The Decline of Ferris

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

flatpass
Novice

Re: The Decline of Ferris

Post by flatpass »

It’s not about whether SF is right or wrong to post on X comparing formers players with current players. We all know we had some world-class players in the not too distant past. And we all know the current crop are nowhere near their level. Though we do have some very good players (eg Henderson, Herring, Kitshoff, McCloskey, Timoney) and we do have some very good prospects (eg Wilson, McCann, Sheridan) with more young players still behind them. And we do have some good players with talent and ability who need to rediscover form and confidence - eg Stockdale, Baloucoune, Cooney, Hume, S Moore, Lowry. Yes, there is dross and some need to move on. But there are also guys who need their skills and physique developed, others who need better coaching, and others who need encouraged.

It’s about whether it is appropriate or not for a former player, no matter how good he was, to post negatively about individual players in a public way. I consider it inappropriate and bad form.

What seems to be overlooked in this discussion is the context if 4 away matches in S Africa and France - no easy gig for any team. Against the Sharks we were very poor. Against the Stormers we were much better and not far away from nicking it. Against Montpellier we got a good win, albeit with the help of cards and the opposition imploding. Against Clermont we were right in it until half time. The second half was hard to watch, but we lost significant players to injury - Moore after a couple of minutes, Herring before the end of the first half, Henderson and Kitshoff early in the second half, 2 guys who were carrying well and playing well. We don’t have the strength in depth to cope with that, so the second half developed into carnage.

My point is not that we are ok, for we are not. We need a 10, and 2 or 3 forwards with 3 or 4 years in their legs, and we need a benefactor who will give UR a cash injection for 5 years. And we need these urgently. But don’t trash the players. And certainly don’t trash them publicly. They don’t like losing like that any more than we do.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Surely the best response the players could do to make a point to Ferris is to just unfriend him en masse.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:53 pm Surely the best response the players could do to make a point to Ferris is to just unfriend him en masse.
Or stop Conceding 40/50points? That’s the only way they will win respect of former players.

This is not a great Ulster side. Our most naturally gifted player by a distance is Jacob Stockdale, a player derided by many on here, so I think some should get off their high chair with their criticism of Ferris.

We’re screwed in a lot of positions, but most notably at halfback. Cooneys form has fallen off a cliff, he is 33 or 34 now, not the age many backs can rejuvenate their career.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:53 pm Surely the best response the players could do to make a point to Ferris is to just unfriend him en masse.
Bit harsh tbf.
Might hurt someone's feelings.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Big-al wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:02 pm
Or stop Conceding 40/50points? That’s the only way they will win respect of former players.

This is not a great Ulster side. Our most naturally gifted player by a distance is Jacob Stockdale, a player derided by many on here, so I think some should get off their high chair with their criticism of Ferris.

We’re screwed in a lot of positions, but most notably at halfback. Cooneys form has fallen off a cliff, he is 33 or 34 now, not the age many backs can rejuvenate their career.
So none of the current playing squad will win the respect of former players if they give their all, but lose by 40/50 points? If the players give their all they certainly have my respect.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Or stop Conceding 40/50points?
Isn't that the responsibility of the defence coach? Our defence has been poor since Bell arrived. My primary concern is the quality of the assistant coaches at the moment, a head coach can't do everything.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Silverstu wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm
Or stop Conceding 40/50points?
Isn't that the responsibility of the defence coach? Our defence has been poor since Bell arrived. My primary concern is the quality of the assistant coaches at the moment, a head coach can't do everything.
Defence can’t stop everything when the back 3 keep dropping high balls (namely Lowry/Baloucoune), or the lineout keep gets getting turned over, or the opposition win clean breakdown without any disruption.

I don’t think there is one part of the Ulster gameplan that is working. Set piece is a shambles, defence usually gets torn open after a handful of phases, back 3!keep getting turned over. Attack is almost non existent in his past couple of seasons.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Can’t think of anyone on here who wouldn’t pick Stockdale (unless Murphy has registered).
Sue Dename
Novice

Post by Sue Dename »

I was on a flight back from an away game (possibly Glasgow) a couple/few years back, the team were on the same plane as was Ferris.
It was pretty obvious Ferris was persona non grata as he tried to talk and engage with the players onboard.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Maybe Stevie Ferris should give the players some advice instead as he certainly knows what it's like to be that low. He was after all part of ulster teams which finished 2nd bottom, 3rd bottom and 3rd bottom over 3 consecutive years from 2007/2008 onwards
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes and he should have been banned from publishing anything else for public consumption after he put that brad pitt book out.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think we have all wondered if Ferris had an age level for his opinions/comments/views. Thanks to big Stu for clearing it up. A bit generous mind.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?