Ulster's finances

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

TheBoat
Novice

Re: Ulster's finances

Post by TheBoat »

Me too, it's a lovely part of Belfast. Feel far safer there than I ever have done in areas of East Belfast and North Belfast.

If Ulster is to gain any success in the future it needs to appeal to the majority of the population.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

TheBoat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:27 pm Me too, it's a lovely part of Belfast. Feel far safer there than I ever have done in areas of East Belfast and North Belfast.

If Ulster is to gain any success in the future it needs to appeal to the majority of the population.

ah but themmuns...
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

Exactly.

Don't get me wrong though, it's disgusting that they are going to spend as much as they are on it, from the public purse. They should get what Rugby and Football got (adjusted for inflation). Then the GAA have to find the rest. They can when it suits them.

To in one breath say there's no money for schools that are literally on the point of collapse then give £250 million for a sports stadium... Priorities all wrong.

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

TheBoat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:27 pm Me too, it's a lovely part of Belfast. Feel far safer there than I ever have done in areas of East Belfast and North Belfast.

Really? Both Shankill and Falls are way more uncomfortable than anywhere in NB, bar Ardoyne. I was born and raised on Shore Road, schooled on Ballysillan, and West on either side is way more unsafe/ lawless on both sides.

For the record I won't attend Casement for any event.

SF finance minister, Irish Govt and GAA ( who are being let off the hook) can fund it all they want , but let's not kid ourselves it's welcoming or will be welcoming for NI fans especially and UR .

Basically £300m for maybe 2-3 Euro games ( probably not NI) and what? Wolftones comeback, Kneecap, River to the Sea rallies or the annual IRA hate festival?

It's also not a general national multi sport stadium as originally conceived, let's again not kid ourselves. That should be in a non contentious space such as the Maze...
Finally, as I recall the Irish Govt had to coerce GAA to loan Croker for foreign sports when it was needed to cover Aviva. Who will have final say on games at Casement, given it's to be funded primarily by the British Exchequer and British citizens taxes?

Essentially GAA and Stormont ie SF screwed this up first time round whilst Windsor and Spanners was delivered reasonably on time and budget. Why should we pay for a symbolic white elephant now?
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exterminate all rational thought
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

TheBoat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:37 pm Exactly.

Don't get me wrong though, it's disgusting that they are going to spend as much as they are on it, from the public purse. They should get what Rugby and Football got (adjusted for inflation). Then the GAA have to find the rest. They can when it suits them.

To in one breath say there's no money for schools that are literally on the point of collapse then give £250 million for a sports stadium... Priorities all wrong.

They won’t be getting £250miiln, but they will get more than double what wa originally agreed.

I hope Ulster rugby are putting in proposals for money. It’s only fair that they get more.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

promenader 2 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:19 am
Bobbievee wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:46 pm So football won’t go there, and rugby doesn’t need to go there…..maybe except for artificially set up matches.
So GAA are probably the sole users…….and therefore the sole financiers.
Imagine the Treasury in London deciding whether we put 200 million into the GB health service, education, controlling immigration, potholes……….or a gaa pitch in Northern Ireland?!! A real vote catcher
Even if rugby and football don't go there, and I don't believe that will be the case, there's still boxing and music events. And, of course, GAA matches. Every time there's a big event, the local economy benefits by millions - people spend money in hotels, bars, fast food outlets, restaurants, and tourist attractions. The government gets the VAT on those things. A stadium is a long-term financial investment. I can understand people being against it for political reasons, but arguing against it on financial grounds doesn't make sense.
I beg to disagree re other non sporting events apparently the talk is max of three concerts per year but what level of act is likely to come to Belfast that doesn’t already… tours are expensive things and any serious act will need/want a 60,000 to pay the gig so Croke yes but Casement not so much..

I can see the annual hate fest which is far from welcoming being facilitated Christ the Wolfetones would be dripping to play Sir Roger Park.

Can anyone convince me that one Ulster Final a year is justifiable with county matches no better attended than the Irish League.

As for the UEFA competition it is UEFA that take the most of the money out of these events as little more than a pitch rental…

It was interesting that the BBC picked up on my statement that the plan for the stadium didn’t actually comply with UEFA standards for a competition and now changes are needing made… indeed I see other criteria not met having actually read the criteria and now apparently over £100m of the cost is simply to make the stadia UEFA compliant…
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Oh and UR have seemingly pulled the plan for expansion of the soon to be renamed Kingspan part of the rationale for property development into the neighbouring area. That comes with an assurance from the IRFU that should we ever reach the dizzy heights of a QF we can switch to big brother on the Andytown Road to facilitate the boards of Ulstermen coming down from the Glens ..

Helps justify the spend maybe one game in how many years and no doubt the IRFU will grass the hallow turf of Sir Roger Park with a second rate international..

I sat last week in a city centre pub watching England v Ireland as Irish supporters they were were Republic of Ireland shirts hurled abuse at some English people right up to the last minute.. Vile hated and to be honest I cheered when England won for that reason alone..

I asked do you follow rugby of course we feck do have you been to Ravenhill no feck way Woukd I watch those orange bar steward… ah you have to love the all island support for rugby
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Cockatrice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:30 pm Oh and UR have seemingly pulled the plan for expansion of the soon to be renamed Kingspan part of the rationale for property development into the neighbouring area. That comes with an assurance from the IRFU that should we ever reach the dizzy heights of a QF we can switch to big brother on the Andytown Road to facilitate the boards of Ulstermen coming down from the Glens ..

Helps justify the spend maybe one game in how many years and no doubt the IRFU will grass the hallow turf of Sir Roger Park with a second rate international..

I sat last week in a city centre pub watching England v Ireland as Irish supporters they were were Republic of Ireland shirts hurled abuse at some English people right up to the last minute.. Vile hated and to be honest I cheered when England won for that reason alone..

I asked do you follow rugby of course we feck do have you been to Ravenhill no feck way Woukd I watch those orange bar steward… ah you have to love the all island support for rugby
and which bar was this, as most city centre bars do not allow football jerseys
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Big Smoke Culchie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 am
Cockatrice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:26 am
Bobbievee wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:46 pm So football won’t go there, and rugby doesn’t need to go there…..maybe except for artificially set up matches.
So GAA are probably the sole users…….and therefore the sole financiers.
Imagine the Treasury in London deciding whether we put 200 million into the GB health service, education, controlling immigration, potholes……….or a gaa pitch in Northern Ireland?!! A real vote catcher
We don’t need to go but the IrFU have given the green light to doing so… ie Ulster ever get to a QF and need the bigger stadium and probably put forward for the very odd smaller international just to confirm support..

Call me what you want but I’ll never go there
Same.

They should still build it, though. If they can justify where funding is coming from, it should be built. If the GAA can open up Croke Park with its past history, certain elements within Unionism should show a bit of magnanimity around the whole thing.

Maybe a younger generation won't have a problem with it. I won't be going near it.
I had no issues going to Croke Park for internationals - I at least felt safe in Dublin as I didn't anticipate meeting anyone who might wish me harm.

Wish I could say that about some areas in west Belfast - and I say that as someone who worked in the RVH for 30 years during some of the worst of The Troubles.

There might be fewer of them about these days, but the dissident threat hasn't gone away, and I'm sure there are many that wouldn't wish to go park cars or travel in that area for a few hours and not worry about what might happen to them.

Sad, but that's how it is.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Agreed Cap'n. I'd park in Divis and slip da Hoodz a few Euros and a Kneecap Glasters ticket. Safe as houses :roll: :lol:
Exterminate all rational thought
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

nonplussed wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:24 pm
Cockatrice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:30 pm Oh and UR have seemingly pulled the plan for expansion of the soon to be renamed Kingspan part of the rationale for property development into the neighbouring area. That comes with an assurance from the IRFU that should we ever reach the dizzy heights of a QF we can switch to big brother on the Andytown Road to facilitate the boards of Ulstermen coming down from the Glens ..

The rusty nail
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Cockatrice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:50 pm

The rusty nail
The Rusty Saddle? The Old Washington.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:05 pm

The rusty nail
Got Hugo, Hugo written on the windows I think?

Sounds like a Dublin school register.

Never been inside. Looks brad pitt from the pics on Google,
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:27 am
Neill_M wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:05 pm

The rusty nail
Got Hugo, Hugo written on the windows I think?

Sounds like a Dublin school register.

Never been inside. Looks brad pitt from the pics on Google,
The one on Howard Street, it is okay inside.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yeah - nearly tried it a couple of times but it was shut.

I’d usually nip around the corner to Robinsons.

The draught cider in the Crown is always tempting too.