We need a ten, but we don't seem to know it.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: We need a ten, but we don't seem to know it.

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:30 pm
Dharper wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:54 am If I saw Liz Hurley I’d ask her out…..doubt she’d say yes mind.
:lol: :lol: :lol: When you say you'd ask her out, I assume you are not talking about a fight?

Anyway, careful about the rush to sign all things Mexicana.

The following "great signings" turned out to be more or less muck, though this is harsh on one maybe 2:

Jack McGrath
Nordi Murphy
The Great Shinnerboots

All quality players in their day, just not at Ulster in the round.

The signing of Marty Moore was quality, but of course he was a Wassup, a rare breed these days, Cooney of course had long since left Mexico before becoming an Ulsterman and a great one at that.

More successful has been the garnering of lads with Mexican Blood but who were not wanted by Mexico
Al O'Connor
EOS
Nick Timoney

3 of the best

I admit to bias but wouldn't thank you for a Byrne, I'd live with Billy before those planks.

Billy may be a reformed Brit but he has heart & soul, the Nigel Brady of 10s, perhaps not the greatest you will see but you get 100% of what he has every time. I like that in a player & I like Billy.

Having seen with a degree of astonishment, the young Flannery getting 3 more years I sincerely hope that somebody knows WTF they are talking about, when his non-tackle @Sharks happened, I was reminded of the awful night when Humphreys Jnr became a turnstile in Cardiff, I almost shat my breeks, though admittedly Humph Jnr did many good things over the years.
Apart from BB limitations its the lack of a plan B that gets me. currently it's JC or ND moving to 10 if BB cowps
Exterminate all rational thought
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:06 pm
BaggyTrousers wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:30 pm
Dharper wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:54 am If I saw Liz Hurley I’d ask her out…..doubt she’d say yes mind.
:lol: :lol: :lol: When you say you'd ask her out, I assume you are not talking about a fight?

Anyway, careful about the rush to sign all things Mexicana.

The following "great signings" turned out to be more or less muck, though this is harsh on one maybe 2:

Jack McGrath
Nordi Murphy
The Great Shinnerboots

All quality players in their day, just not at Ulster in the round.

The signing of Marty Moore was quality, but of course he was a Wassup, a rare breed these days, Cooney of course had long since left Mexico before becoming an Ulsterman and a great one at that.

More successful has been the garnering of lads with Mexican Blood but who were not wanted by Mexico
Al O'Connor
EOS
Nick Timoney

3 of the best

I admit to bias but wouldn't thank you for a Byrne, I'd live with Billy before those planks.

Billy may be a reformed Brit but he has heart & soul, the Nigel Brady of 10s, perhaps not the greatest you will see but you get 100% of what he has every time. I like that in a player & I like Billy.

Having seen with a degree of astonishment, the young Flannery getting 3 more years I sincerely hope that somebody knows WTF they are talking about, when his non-tackle @Sharks happened, I was reminded of the awful night when Humphreys Jnr became a turnstile in Cardiff, I almost shat my breeks, though admittedly Humph Jnr did many good things over the years.
Apart from BB limitations its the lack of a plan B that gets me. currently it's JC or ND moving to 10 if BB cowps
….and that fellas is the crux of it for myself, nothing fully viable pushing BB….time and time again, he’s stayed on whilst injured, which when we are being squeezed inside our own 22, is a serious issue.
In terms of career decisions etc I like BB, definitely prepared to push himself outside home comforts. That said he is not a dominant 10 within our team, week in week out. We are a good game manager 10 short.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Christ I’d say Jimmy Gopperth would do a better job for a year
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Freddie Burns is IQ :duck:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

I'm coming round to the view ( and maybe he is too!!) that he is lucky not to be involved here.....from the perspective of the quality of rugby played and "job satisfaction" ........And Maybe the money involved!

Would he alone have been able to turn this sh**show around?

Congrats and enjoy PJ!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Interesting that even the GB Media never mention the oddity of PJ not being considered for Ireland.
The Vodaphone, BoI and IRFU PR tentacles must reach far.........
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

If PJ had stayed in Ireland , would IRFU by now had him playing for Leinster?
Discuss............
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Flannery should be on the same trajectory as crowley as there was not much between them in munster. Instead look at them now, one on the verge of going to a world Cup and the other struggling to get an A game. You can't argue there was such a gulf a year ago.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

jean valjean wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 am Flannery should be on the same trajectory as crowley as there was not much between them in munster. Instead look at them now, one on the verge of going to a world Cup and the other struggling to get an A game. You can't argue there was such a gulf a year ago.
What is the story with him?

I can only recall him playing a couple of times this year, and he looked grand.

Has he a bad attitude? Has been injured? Is he a shiite trainer? Does his face not fit? McFarland just plain doesn't like him?

According to the UR website, here are the mins played by our 10s this season:

-Billy Boy 1,183
-Flannery 128
-Madigan 71

I know Doak and Lowry have filled in but something just isn't making sense. . .
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

I agree flannery looked OK in his cameos this year. Far from the finished article and in truth not as good as BB (as matters stand), but he had potential and should have developed more. Like izzy and Sheridan, should have had more minutes.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

allezlesverres wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:53 am I agree flannery looked OK in his cameos this year. Far from the finished article and in truth not as good as BB (as matters stand), but he had potential and should have developed more. Like izzy and Sheridan, should have had more minutes.
I've said plenty of times on here that I don't think Billy is close to being our biggest concern, and I think a lot of flak he takes is overblown. But even still, its p!sh poor succession planning if he goes down with an injury and his replacements are barely playing. McFarland needs questioned on this. There is plenty of job sharing in other crucial positions like 2, 3, 8 and 9 after all.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

jean valjean wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 am Flannery should be on the same trajectory as crowley as there was not much between them in munster. Instead look at them now, one on the verge of going to a world Cup and the other struggling to get an A game. You can't argue there was such a gulf a year ago.
Crowley was always better. He was the reason Flannery was playing fullback.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

If Flannery played at Leinster he would look good with world class all around him. Discuss.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Deraless wrote:If Flannery played at Leinster he would look good with world class all around him. Discuss.
More play goes through the 10 with Leinster. BB, for example would struggle with all the kicking. He might have to do the odd flat pass.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?