Stand up fer the Ulstermen in London

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

The Lyric do have Setanta Ireland and will be showing the game however Man U v Portsmouth is on earlier that evening (5:15 ko) so he said we'd likely miss the start of the Munster-Ulster game until the Man U game is over.
Brennan! Still, good work on the calls Mike.

Not that you need backing up.. but you're pretty much right about O'Neills. I hear (from my Uncle who works for the chain) that it varies from branch to branch. Some are owned by the parent company, some are franchises..
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I called a couple of other places - O'Neills Shepherds Bush and The Chester Arms near Regents Park (a pub mentioned in the munsterfans forum) and neither of them had Setanta Ireland.

The Lyric is the only place I've found in the centre of town so far however we'd likely miss the start of the Ulster game until the Man U game is over.

I could ask Captain Morgans in Brentford - they've always shown any CL/HC/Ireland game I've wanted to see and they have multiple TVs but it may be a trek for some of you to get there.

Preferences or other ideas?
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

I'm having a think, and reading through some of the posts on the munster boards to see if any of them have a good idea.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

aarons wrote:I'm having a think, and reading through some of the posts on the munster boards to see if any of them have a good idea.
I did trawl through the munster forum for ideas and thats where I got the Chester Arms from. I did see few places in Camden mentioned - Oxford Arms, Cobden Arms and Quinns but I haven't called any of them yet.

I think I did call one of them before one of the other games but spoke to some auld Fr. Jack soundalike who gave me no confidence that he even understood what I was talking about....

I dunno if Waxy's is an option - they did show the Connacht game but then refused to show the Borders game the week after.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Called the Sports Cafe in Haymarket out of desperation. Had a good chat with the guy who answered the phone (who I presume was in some sort of authority). He said that he'd never had much call for Setanta Ireland (and that I was the only person to call and ask for it in six months). But he implied that he'd get it if there was the demand. So maybe we should start a campaign.

Have put an appeal on the Munster board as well.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Some news Aaron - I called Waxy's and spoke to the duty manager (Bobby from N Ireland) He said he needed to check and called me back to confirm they WILL be showing the Munster-Ulster game.

I suggest we go with Waxy's.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

that's good about Waxy's. Although I wish we could find a regular home where we could hear the games - there's little chance of that on Saturday night. Still, good stuff.

Do you think we could call the Lyric and bluff them :)
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

aarons wrote:that's good about Waxy's. Although I wish we could find a regular home where we could hear the games - there's little chance of that on Saturday night. Still, good stuff.
Maybe we could get a high profile Ulster person to do something for us? One of the NI MPs to ask questions in the House of Commons? Eamonn Holmes on whatever TV show he is on these days? The chick on Blue Peter to award a badge? Whatshername in Girls Aloud to record Stand Up for the Ulstermen?
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

We need someone with authority and prestige. Like Dermot Murnaghan. Or Jimmy Cricket.
Novice

Post by #10 »

How about the Porterhouse near the Strand? I'm sure I've seen rugby on their screen on occasion, and it's worth a shout (although if Waxy's is definitely showing it that's grand).
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

We'll try Waxys on Saturday #10 - hope to see you there and increase the number of Ulster rugby regulars in London!
pingus
Novice

Post by pingus »

As a relative newcomer to London and this website whats the plan for this friday?
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

waxys??? :roll:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

jamesie wrote:waxys??? :roll:
I called Waxys before the Biarritz-Ulster game (see first posting on this thread...) and was told they wouldn't be showing HC games as they no longer had Sky.

I will call them again later today to see if this is still the case but if so, a suggestion would be one of the O'Neills pubs around Soho/Covent Garden.

Unless someone has a particular favourite, a suggestion would be the O'Neills on Great Queen Street... the owner Keiran and manager Nuala are from N Ireland and were very friendly when we watched the Ospreys game there. It does get v busy on a Friday night so you need to get there early to grab a decent spot but then I suppose everywhere in the West End will be like that as well.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

forgot about that one :roll: i'll go for that mike :wink: have been there a few times. would be good for a few of us to rock up to show we're interested :wink: