Richie Murphy - right man for the job?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Richie Murphy - right man for the job?

Post by justinr73 »

He’s pretty average in front of the camera.

We can but hope he’s better on the grass.

And the plastic.
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

Perhaps he is Justin but I''lll take average over world domination right now
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Was it 2010 that Logan said that……??? 🙄

5th out of 16 in the table.

Won 7 lost 4.

The bloke should be thanking his lucky stars he’s got this opportunity.

Let’s hope he makes the most of it.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

I don’t think you were here Justin when we had the golden boy Matt Williams in front of the camera, ( look how that ended) R Murphy is not here as a PRO but as coach and we don’t need anyone promising the world in front of the camera but someone who can revive what talent we have in the squad.
Personally I thought in the circumstance of having just arrived, having finished his previous job on Friday night successfully in Cork and got himself organised to take over the squad and prepare himself to go to S.Africa, he did t do all that badly.
Realistically at this stage of the season I reckon we have done well in getting a reasonable prospect who seems to be well thought of by most people who have had dealings with him and who is known to the majority of the players.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I dunno if I’d describe him as a reasonable prospect unless we’re talking about gardening or crown green bowling….!

Bit of a shortage of young coaches coming through generally though. Easier for retired players to top up their pensions with a bit of TV work or get wheeled out for a few clients in the office once a week I suppose.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The trip to SA was disappointing, given that we’d won our six previous Saffer encounters.

The Challenge Cup campaign went how I expected over the two games (although I wasn’t necessarily thinking we’d leak another fifty…)

I’d like to believe that Murphy has been given a clear bottom line of finishing in the top 8.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:39 am The trip to SA was disappointing, given that we’d won our six previous Saffer encounters.

The Challenge Cup campaign went how I expected over the two games (although I wasn’t necessarily thinking we’d leak another fifty…)

I’d like to believe that Murphy has been given a clear bottom line of finishing in the top 8.
He's barely in the door and they've been away for a fair chunk of his time here. What's abundantly clear is that he has picked up something which has been rotting for quite some time. Not just results but in the dressing room also and with management.
Whilst the new playing style this season was a noble ambition it has been an utter failure. Most players have regressed.

You are right that we need top 8 and then time to build a clear plan for next season based on getting the best out of whichever players are still there
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Give the man a chance. I would settle for missing out on the top 8. We are better out of the ERC for at least another year.
It will be slow progress rebuilding the team.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:50 pm Give the man a chance. I would settle for missing out on the top 8. We are better out of the ERC for at least another year.
It will be slow progress rebuilding the team.
On principle I think most would agree. However apparently the financial problems would be compounded further if we didnt make the Champions Cup.

Has anyone worked out the difference in TV/other income from playing in the Parker Pen v Champions Cup?
YoungMan
Novice

Post by YoungMan »

Yes
“And now you'll be telling stories of my coming back and they won't be false, and they won't be true but they'll be real”
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:39 am The trip to SA was disappointing, given that we’d won our six previous Saffer encounters.

How many of those last 6 were actually away though, where as we all know it is harder to beat the SA teams? I think last year we beat the Lions and the Sharks, albeit the latter was the rearranged game post shitgate when they could no longer put out their 1st team due to an SA training camp.

Sharks was ultimately disappointing though.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:

Sharks was ultimately disappointing though.
This reminded me of a film review I composed for the Jaws movie sequel.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?