Harlequins v Ulster Sat Jan 20 1pm KO TNT Sports 2

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Harlequins v Ulster Sat Jan 20 1pm KO TNT Sports 2

Post by justinr73 »

Big-al wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:16 pm
Dharper wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:35 pm I wouldn’t trust this squad of putting 2 quality performances together, nevermind 4. A big pack, a 10 with a decent boot, and 2 solid centres are enough to beat this squad most times especially away from home, and that is what you get against the French. If we made the last 4 I’d be amazed.
Agree 100%.

You could see the Harlequins coaches and staff giggling at one another after the first Lynagh try. I’m sure they told the player pre-match to keep their defensive shape and wait until Ulster screw things up.

We were turned a few times straight off set piece. Early on the second half they took it up and there was no Ulster clear out (which points out a poorly coached side or just thick players) & Matty Rea getting stripped of the ball during a carry, which he should be embarrassed about as no blindside flanker worthy of the jersey should be getting stripped in contact.
Whilst Matty may be as soft as some of his wife’s expertly selected furnishings, I suspect he’s not the first 6 to be stripped in contact. Diack played there a lot, after all.

However, I fail to see how the lack of a clear out can be blamed on the coaches.

Not sure it’s down to being thick either because some forwards aren’t that bright.

It’s about hunger, desire and will to win. And it seems to be in short supply.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:30 am
Big-al wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:16 pm
Dharper wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:35 pm I wouldn’t trust this squad of putting 2 quality performances together, nevermind 4. A big pack, a 10 with a decent boot, and 2 solid centres are enough to beat this squad most times especially away from home, and that is what you get against the French. If we made the last 4 I’d be amazed.
Agree 100%.

You could see the Harlequins coaches and staff giggling at one another after the first Lynagh try. I’m sure they told the player pre-match to keep their defensive shape and wait until Ulster screw things up.

We were turned a few times straight off set piece. Early on the second half they took it up and there was no Ulster clear out (which points out a poorly coached side or just thick players) & Matty Rea getting stripped of the ball during a carry, which he should be embarrassed about as no blindside flanker worthy of the jersey should be getting stripped in contact.
Whilst Matty may be as soft as some of his wife’s expertly selected furnishings, I suspect he’s not the first 6 to be stripped in contact. Diack played there a lot, after all.

However, I fail to see how the lack of a clear out can be blamed on the coaches.

Not sure it’s down to being thick either because some forwards aren’t that bright.

It’s about hunger, desire and will to win. And it seems to be in short supply.
Diack was another forward who really wasn't very good, much too soft.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

I’m don’t have access to a replay , but where was our illustrious full back on the two “transition “ phases when the ball was kicked over our wingers heads?
Both RB and JS made a nonsense of it, but precious little support around for either of them.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Now you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAsuf9I8UyU

For the first one, him and Bobby go for the man and get it kicked past them.
For the second, it looks like he was the last Ulster play to have the ball before it’s hacked through, would have got back first but leaves it to to Bobby to make his horrendous bit up.

Has anyone yet worked out why their first try wasn’t disallowed?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:24 pm Now you do.

For the second, it looks like he was the last Ulster play to have the ball before it’s hacked through, would have got back first but leaves it to to Bobby to make his horrendous bit up.

One of Baloucoune or Lowry had to nail their man at that kick. There's no way they'd have got pinged for a late tackle.

Both of them just pulled out of it. :duh:
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Cheers for the link. Schoolboy stuff.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Could we make a defensive full back out of Doak?
He is never going to be top quality at N 9 but his place kicking would we worth having.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bobbievee wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:39 pm Could we make a defensive full back out of Doak?
He is never going to be top quality at N 9 but his place kicking would we worth having.
Move him to 10 and keep him there.

I agree he’s not going to be a top class 9. Not snappy enough, but could be a very good 10.

It’ll take a strong minded coach to move (& keep) him there. I remember when Henry moved from 8, to 7 under McLaughlin.

It was the making of him.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

👍👍
Horse15
Novice

Post by Horse15 »

He’s no pace to play anything bar a 9 or 10. Think his defensive frailities would be more evident at 10. His place kicking is good.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Watching this was like sticking pins in yer eyes.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I know.

I’ve witnessed some pretty inept performances in my time as a PNE fan (being 4 nil down in Derby at the interval under Craig Brown was particularly poor) but Saturday was a very, very tough watch.

I got a Twitter email this morning showing a bunch of photos of the post match fawning session.

I was sick in my mouth.

We’d marched off to the pub at that point, although it subsequently transpired that was partly down to the home fans that we were with wanting to avoid paying their babysitter double time.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The replay from a different angle confirms McCloskeys claim the ball didn't go 5 metres at the throw in agreed it was only a matter of inches but the receiver was too close to the touch line. ( never reviewed but quits claimed a knock on before an Ulster try goes immediately for a review and rules out the try .

The referee was something else like most french refs he was" a homer " and it is confirmed by the first blow of his whistle for off side by McCann who was up quickly other instances MCcloskey goes off balance hands on the ground & making no attempt to play the ball or interfere with Care's pick up and pass but the ref blows for "off his feet" and then later allows quits to lift and pass ( while on ground ) a turn over from a ruck .

Now while it is definitely true that Ulster would more than likely lost the match the margin of defeat I consider to be the effect of the referee - It is hard enough to go and face a team playing opportunity rugby with an early realisation that you are playing 16 and the crowd it has a very negative effect on your performance.
Last edited by rumncoke on Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The whole stand behind the posts saw the HS knock on.

Mind you, the home fans either side of me could see it hadn’t gone 5m too.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... -flannery/

Apparently it was all a clever Flannery plan that Ilstet fell into?!