Ulster v Munster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster v Munster

Post by thecrouch »

What is the situation with Scott Wilson? I see he's in the academy but is he someone Ulster really have high hopes for and are putting a lot of effort into?

Every academy batch seems to have a mix of high expectations and no-hopers, is Wilson in the former category (or at least, was he viewed with high expectations before Friday night)? What year of the academy is he in?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:59 pm 24-year-old Jake Flannery has made a brilliant start to the season for Ulster at the outhalf position, but he's also one of the smartest people in Irish rugby: he received 625 points on his Leaving Cert and completed his degree in chemical engineering this autumn.

From Balls. ie
Aptly named site.

He's not as smart as Greg or Billy though.....
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:04 am It’ll be interesting to listen to this week’s podcasts.

To date, Rowntree has been allowed to get away with setting the narrative, and making his excuses, before the game.

Was there anything to stop Munster “targeting” the fixture?

Did Dan whinge about Connacht targeting the fixture last week?

Does Rowntree not realise that the only reason Munster sneaked through the semis by a point was because Leinster targeted the La Rochelle game and picked the B team?

Someone absolute rubbish talked and written in the last week or so and I was particularly disappointed with Bradley for jumping on the bash Ulster bandwagon on the Left Wing pod.

There’s no reason why Ulster can’t be in the mix this season, particularly if Ravenhill can pump up the volume,which is partially dependent on speeding up the pathetically slow service at the bar.

Maybe some artificial turf would help?
Bradley is a WAB. His constant "Northern Province" narrative is particularly annoying. He spouts the same tired rhetoric
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

HammerTime wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:46 pm Can see what you are saying but for too long journalists and ex-players have all to frequently been part of the ulster are brill brigade. I know many don't like Ferris but I like the fact he isn't afraid to get stuck into individuals or the team as a whole when they aren't at that standard required. Which for Ulster is quite often.
Tammy and Rory aren't quite there yet ...
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:30 pm What is the situation with Scott Wilson? I see he's in the academy but is he someone Ulster really have high hopes for and are putting a lot of effort into?

Every academy batch seems to have a mix of high expectations and no-hopers, is Wilson in the former category (or at least, was he viewed with high expectations before Friday night)? What year of the academy is he in?
Realistically TC there should be no no hopers given a proper Academy pathway, but it always seems that way with UR.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:11 pm
HammerTime wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:46 pm Can see what you are saying but for too long journalists and ex-players have all to frequently been part of the ulster are brill brigade. I know many don't like Ferris but I like the fact he isn't afraid to get stuck into individuals or the team as a whole when they aren't at that standard required. Which for Ulster is quite often.
Look at the financial report on the Ulster website a few weeks ago, I noticed a certain T Bowe is on the professional games committee at Ulster rugby!!!

S Best is also on the same committee.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:25 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:11 pm
Look at the financial report on the Ulster website a few weeks ago, I noticed a certain T Bowe is on the professional games committee at Ulster rugby!!!

S Best is also on the same committee.
Table tennis? Tiddlywinks? The Eton biscuit game? The mind boggles
Horse15
Novice

Post by Horse15 »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:30 pm What is the situation with Scott Wilson? I see he's in the academy but is he someone Ulster really have high hopes for and are putting a lot of effort into?

I had never heard of him and do see the academy have a fair number of front row. He did well though and shows promise. I do worry re the academy as quality is light (watched qub game) and nobody impressed, front rows players not coping, back rows staying away from the action and a backline not completing a simple back move. Plenty of big named fathers hanging around but their kids are nowhere near the mark. Qub will really struggle if that’s the best they have.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:08 pm
Jetstream wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:59 pm 24-year-old Jake Flannery has made a brilliant start to the season for Ulster at the outhalf position, but he's also one of the smartest people in Irish rugby: he received 625 points on his Leaving Cert and completed his degree in chemical engineering this autumn.

From Balls. ie
Aptly named site.

Hendo is a mathematical genius according to Andy.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:25 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:08 pm

From Balls. ie
Aptly named site.

Hendo is a mathematical genius according to Andy.
Or"Sums" as Ginger Mcloughlin once proclaimed when asked his profession by a posh English committee member
Ds69
Novice

Post by Ds69 »

Saw this comment on the 42 "As a former youth coach and u20 Leinster selector I always keep an eye on youth coming through. Now I firmly believe that Scot Wilson and David McCann will be capped by Ireland in the next two seasons. Both are rare quality players."
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

We’ll know more about Scott Wilson this Friday. Lions have a good scrum.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Big-al wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:39 pm We’ll know more about Scott Wilson this Friday. Lions have a good scrum.
If he's selected. With Dan you never know, we could be back to watching French and McGrath.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:39 pm We’ll know more about Scott Wilson this Friday. Lions have a good scrum.
They do. But no better testing ground with decent support around him
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Can we acknowledge Billy’s role in young Scott’s excellent cameo please?

If he hadn’t let Casey past him, McGrath gets binned and the lad is coming on cold for a very challenging ten minutes against a decent front row.

Could have set him back years.

Billy’s rugby IQ to the rescue there, for all you naysayers.