Edinburgh

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Crasher79
Novice

Edinburgh

Post by Crasher79 »

Hey All

Edinburgh fan in peace here ,hope you all are well and looking forward to a cracking season .I’m heading over for the game at start of December , and was basically wanting to ask opinions on places to drink first and foremost and maybe some places to eat . Places were a couple of Edinburgh fans will be welcome 😂😂😂 . I’ve been to Belfast a few times but haven’t hit the bars , so any advice would be much appreciated .. cheers 🍻
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Edinburgh

Post by BR »

Happy to help, but can you give us a bit more to work with?

Do you know where you're staying (in the irish sense of he word; not the scottish)?
No offence - but what age group?
'Couple' - as in husband and wife (or similar) or couple of mates on the píss?
Are you likely to want quality restaurants, a good feed, a dirty kebab at 2 a.m.? (these things are by no means mutually exclusive)

Match is Saturday evening. There isn't much pub wise near ravenhill , and the bars in the ground are shíte. I like the Pavilion (aka the big house) on Ormeau Road (10 min walk to the ground). Good for a Happy Meal, if you fancy a steak. Next door to that is the Errigle - probably more popular with rugby crowd. Both good options for afterwards too. There are a couple of restaurants in that area too, but you'd likely need to prebook on a saturday night.

Down town - the Cathedral quarter is currently the centre of Belfast night life. Where exactly would probably depend on the above questions, but you could wander around and find your own level. But the Duke of York is popular for visitors (and locals) of all ages. (not that I'm implying anything about the age preferences of the current Duke of York).

Some establishments (especially those geared towards the younger crowds will have no sports-shirts policy at the door - this can be very inflexible and include Edinburgh rugby shirts.

Clubs (or what we used to call discos) - I'm no expert, but I've produced a few people who are, so let me know what's your bag, and I can check.

Touristy stuff - The Crown bar is still worth a visit - tourism and beers in one go. If you are interested in recent history of belfast, I would strongly recommend a walking tour from DC tours (google them). Titanic - never been (spoiler alert: it sank). Be aware, Belfast is a bit dead on Sunday morning, but if you've done right on Saturday night, this should not bother you.

Give us a shout and we can be as helpful as you like.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Crasher79
Novice

Post by Crasher79 »

Hi BR

Thanks for the reply , and good info , it’s a couple of mates on the pi$h , late 30’s … staying at The Malone in Eglantine Avenue .. food wise it would be a good feed then a dirty kebab around 2 in the morning 😃

But past the clubbing stage now but a rowdy good atmospheric pub would be fun , no doubt decked out in Rugby attire of some sort , so recognise this may limit the establishments that will let us in , you mention the bars at the stadium are tom kite ? We usually have a not bad pre match festivity set up going on at Edinburgh , was wondering if it was the same over there .

Again thanks for the insights 😃😃 , been before but that was for a girl who lived in Newtonards 😂😂
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Everything was going so well until... 'a girl who lived in Newtownards'.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Eglantine Ave is the University area - up there's traditionally the Bot; and the Egg has reopened as 'the Posthouse' or something - I haven't been in, but I hear it's decent, and good for watching sport.

But for choice it's hard to beat the cathedral quarter now days.

If you want banter about the rugby, then you'll be pretty diluted amongst the other Saturday night revelers anywhere except the Pavilion and Errigal (as they are closest to the ground). Also Malone RFC is near the ground and are usually helpful for visiting supporters.

Re Stadium entertainment - keep an eye out for announcements nearer the time. I'm not really in a position to comment as I usually try to stay in the pub until the last minute and get back asap. The quality of the stout at the ground is really that bad.

If youre here more than 1 night, I think I would consider: Match day - try the Posthouse early, then straight to the Pavilion/Errigal - then Ravenhill for the game (don't bother heading into the city centre, only to come back out). Back to those bars after.

Then on the other day do the Cathedral Qtr (Duke of York, Harp bar, John Hewitt - I'm probably missing out a few of the slightly younger type venues, you may prefer, but there's loads around there).

Anything else you need to know - just ask. And make sure to drop back in nearer the time for any last minute suggestions.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Crasher79
Novice

Post by Crasher79 »

Thanks for all the replies, weather is looking great 😂😂 , fly in tomorrow , had an invite to malone rugby club on Saturday , any good ? … also can you recommend a good Indian for Friday night ?? Cheers and disappointed you never took Glasgow out last week !!!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Crasher79 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:14 pm Thanks for all the replies, weather is looking great 😂😂 , fly in tomorrow , had an invite to malone rugby club on Saturday , any good ? … also can you recommend a good Indian for Friday night ?? Cheers and disappointed you never took Glasgow out last week !!!
Malone RFC is a decent spot, Archana on Dublin Road is a good spot for a curry. Yes, it is true about the ground, beer selection is awful especially the stout. The Northern Lights across the street from the Errigle is owned by Galway Bay Brewery, so a good spot if you like your ales. Their stout is decent.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Re Sunday morning St George's Market is worth a walk around. Plenty of eateries to help soak up the nights excesses and even grab a souvenir for the misses. Opens at 10.
Crasher79
Novice

Post by Crasher79 »

Cheers for the replies , do like an Indian so that will hopefully soak up the excess of the early morning beer start tomorrow , I’ll take a wander round the market too , there till Monday so that will straighten the head a bit before a few light ales watching the footy somewhere on Sunday 😂😂😂
Crasher79
Novice

Post by Crasher79 »

The Posthouse recommendation was a great shout !!!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Hope u enjoy the weekend crasher. Well deserved win tonight.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Well, Crasher, at least one contributer to this forum goes home happy.
All the best for the rest of the seson.
Crasher79
Novice

Post by Crasher79 »

Cheers guys , enjoying the last of the festivities before flying home tomorrow , was a great game and the setup you have is quite impressive , will be back , good luck for the rest of the season .. you will do well 🙂🙂