Best Starting XV 2023/24

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Ivor
Novice

Best Starting XV 2023/24

Post by Sir Ivor »

This would be my choice as best available

SK
RH
TOT
KT
IH
DE
DMcC
NT
JC
BB
JS
JH
SMcC
RB
SM

Whats the chances of seeing them all on the pitch at the same time?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Best Starting XV 2023/24

Post by big mervyn »

Definitive or just an initial selection?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Kitshoff
Herring
Moore
Henderson
Sheridan
Ewers
Timoney
McCann
Cooney
Burns
Stockdale
McCloskey
Hume
Balacoune
Moore
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Kitshoff
Herring
TOT
Sheridan
Henderson
Ewers
McCann (at 7)
Timoney
Doak
Burns (hopefully Flannery by end of season)
Stockdale
McCloskey
Hume
Baloucoune
Moore
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Presume you guys were at Harry’s two starts at lock, in Durban and Galway, in order to have been so impressed?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:23 pm Kitshoff
Herring
TOT
Sheridan
Henderson
Ewers
McCann (at 7)
Timoney
Doak
Stockdale
McCloskey
Hume
Baloucoune
Moore
Addison at 15 if fit! >flog Torn between Luke and Hume at 13, again assuming full fitness. Moore at 3. Treadwell and Hendo.
Bench would be: Warwick ( torn with EOS- Horses for scrummaging team courses) Stewart, TOT ( ATM), Sheridan, Marcus Rea ( ATM) Doak, Flannery, Moore.

Crothers/ Wilson if they continue could push to challenge bench hopefully
Exterminate all rational thought
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:17 pm
Herring
TOT
Sheridan
Henderson
Ewers
McCann (at 7)
Timoney
Doak
Stockdale
McCloskey
Hume
Baloucoune
Moore
Addison at 15 if fit! >flog Torn between Luke and Hume at 13, again assuming full fitness. Moore at 3. Treadwell and Hendo.
Bench would be: Warwick ( torn with EOS- Horses for scrummaging team courses) Stewart, TOT ( ATM), Sheridan, Marcus Rea ( ATM) Doak, Flannery, Moore.

You are seriously underestimating O’Toole. A fine young prop who was correctly awarded Man of the match in his last game.

He has far more positive involvements during the match than any other tighthead in then ulster squad.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:42 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:17 pm
Herring
TOT
Sheridan
Henderson
Ewers
McCann (at 7)
Timoney
Doak
Stockdale
McCloskey
Hume
Baloucoune
Moore

You are seriously underestimating O’Toole. A fine young prop who was correctly awarded Man of the match in his last game.

He has far more positive involvements during the match than any other tighthead in then ulster squad.
I'm not seriously underestimating anyone Al. The thread is best starting XV 23/24.

When fully fit, Moore is a seriously underrated and underestimated TH. Imo He's currently a better scrummager than TOT; injury aside, probably near his peak- but the "wrong shape" for the current and previous Irish management. We need a locking TH like Moore if we have any serious intentions of competing in Europe or indeed against Saffers in URC .
TOT is not yet at his peak, but has considerably progressed from the TOT of 2 years ago.

If the thread was best XV 25/26, there is every chance TOT would be in my starting XV. And hopefully Wilson as bench pushing starter.
TOT is in the current vogue mould of a mobile ball playing Irish TH. But we need more in the armoury against the likes of Toulouse and Racing. Both Props strike a complementary balance. But no way is TOT the current equal of MM in pure scrummaging ability, the basic requirement of a European standard TH. That's not to debase him, just MM is currently the better scrummager. Ditto AW Vs EOS.

As an aside a front row of Buckley and MM with any one of the top 4 Irish hookers is the equal of any combination of Porter, Killer, Bealham or Furlong. But their faces or body shapes don't fit.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

More front row b*****it
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

For the debateable positions:
Tight Head has to be Moore, superior scrummager to TOT
2nd row, Sheridan as Treadwell simply isn't good enough. I could argue he was the worse 2nd row when we played Munster
Scrum half Cooney, brings class and quick ball
FB Moore on the assumption Addison will never be fit for any length of time.
Out half is an interesting one, I don't think we are ever going to progress too far with Burns being first choice. I think Lowry is too small so lets see how Flannery gets on.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

When fit I still really like Lowry at 15. I think our back line has always looked a lot more dangerous when we have a second 'playmaker' in it. That used to be Paddy Wallace at 12, but more recently its always been from full back, Payne, Addison and Lowry. Moore is a classy player, but think having that second decision maker in the backs tends to give us an extra dimension.

The other positions that aren't nailed down in my eyes are:
- hooker
- tight head (for me this is horses for courses, would start Moore in games against big French packs)
- lock (Hendo + ?, it'll be Treadwell for the Bath game, but hopefully Sheridan will push him over the season)
- SH (Dan going to go with Doak)
- FH
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Currently the game is a 23 man squad -- with a 5/3 split on the bench . With the 5 forwards being used and the 3 backs being sticking plaster normally

Thus much of the debate between forwards id really unnecessary because the alternatives will normally be used anyway.

The debate then becomes one of will A or B be the better sub on the day because some opposition may have a weak bench which Ulster might want to exploit later in the game .

Also some players blend in to a game easier than others from the bench .

Squad rotation is fine for most positions on a field except the back row . I am of the opinion the back row roles are such and positioning and marking such that it is better to change the back row only when necessary .Leinster seldom change their back row personnel but achieve a natural group rotation due to internationals and enforced resting . Thus they create natural understudies for each position in the back row players are not playing 6 one week and 8 the next with a different 7 .

The mid field 5 is the heart of your defence .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lurgan Lad wrote:For the debateable positions:
2nd row, Sheridan as Treadwell simply isn't good enough. I could argue he was the worse 2nd row when we played Munster
Out half is an interesting one, I don't think we are ever going to progress too far with Burns being first choice. I think Lowry is too small so lets see how Flannery gets on.
Agree with much of that. Moore is the nailed on first choice TH. TOT just isn't convincing at scrum time but will improve over time. Sheridan continues to impress, Treadwell's form is so patchy. He was pushing an Irish selection at times last year but throws up too many soft displays. Cooney remains number one, imo.

I really like the look of Flannery. Hopefully Dan continues to see that he needs game time. He could really push Burns which is a major positive. Lowry I think will be used as a sub more. He has the ability to make things happen in ways that others can't. We have some interesting options in the back field. Moore is quite versatile but he scares me with the low trajectory of his clearing kicks.

In summary, we are brill.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:38 pm More front row b*****it
>dance :lol: here to help the show ponies BV
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:17 am For the debateable positions:
I do like Sheridan, but Treadwell seems to drift in and out of form. When he's on, he's good, but he's frustrating. Sheridan has the dog in him though, like Hendo and prime Strangler. Sheridan is the future 6/4 locking depth hopefully with the other 2 under 20s lads.