It's TIME again

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Re: It's TIME again

Post by pythagoras »

Just visited Munsterfans and 'The babbling brook' Leinster site and they both show the correct time.
I know the munsterfans site has a setting to automatically detect daylight saving time, so even when your setting is GMT it will adjust the displayed time. Presumably the leinster site does something similar.
The Connacht clan forum gets over the time zone problem by displaying the duration since a message was posted rather than the date/time.

Meanwhile oop north amidst the dreary steeples :terror: :oman: it remains forever wintertime
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Page 4 :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Snipe Watson wrote:Page 4 :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
If you want things to stay as they are, things will have to change
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

okay, P, tell me did you log in to each board?

In most messageboard control panels, there is a facility to set the time... BST, GMT etc, however the time set in the CP has nothing to do with users. It is the time displayed to Guests and others not logged in. There is a daylight saving time [DST] option and the timezone displayed is set in the users profile in the UCP.

If the administrator of a board was to change the time twice yearly all previous posts during the legitimate daylight savings time period end up getting shifted backwards/forwards as well. For example, a post made on Aug 30 at 9:52pm now shows that it was made on Aug 30 at 8:52pm. This is incorrect. You want me to change the time zone, but you mean changing the clock from this point onwards, not retroactively for every post on the board! That post was still made at 9:52pm, regardless of whether current posts are made in summer time now or not.

As pointed out by others not everyone is on DST, and for those that are it starts and stops at different times. So since people in general seem to be able to change their clocks, watches, DVDs, etc. twice a year, why is it different for you to do this to save them with a single mouse click?
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pythagoras wrote:Just visited Munsterfans and 'The babbling brook' Leinster site and they both show the correct time.
I know the munsterfans site has a setting to automatically detect daylight saving time, so even when your settingyou slag is GMT it will adjust the displayed time. Presumably the leinster site does something similar.
The Connacht clan forum gets over the time zone problem by displaying the duration since a message was posted rather than the date/time.

Meanwhile oop north amidst the dreary steeples :terror: :oman: it remains forever wintertime
bunnypancake.jpg
bunnypancake.jpg (35.89 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
As the characters in Easternenders might well say: Leave it you slag.

Hey Buddy did you major in persistence at college?

And finally, you should understand that Fermian has the power of life and death as a poster here, whilst your offence is relatively minor, you should be aware of that.

Chill out Py-Brennan its just a measurement of time, its not life and death. Come to think about it, why am I bothering to get involved
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

fermain wrote:okay, P, tell me did you log in to each board?
I was logged in on Munsterfans, I'm not a member of either the Leinster or Connacht boards.
Munster and Leinster boards both showed the correct time while the connacht board showed the durations since postings were made, which neatly sidesteps the whole problem.

BTW when did you update the time displayed to guests to GMT+1?

fermain wrote: As pointed out by others not everyone is on DST, and for those that are it starts and stops at different times. So since people in general seem to be able to change their clocks, watches, DVDs, etc. twice a year, why is it different for you to do this to save them with a single mouse click?
That's the thing. I no longer need to change the time twice a year on anything I bought since about the year 2000.
My computer, phone, dvd player, everything all do it automatically.
It's not your fault, it's my opinion that phpBB the forum software you're using is outdated in this regard.
Munsterfans use vBulletin and there is a setting there to 'automatically detect DST''.
And it's not one-click on phpBB, it's about 5 by the time you go from the index page to your settings and back again, plus you have to remember what the steps are for something you only do twice a year.
There's a principle in software design 'Don't make me think' to do with usability.

"Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which we can perform without thinking of them."

Anyway I won't bang on about this anymore, since BT is worried I might get banned :lol:

Edit to add a link to a mod that claims to fix this (previous mod I linked to doesn't) \
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The Leinster board is the same as this one and when you log in you need to set your time zone or change to summer time.
That mod does not work for everyone and the Munster board will get some peoples time zones wrong as well so man up and change your own feckin time and don't be so lazy
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

pythagoras wrote: There's a principle in software design 'Don't make me think' to do with usability.
Is that because you can't think for yourself Pythagoras?

Honestly you're like a dog with a bone - it really isn't a big deal. Get over it.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Oi Fermain, you still up? Bloody clock is wrong :shock: I'm in Spain & your lying site clock says its 1 & a scattering of minutes, well if that were true there wouldn't be this shower of bellends in the bar it would be just me cos this lot don't go out until 2am.

Any chance you could nudge the clock forward an hour, might even please Py-Brennan ............... no wait, he's not in Spain ............ach forget it :drunken:
John Wayne.gif
John Wayne.gif (241.65 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
Oi Manuel, cervaaaaaaaaaaaathaaaaaaaaa por pavor, or wah ever, hurry up or you know what will happen
manuel.jpg
manuel.jpg (5.22 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
Here, I luv Alster so aye do. :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

LOL keep celebrating that magnificent win Baggy...
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

@BT
You'd need to turn the clock back 24 hours to make me happy