Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by justinr73 »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:18 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:23 am
Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:56 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 pm I mean it can only be Ulster fans that can be drunk off about signing a dual WC winner in their prime right?
If it leads to having to dump players all over the place as a result then yeah! If there had have been any medium term financial planning we would never have signed him.
I’m all for dumping bang average players and hasbeens.
The starting point on the financial side is making something like a 5 year budget, make reasonably assumptions as to how often you will make the knockout stages of the different competitions, ideally building in a contingency for one off shocks to produce the player budget.
The starting point on the player side is then how many players at what salary level do we want in our squad, then matching that against what players we have, who is coming through, giving us what is left for recruiting players outside the province. There should be little movement in the number of full time players we have year to year.
I get the impression that neither of these basic steps has been followed to any degree of competence, or else the IRFU has pulled the rug out from us financially to lead to so many players getting the boot. I suspect both of these has happened.
If we are dumping bang average players and hasbeens, is the size of our full time squad going to be much smaller ongoing, or where are all these players being replaced from? To dump so many players the year after signing a world cup winner to a massive contract does not suggest any level of competence in UR.
Yes, squads will be smaller and we’ll have to fill in with kids. We play fewer games now anyway.

The IRFU clearly want to move more players around but the Dubs don’t fancy it.

Seven internationals left last season, including our big name NIQ and we brought one international, approved by the IRFU, in.

That’s hardly reckless spending.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

No, Billy is still shyte. I'm delighted he's leaving. Flannery needs time FFS. He can learn from that disastrous performance against the hairsprays. The quality of Billy's pass one of the worst I've seen in a 10. He's been hampering the backline for years. He can't play a flat pass for a back to run into. Doak did it a few times in a cameo here or there. It's missing from our attack. It makes us slow and predictable if every ball has to be popped back into the bread basket. The occasional game were he kick passes to perfection is not enough. Dreadful defender also.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes, it’s a whole different debate I guess but JF has only stated 19 games, including 8 at FB.

Giving him a three year deal last summer suggests that the decision not to recontract Billy was effectively made then.

He seems decent off the tee and kicks to touch better than Billy.

Hopefully his passing improves as last week it was either forward (especially the little pops from close range), behind the player or straight to the oppo.

He should probably get a free pass, pardon the pun, for Ospreys though as the squad seem to have decided it was time for Dan to go over those last three ‘performances’.
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

We'll win nothing with Burns. He is a symptom of our mediocrity. Turnips are welcome to him.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

TheBoat wrote:We'll win nothing with Burns. He is a symptom of our mediocrity. Turnips are welcome to him.

The turnips aren't intending to win with him either. He's there as back up meanwhile we are hoping burn's back up will come good for us. Shows the difference in where the teams ambitions are.
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

At least his back up has potential.

DodgyEverything
Novice

Post by DodgyEverything »

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

DodgyEverything wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:38 pm https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 95777.html

He's striking preemptively
If the Q&A is similar to the article, people will not learn too much re the financial situation.
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

If we don't qualify for the European Cup next season or finish in the top four of the league then he should go also
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

He's coming on Scene Around Six now too...
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

DodgyEverything wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:38 pm https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 95777.html

Bit of a useless interview basically stating the obvious. 'inconsistencies.' :duh:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bit like DF and Leicester, he's stuck with us and vice versa until the next big F#ck up then Wavy will presumably have his trousers down.

I'd also say Richie was tapped up well in advance...
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Neill_M wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:06 pm

If the Q&A is similar to the article, people will not learn too much re the financial situation.
Are you surprised. Chemical Petrie- looks like McKendrys been reading UAFC and diluting down the questions....
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Deraless wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:36 pm He's coming on Scene Around Six now too...
Is Seamus or big Jim doing the news these days?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

HammerTime wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:38 pm

Bit of a useless interview basically stating the obvious. 'inconsistencies.' :duh:
But not from him!
As callous a bit of apR as I have seen v r seen,,,,,,,,rivals Politburo spokesperson!