Doping

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jetstream
Steward

Doping

Post by Jetstream »

In publishing the 23rd edition of its annual review, Sport Ireland details the record-high number of 1,415 tests carried out in 2022, across 32 different sports. It did not find a single anti-doping violation of any kind.

Depending on the exact interpretation of those numbers, it means either that Irish sport is running squeaky clean when it comes to doping or else that the testing methods aren’t quite doing their job as well as they might.

The deterrent part is running higher than ever: the total number of tests – just over three-quarters of which were out-of-competition – is up on the 1,354 tests carried out by Sport Ireland in the previous report, for 2021, when the the tests carried out across 28 different sports.

Not a single case!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Doping

Post by Big-al »

Does sport Ireland cover NI as well?
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

I'd suspect there is a problem with doping in rugby, but likely before the testing kicks in. Its a big step up in terms of physicality from schools to senior rugby and that 16-21 demogaph is where I'd expect it to be at its worst. If imagine the bigger names are tested often enough to make it very difficult to get away with it, hypothetically speaking. Supposedly taking steroids gives lasting benefits in terms of increasing blood flow that last year's after the drugs have stopped being taken.
NoPayneNoGain
Novice

Post by NoPayneNoGain »

Well maybe not just rugby.

Recent world records in swimming that have been in place for 15 years getting beaten by 2- almost 3 seconds.... Makes you wonder. Long standing record blown out of the water by a massive margin.

I've often looked at Cian Healy and wondered. He doesn't look natural.

I also remember pascal pepe giving heaslip 2 fractured vertebrae in a six nations game and he was able to return in the same 6Ns championship. Does that sound normal? Returning to exercise so quickly never mind international collision sport. Hmmm