Ulster v Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster v Connacht

Post by jean valjean »

Doak was taken out by a miss pass but stockdale was in no man's land. If he comes into the line and leaves the last man for the fullback then he has to take someone out. He was caught in 2 minds and it was a good step by the winger. Baloucoune and addisons missed tackles were worse in my opinion as they only had one job and they failed to do it.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Much worse.

Didn’t really help Stockdale that Addison was ambling over from the other side of the pitch.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Re general Poor backline in attack

The backline post first phase is static, very flat, and several things are noticeable.
Flannery crabs across the pitch pre pass, backline follows at time close to a 45 angle….it’s that bad. Receiving the ball at a standing start, wingers wide static and totally turned in to receive the ball then they run!…straight into traffic.

Flannery needs to straighten, whether he was closing to make passes easier in conditions…I’m reluctant to accept.

I personally think it starts unsurprisingly with the pack. Slow scrappy breakdown ball is no platform to attack off. Maybe ball retention was preferable against the wind who knows what the strategy was. How a backline can generate speed into a move when they don’t know when they are getting the ball is difficult.

We have little turnovers to play off. We lack power at the breakdown to effectively clear consistently. Also, we lack forward carriers who can get over the gainline to help generate quick ball to attack off, Coetzee has been a big miss from that point of things. Everything is slower, scrappier, and barely beyond the gainline. Add in a fast aggressive d, and flat UR backline, and we are struggling.
McCann is a loss as he has dynamism. Ewers I’ll hold judgement on, a big gnarly forward to do the dirty work, however he has a lot of miles on the clock in the prem and his best days prob behind him. I’d like to see more of Sheridan.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Hard to argue with any of that.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dharper wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:25 am Re general Poor backline in attack

The backline post first phase is static, very flat, and several things are noticeable.
Flannery crabs across the pitch pre pass, backline follows at time close to a 45 angle….it’s that bad. Receiving the ball at a standing start, wingers wide static and totally turned in to receive the ball then they run!…straight into traffic.

Flannery needs to straighten, whether he was closing to make passes easier in conditions…I’m reluctant to accept.

I personally think it starts unsurprisingly with the pack. Slow scrappy breakdown ball is no platform to attack off. Maybe ball retention was preferable against the wind who knows what the strategy was. How a backline can generate speed into a move when they don’t know when they are getting the ball is difficult.

We have little turnovers to play off. We lack power at the breakdown to effectively clear consistently. Also, we lack forward carriers who can get over the gainline to help generate quick ball to attack off, Coetzee has been a big miss from that point of things. Everything is slower, scrappier, and barely beyond the gainline. Add in a fast aggressive d, and flat UR backline, and we are struggling.
McCann is a loss as he has dynamism. Ewers I’ll hold judgement on, a big gnarly forward to do the dirty work, however he has a lot of miles on the clock in the prem and his best days prob behind him. I’d like to see more of Sheridan.
I'd go Timoney, McCann and Ewers for ballast with Sheridan back up. But we need more velocity ruck time.
Exterminate all rational thought
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

What happened to Ewers ?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Heard his youngster was ill and not in right frame of mind to play was worried about the kid
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Those who consider Stockdale and Baloucoune are weak in defence fail to understand the back line defence which is not based on a man to man approach ie out half marks - out half inside centre marks inside centre etc

It is based on two men marking on -- one to tackle ?? and one to contest the breakdown if possible ,Using this approach results in the defending wing being in field , not marking his wing but marking or supporting the defence on the outside centre . it being assumed that any kick to wing can be covered while the ball is in the air and the wing will be marked by the full back and the cross field cover defence ie back row.

The problem with the system is the defending wing tends to be infield rather than out on the wing and against a deep attacking line the defensive wing may face a two on one attack -- with the instruction mark the ball carrier -- the wing is the responsibility of the cover defence a well timed pass leaves the defensive wing in no mans land .

Against a flat back line the it is an effective defence but a deep back line may exploit any weakness in approach or timing and failure in the cover defence which may be taken out with a little obstruction off the ball / or prolonged holding etc or in the preceding ruck or maul .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:07 am Those who consider Stockdale and Baloucoune are weak in defence fail to understand the back line defence which is not based on a man to man approach ie out half marks - out half inside centre marks inside centre etc

It is based on two men marking on -- one to tackle ?? and one to contest the breakdown if possible ,Using this approach results in the defending wing being in field , not marking his wing but marking or supporting the defence on the outside centre . it being assumed that any kick to wing can be covered while the ball is in the air and the wing will be marked by the full back and the cross field cover defence ie back row.

The problem with the system is the defending wing tends to be infield rather than out on the wing and against a deep attacking line the defensive wing may face a two on one attack -- with the instruction mark the ball carrier -- the wing is the responsibility of the cover :scratch: :scratch: defence a well timed pass leaves the defensive wing in no mans land . :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Against a flat back line the it is an effective defence but a deep back line may exploit any weakness in approach or timing and failure in the cover defence which may be taken out with a little obstruction off the ball / or prolonged holding etc or in the preceding ruck or maul .
:scratch: :scratch:
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Whatever about defensive systems, but Bobby B's missed tackle 1 yard from the touchline was a disgrace. You'd be disappointed if you saw a U13 try and make a grab tackle instead of getting a shoulder hit, that close to the touchline.

Can't excuse those type of mistakes.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

volvo wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:24 am Heard his youngster was ill and not in right frame of mind to play was worried about the kid
Aye. The BelTel reported that.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

So It Is wrote:Whatever about defensive systems, but Bobby B's missed tackle 1 yard from the touchline was a disgrace. You'd be disappointed if you saw a U13 try and make a grab tackle instead of getting a shoulder hit, that close to the touchline.

Can't excuse those type of mistakes.
Totally agree but what the hell has happened to him!? He used nail guys like that into touch. The coaching is seeing guys regress rather than improve.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

From Munster fans forum.

"Ulstering, to ulster? (The inconvenient habit of falling off tackles at the most inconvenient times?)

I ulster,
You ulster
he/she ulster
we ulster
you ulster
they ulster"

I guess that is a fair enough commentary. But it begs the question could we create a verb" to munster.

"to munster" Definition to borrow recklessly and not repay your debts. Examples.

" I munstered a loan from the Bank
"They munstered a loan from FIRFU"
"They munstered funds to buy players".
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

To be fair, if a bank has let you Munster them, it's their problem and not yours. Fair play to you...
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Harsh from Munsterfans but very accurate. I think it extends to more than just tackling. Making that error at the wrong time. Diack in the pro 12 final. Stockdale in the HEC quarters versus Leinster. It's in the blood.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?