New Super Rugby 'White Card'

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Have been watching a lot of Super rugby recently as was watching the Lions - Cheetahs came last week when I seen the ref handing out a yellow and a White card. Bit confused about what the idea was and found this after looking around a bit

http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/03/2380/a ... uper-rugby

What do you think? Do you think it would benefit the game at all if the IRB took it onboard?

Super Rugby have also introduced the off-field yellow card, again what does anyone else think?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Rocket
Novice

Post by Rocket »

I'm not convinced it will work. If a player does something that deserved a yellow or a red I think the introduction of a white allows the ref a get out clause.

I think it would be more beneficial to allow a tmo to confirm red cards.

Or how about this. Someone does something that may deserve a red but the ref is not sure. The ref could issue a white, to indicate to the tmo to review. Whilst the decision is pending the game could continue with that player remaining on the pitch. The tmo could then come back to the ref to confirm the decision. Hope that makes sense it does to me.
UlsterUlster
Novice

Re: New Super Rugby 'White Card'

Post by UlsterUlster »

Or all yellow cards automatically reviewed by tmo during 10 mins sin bin, upgrading to red as needed. It'll keep the boredom off the tmo too. And it'll stop refs bottling it.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

What's the off field yellow about?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:What's the off field yellow about?
When a player does something dodgy in the game, the ref doesnt pick up on it but its worthy of a yellow, the Citing Commisioner can give them the off-field yellow card. Basically the same as an on field yellow card in that it is recorded in the players disciplinery record books. Off-field yellow seems a good idea, better than the white card imo. It would stop players trying pretty cheeky things throughout the game because they know it will get picked up on after. Prime example of an off-field yellow card being issued in the Northern Hemisphere would be Nathan Hines holding our three players down at Clermont.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

I'm not sure there is any point of the white card if its only an indication that something may need looked at in more detail - sure thats what the citing commissioner is supposed to do already. In some ways I like the idea of the TMO being able to upgrade a yellow to a red if necessary - however in reality it would mean the end of the red card as refs will always take advantage of a second look if they can get it.