iPlayer (on-line version)

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

The Towse
Novice

iPlayer (on-line version)

Post by The Towse »

Think I'm being a bit of a techno gimp.
Didn't record the match and just tried to watch it again by streamin(?) on iPlayer
Keeps stopping and starting. Much as I want to watch it again, my short temper couldn't stand that. But can't see anywhere to download it from. Am I, as I fear, a techno gimp and missing something really simple? Thanks
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: iPlayer (on-line version)

Post by ColinM »

The iplayer (like Rooster's vids) has two different quality settings. There is a wee button near the volume to change it, but i think the default is lower quality.

You could try starting it up and then pausing it to see if it buffers up better, or watch it off peak when your broadband might be running a bit better.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I have a Mac at home and use an application called iPlayer Downloader and downloaded the entire game yesterday so it is possible but I don't know what the PC options are.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

mikerob wrote:I have a Mac at home and use an application called iPlayer Downloader and downloaded the entire game yesterday so it is possible but I don't know what the PC options are.
I was wondering if this option was available, having forgotten to record it. I am sure there would be an equivalent application available for PCs. will have a look later and opst a link if i find one.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I came across a something called ipdl on this webpage http://po-ru.com/projects/iplayer-downloader/ that also links to the mac application I use.

Disclaimer: I haven't used this so don't know if it will work
The Towse
Novice

Post by The Towse »

pc version works perfectly. thanks a million! how happy am I! :D
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Thanks Mike, excellent little application...fools the bbc into thinking my PC is an iphone :scratch: and lets me download the rugby from Saturday :cheers:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

ColinM wrote:Thanks Mike, excellent little application...fools the bbc into thinking my PC is an iphone :scratch: and lets me download the rugby from Saturday :cheers:
BBC iPlayer normally uses Flash for streaming video. The iPhone doesn't support Flash so the BBC also encode programs as H264 (another video standard) that the iPhone does support. Some people discovered a workaround that allows the H264 version to be downloaded and that is why the app pretends to be the browser on an iPhone.

It is possible this will stop working if the BBC change the way iPlayer works... so if this happens, check and see if the app has been updated, although the developers may take a while to figure out how to get round things if the BBC really decide to stop this working.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

So what is the story here? With most iplayer stuff, I just download it and watch it any time in the nest week or whatever. But I don't seem to get that option for the rugby. Is it a liscensing thing?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Well I was hoping that what i had downloaded with that wee gizmo was going to be mine to keep? Is it going to be time limited?

Normally i just stream whatever i want to watch
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

ColinM wrote:Well I was hoping that what i had downloaded with that wee gizmo was going to be mine to keep? Is it going to be time limited?
No - the video file (it should have a .mov in the file name) downloaded by the app I mentioned isn't time limited or protected by DRM in any way.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

works well for me... A great tool!
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

I too have a Mac. As an old man, I only use it to flash however.
These ipdl's and DRM's - can they heighten my experience when I open my Mac?

Defining TLA's when first used would be af great assistance to the reader.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

cables wrote:I too have a Mac. As an old man, I only use it to flash however.
These ipdl's and DRM's - can they heighten my experience when I open my Mac?

Defining TLA's when first used would be af great assistance to the reader.
Flash = proprietary software for displaying video/multimedia content on the internet. Developed by Adobe.

H264 = an international standard for digital video (the good thing about standards are there are lots of them to choose from :wink: )

DRM = Digital Rights Management. This is a "lock" built into some music or video files that can stop you playing it on more than one computer, or stops you playing it after a certain time period.

ipdl is just the name of the application. It is probably short for iPlayer Download but it has been invented by the person who wrote the application.