Suggestion Box

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Suggestion Box

Post by fermain »

To support the continuing quest for new ideas for the UAFC website, we would like to hear your suggestions. If anyone can think of decent content that Ulsterfans would find interesting, post it here. For example you might have seen something on other sports teams' websites that you think might work here also. Let us know... and stay on-topic!!!!! :D
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

has anyone ever mentioned cheerleaders?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Suggestion Box

Post by mikerob »

fermain wrote:To support the continuing quest for new ideas for the UAFC website, we would like to hear your suggestions. If anyone can think of decent content that Ulsterfans would find interesting, post it here. For example you might have seen something on other sports teams' websites that you think might work here also. Let us know... and stay on-topic!!!!! :D
One suggestion... an RSS feed to announce new content going up on the site such as match reports, new videos or other news.

Decent browsers (such as Firefox) have RSS readers built in, if not, there are standalone RSS browsers - even my new mobile phone has one.

It is much easier to quickly scan an RSS feed for new content than to go to the site itself (or maybe you would prefer that to get the number of hits up!)

From a rugby perspective, I subscribe to the ulsterrugby.com RSS feed and the BBC/Sport/Rugby/Irish RSS feed.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

:scratch: You'll get me totally confused Mike when fermain is away and I'm left to patch up the bit's and pieces :shock:
Will look into it though, not sure how the whole thing works :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote::scratch: You'll get me totally confused Mike when fermain is away and I'm left to patch up the bit's and pieces :shock:
Will look into it though, not sure how the whole thing works :?
There are high level explanation of RSS on the Ulster Rugby site here and BBC website

If you want to see what it looks like, using Firefox, go to a page that supports RSS, for example, the BBC Irish Rugby Website

On the bottom right hand corner of the browser, you should see a little orange icon with white lines in it.

If you click the icon, it brings up a pop-up saying "Subscribe to BBC Sport..." and if you select this, you can then save the RSS feed somewhere in the browser, such as a bookmarks folder or the browser toolbar. You can then click the icon for this RSS feed to see a list of stories from that webpage.

Selecting a particular story brings you to the webpage for that story.

I know some websites that use RSS feeds for their bulletin board (each posting generates a new story) but I think there would be too much traffic on the UAFC bulletin board for that. It is usually used for more "major" pieces of news.

I've used a couple of applications (blogging software and photo gallery) that have RSS support built in, but I don't know what would be required for this website.

Anyway, I thought it may be an interesting idea to look at - but certainly isn't a high priority.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Mike I will get him to look into it, I know how it works from the receiving end like yourself as I use it as well, it's the coding to get it to run that would worry me, have had a brief look and at present there are numerous versions and not a great lot of links between them and support is also a bit of a problem, I took 4 goes at it before I eventually got the UR site to work on my version of Firefox, then updated firefox and have lost it again :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Fair enough Rooster - I agree the Ulster website RSS does seem to be a bit dodgy as I've had problems with this one as well while the BBC and other work-related RSS feeds seem to be fine.

I haven't a clue what the server-side options are...

On a different but related point, one of the applications I've used with integrated RSS support has been Gallery which is an open source package for displaying photos.

Has there been any thought to use something like this or similar for the Gallery on UAFC so the photos are organised into "albums" (e.g. one per game) rather than just numerical page numbers?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Just checked and Dreamweaver, which this site is built with, has an option for RSS so it may be possible server permitting.

On the "Gallery" idea, it's a good job fermain is not on at present :lol: he put a lot of time into setting I think it was the same programme up to automatically load pages sent in by contributors but his host server won't let him run it :evil: :evil: the entire software is loaded up here but you can't access it. Needless to say a lot of muttering went onImage
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I wasn't really thinking about automatic display of photos - it is probably a good idea that there is some manual intervention to stop anything dodgy being displayed (although a pain for the person that does it) - it was more the organisation of the gallery based upon albums rather than a continuous set of page numbers.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

It would never be totally automatic Mike just the upload bit and resizing, you wouldn't believe the size of some of the photos he gets :lol: They would always be checked before being able to view as you say there are some dodgy people out there :shock:
Rory Best
the lone hydrangea
Novice

Post by the lone hydrangea »

As a humble Wallaby supporter feeling a lot of pain at the moment and im still getting confused trolling the site. Trying to find the different forums ive posted in and not remembering what thread ive posted in is doing my head in. The TWF site brings up a little icon next to the thread stating that you have already replied in that thread, so its easier to get your head around it. Im still deciphering Norniron? Cheers from Perth
goodaine
Chancellor to the King

Post by goodaine »

Hi Perth
If you go onto your last post & click on your profile - on the top right is a link to see all the post made by someone .... i find this helps me when having a 'blond' moment :lol: :lol:

I'm not drunk! I just have speech impediment... [vomits]
and a stomach virus... [falls off bar stool]
and an inner ear infection."
Brian Griffin
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

How about a new members category?
So new members can introduce themselves to the boards...
Lets face it, not everyone here knows each other, when I first joined I knew nobody!
It'll make the whole atmosphere more relaxed, and you can get an idea of peoples likes / dislikes then sleg them about it! ;)

Colinx
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Suggest that with the World Cup up and coming a seperate Head might easy the congestion on other areas such as" Provincial and other" and Internationals

and then in 12 months removed so as we are not reminded of our mistakes and waffle
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bogboy wrote:Suggest that with the World Cup up and coming a seperate Head might easy the congestion on other areas such as" Provincial and other" and Internationals

and then in 12 months removed so as we are not reminded of our mistakes and waffle
What about removing at the end of September and banning the subject :shock:
Rory Best