Harlequins v Ulster Sat Jan 20 1pm KO TNT Sports 2

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: Harlequins v Ulster Sat Jan 20 1pm KO TNT Sports 2

Post by Bobbievee »

Ulster fell into
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:21 am
richardt84 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:20 pm
Big-al wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:16 pm
Dharper wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:35 pm I wouldn’t trust this squad of putting 2 quality performances together, nevermind 4. A big pack, a 10 with a decent boot, and 2 solid centres are enough to beat this squad most times especially away from home, and that is what you get against the French. If we made the last 4 I’d be amazed.
Agree 100%.

You could see the Harlequins coaches and staff giggling at one another after the first Lynagh try. I’m sure they told the player pre-match to keep their defensive shape and wait until Ulster screw things up.

We were turned a few times straight off set piece. Early on the second half they took it up and there was no Ulster clear out (which points out a poorly coached side or just thick players) & Matty Rea getting stripped of the ball during a carry, which he should be embarrassed about as no blindside flanker worthy of the jersey should be getting stripped in contact.
The laughter wasn’t confined to the coaches as the Baloucoune error had several Harlequins fans near me laughing at how easy it was. I don’t think they could believe how easy the game was turning out to be at that stage. I felt for Baloucoune at that stage as he is like Addison in that the approach seems to be to try to play him in to form and he just looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but there in that moment.
Yes, I couldn’t see as far as the bench…but I had to fairly sharply tell Lionel sitting next to me that I had seen RB score at a hat trick in Toulouse.

Don’t think he believed me.

But if you’re saying that Bobby should not be starting for us at the moment then you’re ahem bob-on.

He’s massively lacking in form and confidence.
Justin - I am a huge fan of Bobby B and still think he could become a top class player and Ireland regular, but his form is so far off the mark the season and his lack of confidence is very evident. He is Ulster's most complete winger but for his own sake I do wonder if taking him out of the firing line may be the best thing. Its pretty evident that there is no chance of playing him into form right now.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It says a lot about Ulster’s SID on the wing (or lack thereof) all of a sudden that it’s even up for debate.

Will we get JS back for the game in Wales? We’ll see.

However, EM needs to play that game and I’d bring Bobby in from the bench. If he can run one in against a tiring defence it would do him the world of good.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

I do find it strange that Dan tries to play players into form like Bob, by selecting him every week despite looking poor, yet players like Sheridan that show promise in some appearences get banished for long periods with no explanation.

And of course there's the continued bewildering selection of Matty.

Dan's selection policy is an utter mess.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

In certain games dan is going for experience and build Sheridan lacks experience and has a frame which needs to fill out a bit ,he also has to gain confidence in using it -- Look at McCann a year ago he was deservedly searching for a place now he is one of the first names on the sheet .

Sheridan in my opinion is where McCann was 18 months ago and i consider he is lined up to replace Henderson rather than a place in the back row.

Lowry at a pinch can play wing the short fall is that the current defence sees the wing marking the outside centre and some are big rather than fast.

I'm not sure BB is out of form rather he might be suffering from poor service Hume has a touch of " white line fever " and only passes when the wing lacks space .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

He's definitely out of form.

Players in form make their tackles, not like his attempt 1 yard from the touchline v Connacht.

He used to be great in the air, chasing kicks. He couldn't catch a cold now.

He's making silly basic errors like he did v Quins for their try.

Yes Hume might be giving him poor.service, limiting his ability in attack, but he should be better in the above areas.
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

Are we playing BB into form, or is there literally no one else? Lyttle gone, Moxham crap and injured, Sexton...

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Tel
Novice

Post by Tel »

Sexton has been playing brilliantly for Ballynahinch. He’s definitely worth persevering.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:05 pm In certain games dan is going for experience and build Sheridan lacks experience and has a frame which needs to fill out a bit ,he also has to gain confidence in using it -- Look at McCann a year ago he was deservedly searching for a place now he is one of the first names on the sheet .

Sheridan in my opinion is where McCann was 18 months ago and i consider he is lined up to replace Henderson rather than a place in the back row.

Lowry at a pinch can play wing the short fall is that the current defence sees the wing marking the outside centre and some are big rather than fast.

I'm not sure BB is out of form rather he might be suffering from poor service Hume has a touch of " white line fever " and only passes when the wing lacks space .
I can't agree rumncoke.

Sheridan is one of the few Ulster forwards who will take the ball, hit the gain line and make a positive carry. So many of our forwards just flop when they get tackled, Sheridan will get an extra metre or two. He is abrasive and that's a quality that Ulster sorely lack.

I am not sure there's a need to protect him so much, he has shown, IMO, that he's more than equipped to deal with the physicality. He's far more physical than some lads who are bigger than him.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

TheBoat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:38 pm Are we playing BB into form, or is there literally no one else? Lyttle gone, Moxham crap and injured, Sexton...
Next match is away to O's - it might do him no harm to be rested, or at least benched for that game and brought back foir the following hiome match v Dragons.

If there's one team you wouldn't mind gettuing a run-out against, it's Dragons at home.

6N may have just come at a good time for him to have a rest from competitive matches for a fe weeks.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right