Stormers v Ulster Saturday March 30th 5:15pm Viaplay Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stormers v Ulster Saturday March 30th 5:15pm Viaplay Sports

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Hard to disagree with this Justin. My own pessimism often doesn't account for the paucity of other teams performance. Stormers were loose, even arrogant, Profligate exactly as you say.
But ultimately again we threw away points on the basics.

Ref the front row, we were naive ref highlighting Stormers scrum infringements, especially engaging at a slant to precipitate the wheel. Imo SK is not worth the money and not what the team currently needs IE leaders. I also don't think he's a particularly destructive scrummager, and adds only a modicum in the loose. Laughably, AW and Wilson have both scrummaged extremely well against some of the best props in the world with little significant difficulty, even when the pack has been down to 7. Herring does make a difference scrum time. TS has a lot of catching up to do.
Exterminate all rational thought
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

The RFU Professional Game Match Officials Team (PGMOT) acknowledge and apologise for an error during the Gallagher Premiership match between Harlequins v Bath where a yellow card sanction resulted in Irné Herbst returning to the pitch approximately three minutes too soon. 

We would like to apologise to both teams for this mistake. As is the usual process the PGMOT will review all games to ensure continued improvement and learnings. 

We thought we had referee problems!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

The Stormers were loose and erratic because they were put under pressure.

We weren't great either but what we did have was heart and attitude in abundance something severely lacking this season.

Yesterday was a step in the right direction. Felt like a win in some ways. Corner turned, no. Can we now see the corner... I think so.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

TheBoat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:54 am Can we save ourselves some serious cash and leave SK in Cape Town?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/kitshoff-s ... ers-return

Your request may have been answered.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I wouldn’t object to that, as long as the spend some of the spare wage bill on signing either A)- a loosehead or B) a flyhalf/scrumhalf
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:The Stormers were loose and erratic because they were put under pressure.

We weren't great either but what we did have was heart and attitude in abundance something severely lacking this season.

Yesterday was a step in the right direction. Felt like a win in some ways. Corner turned, no. Can we now see the corner... I think so.
Agreed. It's a weird flex to minimise every opposition but some will try. A plucky defeat but much improved from recent times and considering how poor the squad is.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:59 pm
TheBoat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:54 am Can we save ourselves some serious cash and leave SK in Cape Town?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/kitshoff-s ... ers-return

Your request may have been answered.
Well….if that did occur, that’d open the door for exposure at LH for TOT, and SW getting more time at TH. Any full or partial investment would surely be at 10. 8/9 are already covered sufficiently. I wouldn’t be against it if it did occur.

I’ve Just got a feeling there’ll be a bit of movement end of season…..not just the expected end of season contract leavers. I also think Murphy is likely here to stay….Currently the less decisions UR get to make probably for the better.

Super effort v the stormers, lads properly fighting for yards in contact, and backing each other up defensively even deep into the end. Liked Murphys comments post game re pride and encouragement. Also enjoyed the coaches having a laugh, great to see.

Wilson has really impressed-quality scrum time, and great action in the loose. Love Sheridan, super abrasive, loved the sneaky hand on the deck v the sharks his non selection has been shown to be laughable. He has that edge I want in a UR pack.
McCann is absolute quality. Those lads are adding now, but I think come next season they’ll be a clear level up again. Murphy may just be the coach to bring those young guys on. I have my fingers crossed re Izzy but Far from certain he can develop like the others maybe a change in coaching philosophy from DanMcF might bring him on. Certainly if he became a live option that UR pack looks revitalised.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:29 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:The Stormers were loose and erratic because they were put under pressure.

Agreed. It's a weird flex to minimise every opposition but some will try. A plucky defeat but much improved from recent times and considering how poor the squad is.
It’s pretty superficial to analyse a game from the perspective or performance of one side only.

And fairly patronising to talk of a side that’s beaten Leinster away, Racing and Munster this season like a Dragons, Zebre or a school team.

Felt like a win? Seriously?

Make our tackles, win our lineouts, catch our passes, cut out the silly pens and that game was in the bag.

We scored 7 points against a side having a major off day.

I’d love to know how Dan would have been judged on that performance, not least not leaving his spare 9 and 10 on the bench when we couldn’t get out of our half in the second period.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

At least the coaches were laughing though.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:56 pm

It’s pretty superficial to analyse a game from the perspective or performance of one side only.

And fairly patronising to talk of a side that’s beaten Leinster away, Racing and Munster this season like a Dragons, Zebre or a school team.

Make our tackles, win our lineouts, catch our passes, cut out the silly pens and that game was in the bag.

I’d love to know how Dan would have been judged on that performance, not least not leaving his spare 9 and 10 on the bench when we couldn’t get out of our half in the second period.
We couldn’t get out of our half because we struggled in the lineout.

Dan has had his day at Ulster. It’s time to move on. Seems to have had too many grudges against certain players and created a poor working environment. The team has had some horrific losses under his watch this season. Notably Ospreys away, Quins away & Toulouse.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Big-al wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:11 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:56 pm

We couldn’t get out of our half because we struggled in the lineout.

Dan has had his day at Ulster. It’s time to move on
I don’t disagree with the second paragraph but let’s not pretend things are brilliant just because he has gone.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The stormers weren't that bad. Very robust and physical in defence. They were not there for the taking. It was a huge effort to keep the game so close. Their attack didn't click but they did have the luxury of bringing on quality players. We swapped the Rea bros, ffs. We only have one current international (starting or benching) he wants out though.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:43 pm The stormers weren't that bad. Very robust and physical in defence. They were not there for the taking. It was a huge effort to keep the game so close. Their attack didn't click but they did have the luxury of bringing on quality players. We swapped the Rea bros, ffs. We only have one current international (starting or benching) he wants out though.
They’ve only got three and one of them is very hit and miss. Quality on the bench? Loader?

We’d beaten six Saffer teams on the spin until this tour, lest we forget.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’ve gone back as far as September 2016 and I’m still looking for the last time we scored fewer than seven points in a league game.

Anyway, on to Montpellier….
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:43 pm The stormers weren't that bad. Very robust and physical in defence. They were not there for the taking. It was a huge effort to keep the game so close. Their attack didn't click but they did have the luxury of bringing on quality players. We swapped the Rea bros, ffs. We only have one current international (starting or benching) he wants out though.
Correct.

To add we weren't a bad team under Dan up until the last six - eight months.... it was a huge effort to keep the game so close, effort will get us so far, a good coach the rest. The interim coach is getting the effort.