We need a ten, but we don't seem to know it.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: We need a ten, but we don't seem to know it.

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Deraless wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:36 pm BB mystically had his opportunity in a green shirt as well. Cant say his Ulster form ever waranted it but he had his chance nonetheless. Given his Ulsterness he will never be forgiven for the missed touch penalty though
Unfortunately it will be his legacy.
Fecking up a match winning score in the European Cup will be Freddie's.
At least they can compare brain farts round the table at Xmas.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

But, but he’s a very smart player who is good with the kids….
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

What's wrong with a five year project player? :scratch: :D :roll:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:08 amWe need Paddy.
Paddy Wallace was a better 12 than a 10. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:36 am
kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:The rumour I read was a contract offer from UR. Not a rumour he's leaving or intending to accept. He would be mad to do so with Sexton retiring.
Is there a link to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecrouch wrote:I hear we have offered Sam Prendergast (the Leinster Ireland U20s 10) a senior contract.
You're a bad man Dave. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:59 pm
Deraless wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:36 pm BB mystically had his opportunity in a green shirt as well. Cant say his Ulster form ever waranted it but he had his chance nonetheless. Given his Ulsterness he will never be forgiven for the missed touch penalty though
At least the latter was funny. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

StandUp wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:34 pm But, but he’s a very smart player who is good with the kids….
GOATs before they grew up to be GOATs?
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:09 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:59 pm
At least the latter was funny. :lol:
It's one of my "go tos" if I'm feeling a bit glum :lol: :lol: :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Ulster have bigger, and more pressing selection issues than Billy Boy.

There, I said it.

We need:

-A new TH or need to get Jeff to sign on for next year.
-A decent lock to cover for the 6 months that Hendy will be on the physio table. Treaders and AOC are fine for most URC games, but will get found out against top sides.
-Scott Penny or Will Connors to come north instead of being content with being 7th or whatever on Leinster's backrow depth chart

Fix the pack first, then go shopping for a 10.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

So It Is wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:25 am Ulster have bigger, and more pressing selection issues than Billy Boy.

There, I said it.

We need:

-A decent lock to cover for the 6 months that Hendy will be on the physio table. Treaders and AOC are fine for most URC games, but will get found out against top sides.
-Scott Penny or Will Connors to come north instead of being content with being 7th or whatever on Leinster's backrow depth chart

Nope, the biggest single issue in this Ulster side is flyhalf, not a 3rd choice prop, or likewise. The Ulster pack generally holds its own.

Our flyhalf can't kick, can't manage his backline, usually doesn't last 80 minutes in tight games. He's a Welsh regional level player.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Big-al wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:33 am
So It Is wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:25 am Ulster have bigger, and more pressing selection issues than Billy Boy.

There, I said it.

We need:

Nope, the biggest single issue in this Ulster side is flyhalf, not a 3rd choice prop, or likewise. The Ulster pack generally holds its own.

Our flyhalf can't kick, can't manage his backline, usually doesn't last 80 minutes in tight games. He's a Welsh regional level player.
Well if you are content with coming 2nd in the league every year, then yes, the currently Ulster pack is fine.

Holding their own is not the same as smashing the opposition and providing quality quick ball to the backs, as well as disrupting the opposition attack by making turnovers.

This is what Ulster need more than a new 10. Billy isn't great but he's not the reason why we can't beat big teams, despite what you may think.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Yes and No
Ulster struggle without possession and fail to maximise the benefit of the possession they have. The first is down to the pack, a fine unit against average opposition but lack the wherewithal when faced by pure power .The second is down to having average out half .

In order to play the territorial kicking game you don't kick for touch outside your own 22 you kick the ball as far as possible down field hopefully behind the double full backs and towards the weakest of the two -- ( he who poses the least threat running the ball back and has the weakest kick ) in the hope that they kick for touch.

Inside the 22 you require a player with a very long kick clearing the ball to the halfway and beyond --eg Lowe for leinster. Such a player available discourages teams from playing kick tennis --basically because you tend to lose both territory and possession if you try to play kick tennis ( assuming wind is absent as an assist )

I sense Cullen has been instructed by D4 he is going to have to lose at least 1 or 2 outhalfs -- as well as losing Sexton after the world cup hence Prendergast --given a runout in SA -- to look at his options --- because when it comes to who will be available -- it will be Cullen who will have first option.

Much as I miss The Ginger Prince he is now 5 years older than he left and might only have 2-3 seasons of top form left -- lets be honest about Sexton he is 3 years basically beyond his sell by date , existing behind cotton wool , protected by his scrum half , playing 2 metres further back from the pack to enable him to use his skill and experience and occasionally now bypassed as a 1st receiver .

Every player has sell by date -- and without a pack would Paddy improve Ulster soon enough .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’m guessing this is the first thread that started off with “Like (sic) Fitzgerald put it well”.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dharper wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:54 am If I saw Liz Hurley I’d ask her out…..doubt she’d say yes mind.
:lol: :lol: :lol: When you say you'd ask her out, I assume you are not talking about a fight?

Anyway, careful about the rush to sign all things Mexicana.

The following "great signings" turned out to be more or less muck, though this is harsh on one maybe 2:

Jack McGrath
Nordi Murphy
The Great Shinnerboots

All quality players in their day, just not at Ulster in the round.

The signing of Marty Moore was quality, but of course he was a Wassup, a rare breed these days, Cooney of course had long since left Mexico before becoming an Ulsterman and a great one at that.

More successful has been the garnering of lads with Mexican Blood but who were not wanted by Mexico
Al O'Connor
EOS
Nick Timoney

3 of the best

I admit to bias but wouldn't thank you for a Byrne, I'd live with Billy before those planks.

Billy may be a reformed Brit but he has heart & soul, the Nigel Brady of 10s, perhaps not the greatest you will see but you get 100% of what he has every time. I like that in a player & I like Billy.

Having seen with a degree of astonishment, the young Flannery getting 3 more years I sincerely hope that somebody knows WTF they are talking about, when his non-tackle @Sharks happened, I was reminded of the awful night when Humphreys Jnr became a turnstile in Cardiff, I almost shat my breeks, though admittedly Humph Jnr did many good things over the years.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:28 pm I’m guessing this is the first thread that started off with “Like (sic) Fitzgerald put it well”.
Lionel, I chortled, It seems hellish incongruous :thumleft:

A small step up from Fanning as indeed he was on the pitch but amongst players who got 30 caps or more, probably only Roger Baird had a worse strike rate. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.