Dan’s Not the Man.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by Dharper »

Bart S wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:39 pm [quote=Silverstu post_id=732914 time=<a href="tel:1702372312">1702372312</a> user_id=2523]
[quote="Bart S" post_id=732912 time=<a href="tel:1702350464">1702350464</a> user_id=665]

I've said elsewhere, Ulster's option beyond Hendy at lock are woeful for this level of rugby. AOC may be a "warrior" in some people's eyes but he's nowhere near good enough for this level. I reckon there must be about a dozen lock options across the other provinces who would be better than what we have as one of our starters.

If benching for Ulster hasn't given Tredwell the boot up the hole he needed then he's a lost cause frankly who very occasionally flattered to deceive and even then, mainly in the green shirt.

But what has Ulster done about this glaring problem......
Harry Sheridan? He's about the same height as AOC, very abrasive, huge guy and massive work ethic.. no idea why he hasn't been involved I the last two weeks ..
Izzy seems to be missing as well..
[/quote]

It's perfectly plausible that Sheridan plays at lock at the weekend, but Ulster get well beaten and he carries the can for it, despite having hardly played all season. He'll get sent into exile whilst the likes of AOC, Matty and Greg clock up a few more appearances.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t blame any pup giving 100%, I doubt any reasonable knowledgeable UR fan would. For me I have a real problem with mediocre experienced players, they are the guys who block young players not NIQs. Those players need dropping for poor performance, not rested or rotated, dropped.

The coaches need to risk the pups more, I’m sure the fans would back them….they need to be brave. A new attack could take a yr to bed in, but absolutely zero chance, if our set piece, or ruck ball quality is brad pitt. Izzy is an athletic guy who needs big investment and that means some games, I hope IH is mentoring them both. If they don’t kick on fine, but give them a bloody chance. How can you improve or be motivated being stuck behind poor quality players?

No wonder we can’t attract good young players, nevermind tom kite coaching, we don’t play them.

I hope someone pulls Dan up on Sheridan if he doesn’t pick him. The status quo just isnt good enough!
SOU
Novice

Post by SOU »

Realistically we’ll need the IRFUs permission/assistance to remove Dan whilst he’s in contract. We could very easily lose 4 out of the next 5 fixtures and sadly that’s probably what’s needed to force the IRFU & Petries hand.

A few names that the IRFU might be more willing to explore for obvious reasons.

Paul O’Connell
Jared Payne
Jeremy Davidson
Jerry Flannery
James Coughlan
Bernard Jackman
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Jackman! A failed coach and a poor journalist.
Paul O'Connell had a very poor record before getting the Irish gig. Irish lineout and scrum was very poor at World Cup. That's down to him.
Flannery, Payne have never been a head coach and Coghlan I think only temporarily.
I can't see Davidson in the running. Too nice a guy for what will be a demanding role.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

If Jackman ever manages us we are finished.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

How about Noel McNamara? Did a great job with irish U20s, highly rated would be someone the IRFU would want to bring back for a head coaching gig. Attack coach with Bordeaux currently ..
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Nothing will happen til end of season earliest.
I do think Humphries will hold UR to account, but that is 6/18mths away.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Marco wrote:Picking up on the football analogies, excellent article in today’s IT by Ken Early, citing the difference Emery has made at Villa. 13 months ago Stevie G took them to Fulham and got annihilated 3-0, and he was sacked within an hour. In the weekend’s win over Arsenal, 9 of the same 11 Villa players who played in Fulham were playing, and won, a few days after outplaying City. This was a club record straight 15th home win in a row, with only two significant new signings. Surely this does say a lot about the impact, and in this case a sustainable one, that the right coach can make, even without many recognisable players to anyone outside the club. Dan would likely slot in very well elsewhere, so it would be a win win for club and individual alike if he moved on. Some big boy conversations needed if we lose on Saturday, will that be our Fulham result?
Under Gerrard, many thought the players weren't good enough. It looked like an entire team out of form (sound familiar). Emery was able to bring in his own men. Christian Purslow was removed as CEO. They brought in Monchi as Director of football. Even hired new scouts. Essentially the Ulster equivalent would be getting rid of all coaching staff, including Dan, Petrie and Bryn. The key would be in finding a world class coach and shaping the club around their vision. Not likely, that the irfu would give any coach that level of control. As others have said if the structures don't change , a new coach may have similar problems.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Ulster rugby had it all, good crowds, hardcore support, its fair share of Lions, regularly 6-7 playing for Ireland, increasing cross community outreach, a free stadium care of UKGov (best in British Isles for a 15,000 crowd imho), etc etc. My thoughts on the cause of our demise were crystallised when I heard Luke Fitzgerald, on the Left Wing podcast yesterday, saying that Kingspan used to be a really difficult place to go to, but increasingly it’s not been, and “now that they’ve gone and put down a 3G pitch, thus in part neutralising the impact of the Belfast weather, it’s now seen as a very winnable fixture by visitors, so don’t expect anyone to send their B teams there…”, we’re seen as fair game for an away win, the masters of inconsistency.

How far we have fallen, ALL of which was under our control imo, so it’s years of poor management (both operational and financial) and weak coaching teams that have brought us to this point. It is recoverable, but don’t hold your breath, minimum 5 years to rebuild this particular puzzle, but has to start with a clear out. I’ll still be cheering on Saturday, might even queue for the pathetic 30 minutes that it can take to even get a drink (more lost revenue) before kick off, but even a win doesn’t change any of the above. If you want a potential corner to turn around from, I would respectfully suggest that the minute’s silence for Syd, and all that he stood for, before kick off, could be as good as any!
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Silverstu wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:57 pm How about Noel McNamara? Did a great job with irish U20s, highly rated would be someone the IRFU would want to bring back for a head coaching gig. Attack coach with Bordeaux currently ..
A good choice,
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Eddie OSullivan.... :duck:
Exterminate all rational thought
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Fans view on coaches is typically based on recent jobs and sometimes it takes brave nanagement to look beyond that. I am sure if you looked back that the appointment of Lancaster at Leinster was not met with universal joy post England's World cup fiasco in 2015 or in football , Emery at Aston Villa, after his Arsenal stint.

Fans need to be realistic about who can be attracted and give that person a chance.
ljsulster
Novice

Post by ljsulster »

Richie Murphy for me- knowledge of the academy players and young senior lads as well as playing an effective well structured attractive game plan
NoPayneNoGain
Novice

Post by NoPayneNoGain »

Bart S wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:25 pm McComish would be a centurion by now if he'd stuck around
Bravo 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Genuinely loved this take
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

What's with the Jackman hate, out of interest? The only person i've spoken to who has worked with him spoke quite highly of him. From where I'm sitting, it seems to me like he did a very good job at Grenoble before things started to fall apart a bit after 'the incident', then would up at the Dragons where it didn't work out. The Dragons gig seems like a bit of a hiding to nothing, the fact someone didn't turn them into world beaters doesn't mean too much about them. Has he been up to anything since?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

MightyRearranger wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:45 pm What's with the Jackman hate, out of interest? The only person i've spoken to who has worked with him spoke quite highly of him. From where I'm sitting, it seems to me like he did a very good job at Grenoble before things started to fall apart a bit after 'the incident', then would up at the Dragons where it didn't work out. The Dragons gig seems like a bit of a hiding to nothing, the fact someone didn't turn them into world beaters doesn't mean too much about them. Has he been up to anything since?
He's the head coach of Bective in the Leinster League.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND