Montpellier v Ulster, Sunday April 7 12:30pm KO (UK Time), Viaplay Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Montpellier v Ulster, Sunday April 7 12:30pm KO (UK Time), Viaplay Sports

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:43 pm
SparkyClarky wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:27 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:21 pm At present ulster are better with burns at 10 than doak. The question is do we sacrifice that in order to invest in doak for the rest of the season.
That’s my point, but season isn’t dead so for me the answer is no.
Doak has no vision at 10 and yes he’s out of position, but when we are still in contention it’s not the right time for me to find out what his potential is in a positional switch.
I think Doak has to learn how to play at 10, and keep his cool. A yappy 9 is not needed at 10.

One more match this week will likely see the season ended anyway, but if Burns is fit, I would start with him this week, and once we're out, continue with Doak. Certainly against Cardiff, we should play Doak at 10 irrespective of Burns' fitness.
Surely the other way round Cap'n.Challenge cup is a free hit for Doaks development in a testing environment at the Tyre Factory?
We know what Burns can and mainly can't do.
The business end must wins for me are the URC top 6/ playoffs for £ in Europe
Exterminate all rational thought
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Burns has had 5 or 6 seasons as number 10 and done the sum total of feck all, aside from a few cross kicks.

We won’t win the challenge cup with him at 10, we probably won’t win with Doak, but at least it’ll be good development for a rookie.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I'm indifferent to the doak / burns situation but where it does weaken us is if cooney gets injured or is having a mare. Having a shanners / doak partnership is not one I want to see. Making 2 positional changes when u only want to replace the 9 is not ideal.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

As things stand that is what it’ll look like next season.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:42 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:19 pm Does the ban on SA sides hosting semifinals apply to the challenge Cup as well as the champions Cup?
Not that I'm expecting ulster to win next week but would a semi against the sharks have to be held in Europe?
"A home semi". Where have I heard that before? :scratch: It'll be Dublin won't it? :lol:
Casement Park
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:05 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:50 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:54 pm Making it embarrassingly easy for 14 MP. How many scrum pens is that now Shytehouse?
Is 14MP Two-Metre Peter's 12m taller cousin?
He stretched on puberty. Trust you to focus on that and not the scrum pens :roll: :thumleft:
I've given up on Whitehouse Junior. He's not even half as good as his da, and he was useless.

I was amazed when he awarded the Addison try today - I wa sconvinced he would find something to disallow it for.

Only after the red card did he change sides from being a homer - and even then he still refused to give as many cards as he should.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cormac wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:04 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:42 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:19 pm Does the ban on SA sides hosting semifinals apply to the challenge Cup as well as the champions Cup?
Not that I'm expecting ulster to win next week but would a semi against the sharks have to be held in Europe?
"A home semi". Where have I heard that before? :scratch: It'll be Dublin won't it? :lol:
Casement Park
Not expecting a home semi any year soon then?
I'm not arguing -
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Clermont game confirmed for the Saturday lunchtime, same kick off time as today. On TNT Sports.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:54 pm Making it embarrassingly easy for 14 MP. How many scrum pens is that now Shytehouse?
He stretched on puberty. .....
Didn't we all? :lol:

but stretching it 14 metres? :shock: :shock:
I'm not arguing -
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Neill_M wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:22 pm Clermont game confirmed for the Saturday lunchtime, same kick off time as today. On TNT Sports.
Hope for an improved performance, to be competitive, nevermind anything else.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
He stretched on puberty. Trust you to focus on that and not the scrum pens :roll: :thumleft:
I've given up on Whitehouse Junior. He's not even half as good as his da, and he was useless.

I was amazed when he awarded the Addison try today - I wa sconvinced he would find something to disallow it for.

Only after the red card did he change sides from being a homer - and even then he still refused to give as many cards as he should.
He did his best to overrule the Addison score. A mind-bending entirely fictional interpretation of the replay was quite entertaining but ultimately the tmo didn't buy it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Alec Adoo MBE_
Novice

Post by Alec Adoo MBE_ »

Clermont will be a big ask however they bear no resemblance to their team of 5-6 years ago. They beat the Cheetahs 27-22 yesterday in what was Ruan Pienaar’s very last game of professional rugby. Have a great retirement Ruan and thank you for all you did for Ulster rugby!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:28 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

He did his best to overrule the Addison score. A mind-bending entirely fictional interpretation of the replay was quite entertaining but ultimately the tmo didn't buy it.
He was happy enough but then he imagined the knocked back off the leg thing.

I reckon there’s an argument that it only looked like it went backwards because Bobby went forwards but, hey, Montpellier would have found a way for us to win anyway.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Alec Adoo MBE_ wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:04 pm Clermont will be a big ask however they bear no resemblance to their team of 5-6 years ago. They beat the Cheetahs 27-22 yesterday in what was Ruan Pienaar’s very last game of professional rugby. Have a great retirement Ruan and thank you for all you did for Ulster rugby!
Over 400 senior games. Some career :salut:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It doesn’t say it does in the summary of the rules.

It was similarly unclear why Ruan would have got a game at Ravenhill had the Cheetahs won (albeit his skipper didn’t say that exactly)