Montpellier v Ulster, Sunday April 7 12:30pm KO (UK Time), Viaplay Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Montpellier v Ulster, Sunday April 7 12:30pm KO (UK Time), Viaplay Sports

Post by justinr73 »

SparkyClarky wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:17 pm
Big-al wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:00 pm
SparkyClarky wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:13 pm Never thought I’d say it but please Billy Burns get fit soon.
🫤 wise up
allowed an opinion Al, when Doak can’t find space against 12 men he is not the answer.
With BB going I’d still take him over Doak.

If common sense breaks out we’ll use SK money on a safe pair of hands at 10?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

SparkyClarky wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:13 pm Never thought I’d say it but please Billy Burns get fit soon.
🫤 wise up
allowed an opinion Al, when Doak can’t find space against 12 men he is not the answer.

Do we not pick SK because he is leaving?

Do we not pick the 10 who has played when we’ve consistently finished in the top few on the log?

We need to pick the side that gives us the best chance of winning (in the URC at least).
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:56 am
🫤 wise up

Do we not pick the 10 who has played when we’ve consistently finished in the top few on the log?

We need to pick the side that gives us the best chance of winning (in the URC at least).
He's saying use the money saved to get a decent 10
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes, it was his first para I was commenting on. And agreeing with.

Whether or not I agree with the second paragraph initially depends on whether there’ll be any money or if it just gets swallowed up by the Bank/the IRFU.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Were there any post match interviews yesterday? Think there are two very different takes on the result:
1. A good win, onwards and upwards
2. We weren't good enough and were lucky Montpellier imploded.

Would be interested to know which tack Finlay would go for, would strongly expect McFarland would have gone for 1.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I didn't get to see this.

Can I get the no-BS assessment on Doak? Are we in big trouble next year?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Doak gives a longer and better pass than Burns at the moment he is under pressure being classed as novice and thus target for the day

Can’t give an assessment on his kicking as he has been playing a shuffle pass game.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

We are brill again …. Enough to bring the crowds flocking back
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

I fully expected us to lose this game, yet we won by 3 scores, so that's a big positive. Any win on French soil is to be commended.

However, all of the above was massively aided by some seriously idiotic play by the thickest team I've ever seen at European-level rugby. It was a spectacular implosion from Montpellier, who were comfortably the better team before they decided to stop playing.

Let's be clear, we are still tom kite. We have no hope of winning this competition. But lets take the win and hope for a much improved performance against Clermont. That starts with selection, and by dropping Matty, starting Wilson and lighting a fire up our backline's Brennan.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I thought we had a very good chance of winning.

Not sure I can remember a team scoring that many points whilst looking so singularly unimpressive though.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:05 pm I thought we had a very good chance of winning.

Not sure I can remember a team scoring that many points whilst looking so singularly unimpressive though.
I just don't see it Justin.

If we somehow manage to beat Clermont away, we'll likely face the Sharks away in the semis, and then Glaws/Benneton/Connacht in the final. Ironically on paper the final looks to be the most winnable game :lol:

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think we are at the level required based on ability, and certainly not in terms of mentality. Unless Murphy has a stormer of a few months in charge once we finally get back to Belfast for a few weeks.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:56 am
🫤 wise up

Agreed: We pick both ref paying them for doing their job. I've said Doak should start Clermont, with Burns benching if fit. Thereafter, whoever our form 10 is :scratch: starts ,if BBC so be it.

SK starts as we're feckin paying him a fortune and need to win our URC fixtures.
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

So It Is wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 pm
justinr73 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:05 pm I thought we had a very good chance of winning.

I just don't see it Justin.

If we somehow manage to beat Clermont away, we'll likely face the Sharks away in the semis, and then Glaws/Benneton/Connacht in the final. Ironically on paper the final looks to be the most winnable game :lol:

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think we are at the level required based on ability, and certainly not in terms of mentality. Unless Murphy has a stormer of a few months in charge once we finally get back to Belfast for a few weeks.
I thought we had a very good chance of winning yesterday but I won’t go any further than that!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Well, JR, I knew what you meant!!

re Doak, as a 9 he is average. Good goal kicker, long accurate pass.........but slow , in passing and in movement.

as a 10, who knows, but if he'd shown any real potential, FIRFU would have shown more interest before now. Hasn't even reached tackle bag holding status.