A Queer Try

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

ali c
Warrior

A Queer Try

Post by ali c »

Anyone see this programme about the Belfast Titans last night?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00db2zq/
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Re: A Queer Try

Post by nonplussed »

fair play to them, its just a shame they didn't feel welcome at regular clubs, and needed to set up on their own.
Ball Boy
Initiate

Post by Ball Boy »

Thanks for the link Ali.

How can you say it's a publicity stunt YM? These are people from non-rugby backgrounds who want to give the sport a try. Plenty of today's mainstream clubs started out as 'special interest' groups such as school old-boys teams, church youth groups and so-on. Good for them I say.
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I think that BB has a point in that many clubs today started out as exclusive, and in some ways the Titans are just continuing that trend. Ther proof of the "segregation pudding" will be in the eating. If they develop as an exclusive Gay only club then they are surely segregating the sport. If they throw their door open to all comers then they are merely following the tradition of many clubs before them.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

It is hardly "segregation" YM - they aren't creating a separate league for gay clubs. I know that in London there has been a gay club playing in the local leagues for years. There was a feature about them on the BBC in London last year and membership wasn't exclusive - they had gay, straight and bisexual, but the point of the club was to provide an environment where gay men could feel comfortable.

Ball Boys point is a good one in that each club has its own ethos and culture and depending on the individual, people may feel more comfortable in some clubs than others. I had brief experience with a local club in England that I didn't particularly like as the majority of members were English public school types...(and maybe that says more about my prejudices than them! :wink: ) but it doesn't mean that upper class twits are segregating rugby.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

the point of the club was to provide an environment where gay men could feel comfortable.

Think that's true of the Titans,and apparently their constitution opens the club to all.
If they don't evolve into just another rugby club, as Y/M states this will be seen as a publicity stunt for "gay rights."
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Found this, think it's worth a read......................
"I just help out when they are busy,"
:lol:

Saturday May 10 2008

Rock Hudson wasn't long dead when the black armbands were distributed and the referee was asked to call a minute's silence. Hudson was a victim of his times and he had to keep his homosexuality a secret in order to secure the romantic leading man roles he craved.

The late and much loved Timmy Kennelly was the Listowel captain that day. The referee asked Timmy who had passed away.

"One of the Hudsons," was his answer. Timmy's mother's maiden name was Hudson. That was enough for the referee and he blew a shrill requiem to announce the silence for poor Roy Scherer Junior, Rock's real name.

Now, I can't say at the time any one of us was aware we were making any kind of a profound statement, but we knew as far as the GAA were concerned there was no such thing as homosexuality. There must have been hundreds of GAA players who were gay, but they kept their sexuality covert, or suppressed.

The news of the silence drove certain Fior Gaels clean out of their minds. One sentinel from a neighbouring club, who unfortunately is still with us, said it was "sacrilege" and that we "played like a bunch of homos anyway."

Luciano Moggi, the former Juventus MD, ignited the debate a couple of weeks back when he declared: "A homosexual cannot do the job of a footballer. The football world is not designed for them, it's a special atmosphere, one in which you stand naked under the showers."

Most gay groups laughed it off, but maybe there was something in what he said.

Homosexual

It must be very difficult for a gay man when he knows he is going to have to change, share rooms and showers with straight guys. Maybe the gay players are afraid the attitude of the heterosexuals might change if they discovered one of their team-mates was homosexual. All I know is that no gay star has come out in any sport in Ireland.

To my shame I joined in the teasing of a gay lad many years back. He was an easy target and I'm sure I hurt him, but by the time I copped on, he had left Ireland and he seldom comes home. Most of today's young gays are open about their sexuality and I think Ireland has progressed to the point where the vast majority judge you on whether or not you're a good human being.

That said, there must be some difficulty in transferring such admirable progress to sport. Moggi expressed an opinion most sports people would not agree with, but the fact remains, he gave us an insight into the obstacles placed before gay people.

Brian Clough couldn't accept the notion of a gay footballer. His homophobia wrecked Justin Fashanu's career and Fashanu eventually sold his story to 'The Sun.' He admitted he was gay and a few years on he killed himself.

'JUSTIN' was launched last week to fight against homophobia in sport and to mark the 10th anniversary of Fashanu's death. Fashanu thought he was about to be charged with the sexual assault of a 17-year-old boy even though he maintained his innocence. The police confirmed at the time of Fashanu's death all charges were dropped.

The fact remains he was in bed with a 17-year-old boy, Fashanu was 38. Justin had a tough life, but there are shades of Cathal O Searcaigh here. Cruel as it may seem and laudable as their motives may be, perhaps the gay community should look elsewhere for a hero.

Life will never again be the same for the first man out.

There may be no need for such a grand gesture. It might even be counter-productive. Very few of us can withstand intense scrutiny. If every club works towards the elimination of prejudice then the sporting life will change for the better.

A few years ago a close friend was asked if it was true he was a 'queer'? We cringed. The questioner had a few drinks in and just wanted to embarrass and harass. Our pal had told us privately he was homosexual. "I'm a small bit gay" was his very Kerry way of telling us, but he never came out to the world at large. Our friend buried his inquisitor with a one-liner and at the same time announced to all and sundry he was gay.

"I just help out when they are busy," was his reply.

No one should feel obliged to declare their sexuality, particularly in a sporting context.

The major sporting bodies have strong bullying policies. It's just a question of making sure gay kids are protected by enforcing the rules, but more importantly random acts of acceptance will ensure every youngster is comfortable in the jersey of his choice.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

YoungMan wrote:
but the point of the club was to provide an environment where gay men could feel comfortable.
and thats fine to make straight men unconfortable ................ :scratch:
If straight men feel uncomfortable playing a bunch of gay guys then it is the straight mens problem. As you say, they certainly are playing with and against gay guys anyway - they just don't know about it - so what difference does it make if you do know?
YoungMan wrote:
Guys why did they not just form a club call it Ulster Titans and get on with it without ramming the "we are gay and proud card" down peoples throats ... i just see this stunt detrimental to local rugby and wish them well .................but i will come back to this post at the end of the season when they are on minus points due to failing to fulfil fixtures and many players at local clubs failed to get a game tell me then that it was good for Ulster Rugby ...........
The point about their ability to fulfill their fixtures is a valid one and would apply to any rugby club. If the Ulster Titans can't do this then they shouldn't waste everyone's time.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

If these guys feel they can’t play for regular clubs that is not good.
If they have been driven out of regular clubs, that is worse.
If they have formed the team as a militant gay stunt to make a political point, that is worst of all.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

tonite BBC1 9.30pm.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I'll be in Nice so will pass on this opportunity.

ps i c Nice played Queensland on their recent tour.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

YoungMan wrote:Well today was the day that the titans got a taste of competitive rugby they arrived with 15 players some who up until today had never held a rugby ball in their lives however they give it all and lost narrowly 128-nil over 60 mins so well done still dont get it :scratch:
fixed that for you YM :wink:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
YoungMan wrote:Well today was the day that the titans got a taste of competitive rugby they arrived with 15 players some who up until today had never held a rugby ball in their lives however they give it all and lost narrowly 128-nil over 60 mins so well done still dont get it :scratch:
fixed that for you YM :wink:
Don’t humour him :whistle: :shake: