Super 15 2014

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Super 15 2014

Post by breakdown »

Super 15 starts again today, looking forward to it.

First game of the season, Cheetahs vs Lions, being played right now

Fancy Chiefs to do it again, Sharks could be dangerous too this season, subsequently both have players we should be watching closely....
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
HoneyBadger
Novice

Re: Super 15 2014

Post by HoneyBadger »

Lot of expectation on sharks, hard to look past chiefs though. Blues and tahs be good outsiders, even to make semis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Very good game between Sharks and Bulls so far
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

breakdown wrote:Very good game between Sharks and Bulls so far
Yip great stuff ....................... if missed tackles, massive error count, appalling referee/TMO decisions float yer landing craft. :shock:

I'd have said "interesting" rather than "very good", part SA power, part car crash. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
breakdown wrote:Very good game between Sharks and Bulls so far
Yip great stuff ....................... if missed tackles, massive error count, appalling referee/TMO decisions float yer landing craft. :shock:

I'd have said "interesting" rather than "very good", part SA power, part car crash. :D
The one thing that did strike me about that game was that all the three quarters on show had some serious gas. First game of the seaason may account for errors, sloppy play missed tackles etc. Still enjoyed it. Some of those forwards are absolute monsters.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Sharks game last weekend was enjoyable.

Just watching the Chiefs v Crusaders game now. I was going to say that it was all Crusaders so far but Chiefs have just went and got a try.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Am I the only one who likes to watch S15 but has never been interested enough in the machinations of the organisation of the event to get to the bottom of the frankly hideous notion of "conferences"?

For me conferences meant the things my Da used to speak at in his Union days, sometimes occasioning a family exodus to Fossetts Hotel up at the Port.

If someone can spare a few minutes to tell me the significance of conferences in S15 I would moderately grateful for in truth I can't be bothered and will otherwise just watch the rugby and accept that what will be will be.

Gracias.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Crusaders won't be happy after that. I think it was 7 missed penalties.

Baggy from what little I know you have your three conferences and the winner of each progresses to the semi and then the team with the highest number of points across the whole lot that didn't top their conference will go through. They're the wild card.

Each team plays a home and away against the teams in their conference and has a few matches against teams from the other conferences. Not sure how this is decided but I'd assume by a draw.

Pretty simple I think :scratch:

Think its increasing to 17 teams if plans go ahead. An extra South African team and one from Argentina. Not sure how it will work then.

Because of the odd number of teams each week a team get a bye. From this season on no points are awarded in a bye week.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Brumbies vs Force on right now, entertaining but one sided game, Brumbies seem quite good so far

On a side note, how good is Folau? 5 tries in 2 games is just incredible for a full back
HoneyBadger
Novice

Post by HoneyBadger »

14 man sharks beat crusader in NZ, pretty entertains match. Played most of the match with 14 men too.
Using Tapatalk
richardt84
Novice

Super 15 2014

Post by richardt84 »

Absolutely no complaints about the red card but it frustrates me that the provocation goes unpunished.
The Sharks 7 tried twice to release his foot but on both occasions the Crusaders 6 kept holding and prevented him from reaching a breakdown-the second stamp was clearly a red but I feel that actions such as the holding carried out by the Crusaders 6 should be a yellow.

I remember Chris Henry yelling at the touch judge a few seasons ago in Clermont when Hines was doing the same but the touch judge didn't even alert the ref for a penalty-not sure if that was the incident that led to the try but in cases like that it seems to be a no risk strategy for the culprit with the reward being an advantage in play with one man less committed to the opposition breakdown or a potential red for opposition reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

It was Ferris in Clermont. He was going mental at the touch judge and he alerted the ref. There try came when Hines went in cleared possibly Henry leaving a gap for the player with the ball. Dirty brad pitt

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk
HoneyBadger
Novice

Post by HoneyBadger »

Refereeing in Christchurch is always pretty poor.
Using Tapatalk
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Am I the only one who likes to watch S15 but has never been interested enough in the machinations of the organisation of the event to get to the bottom of the frankly hideous notion of "conferences"?

For me conferences meant the things my Da used to speak at in his Union days, sometimes occasioning a family exodus to Fossetts Hotel up at the Port.

If someone can spare a few minutes to tell me the significance of conferences in S15 I would moderately grateful for in truth I can't be bothered and will otherwise just watch the rugby and accept that what will be will be.

Gracias.
Just seeing this now.

3 conferences - one for each country - 5 teams in each.
You must play every team in your conference home and away.
You must play 4 teams from the other two conferences once.
Points from all of the matches are accumulated as normal.
Winners of each conference go through.
The two conference winning teams with the most points are automatically in the semis.
Third conference winner plays off against the next three highest achievers (known as the wildcards) from an overall table of accumulated match points for the last two semi places.

Therefore
Semi 1 = Conference 1 winner v [Conference 3 Winner/3rd Wildcard]
Semi 2 - Conference 2 winner v [1st Wildcard/2nd Wildcard]
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

The conferences ensure each country is represented in the play-offs. Think that's pretty much the sole reason for their existence.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.