement weather, A young man of my acquaintance suggested that Ulster aren't a great team, and I can accept the headline notion of that when you are miles behind the Mexicnuts it would be ridiculous to argue with that headline.

However as your feg-pack calculation shows, barring the dreadful collapses we had mid-season particularly throwing away wins late in the game v Munster & Treviso, we are without question with a few others, the best of the also-rans in the league. In general, throughout the season we win matches we should win.

I also bristle when I hear that we are supposedly in a nonsense league, there is not a league in the world that doesn't have a wide range of abilities or lack of. I cite the case of INgurlund and their current champions Tiggers, a club that if you can be fond of an English club, I am. A proper club, with proper supporters too. Never forget that they enjoy a place on our mantlepiece, we have given them the rounds of the kitchen at Ravenhill regularly and they have zero away wins in the series whereas we have "had them" over there on more than one occasion.

This year or most years they are not a better team than Ulster, they are the English champions, so no more need be said.

We are amongst the best teams in a league with one giant team, but no we are not a great team. Crap performance last night in many ways but a comfortable scoreline, if not performance. AS Shan was wont to say, ULSTER WON A GAME ULSTER SHOULD HAVE WON.

BR, a worthy notion on bringing fairness to the URC but it will never happen as you doubtless understand. When cobbling together 5 national unions, it can never be perfect.
Hoping the unfortunate circumstances improve Baggy.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

If it was a proper league, the final round of fixtures should all start at the same time.

They don't, which may give Ulster a slight advantage if Stormers fail to get at least 9 points from their final 2 fixtures.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Update:

1. Lein 65
2. Uls 58
3. Sto 47
4. Bul 45
5. Gla 43
6. Con 42
7. Mun 38
8. Lio 36
9. Sha 35
10. Car 32
11. Tre 21
12. Edi 26
13. Sca 26
14. Osp 21
15. Dra 18
16. Zeb 9
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Update:

1. Lein 65
2. Uls 58
3. Sto 49
4. Bul 45
5. Gla 43
6. Mun 43
7. Con 42
8. Lio 36
9. Sha 35
10. Car 32
11. Tre 21
12. Edi 26
13. Sca 26
14. Osp 21
15. Dra 18
16. Zeb 9
[/quote]
www.stoutboys.co.uk
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Some thoughts- given this league supports the principle clubs from 5 unions, it really is their national team development paths. The relative concentration of internationals across much fewer teams than the PRL and Top 14 gives the unions real opportunity to develop the cohesion that can be transferred to the national teams. Leinster represent the Apogee of that theory.

If the Italians get Zebre into some sort of shape similar to Treviso, and the Welsh get even 2 teams more competitive ( Scarlets, Cardiff and Sprays seem to be headed in the right direction again, ) then the League will be second only to top 14, and close to matching it in quality. It's already better than the PRL with an upward trajectory. The lure of French € being the obvious diluent
Exterminate all rational thought
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Update:

1. Lein 65
2. Uls 58
3. Sto 49
4. Con 47
5. Bul 45
6. Gla 43
7. Mun 43
8. Lio 36
9. Sha 35
10. Car 32
11. Tre 31
12. Edi 31
13. Sca 26
14. Osp 21
15. Dra 18
16. Zeb 9
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:04 am interesting concept, unfortunate circumstances lead to me being at the game last night with 5 layers of clothing to stave off the inclement weather,
Bout ya Mucker!!! :D

Sorry about yer unfortunate circumstances,

As for the inclement weather, what were you drinking?

Or has Spain turned you into a big girl's blouse?

Last night, as with every other fixture this season, I was at Ravenspan in shorts and short sleeved shirt.

Well, usually but not always, I have a light coat over me short sleeved Ulster shirt. Last night the coat went on for the second half. The shorts, canvas shoes and no socks have been a given at every match throughout the winter though. It does help to have MUM to stand behind when the wind and/or precipitation approach Biblical proportions though. And if my legs do get wet, they'll still dry quicker than MUM's trousers. :lol:

I thoroughly recommend it to all. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right