Super Rugby 2016

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Super Rugby 2016

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote:rebels not the only ones. 4 kiwis sides beat 4 aussie sides 203-63. got to worry about the continued expansion.
You are right, but Rebels were just a disgrace, despite scoring 4 tries themselves. 85 points conceded? :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
againstthehead wrote:rebels not the only ones. 4 kiwis sides beat 4 aussie sides 203-63. got to worry about the continued expansion.
You are right, but Rebels were just a disgrace, despite scoring 4 tries themselves. 85 points conceded? :duh:
Tackling has been optional for a while in Super rugby. Teams are set up to attack not defend. We are the opposite.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Yep it was shocking.
Crusaders play a 2 4 2 attacking formation.in the forwards which is great when you have props that can distribute like centres.
However when there is turn overs it leaves massive opportunity for mismatches that even a poor rebels side exposed.
I suppose it shows their emphasis on attack as Snipe said.

I know people like seeing scores in rugby but not cheap ones and the half empty stadiums reflect that.

Nothing I saw yesterday really grabbed me.
I love the attritional side of rugby none of which was on view.
Something the Nh matches certainly have.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

bazzaj wrote:Yep it was shocking.
Crusaders play a 2 4 2 attacking formation.in the forwards which is great when you have props that can distribute like centres.
However when there is turn overs it leaves massive opportunity for mismatches that even a poor rebels side exposed.
I suppose it shows their emphasis on attack as Snipe said.

I know people like seeing scores in rugby but not cheap ones and the half empty stadiums reflect that.

Nothing I saw yesterday really grabbed me.
I love the attritional side of rugby none of which was on view.
Something the Nh matches certainly have.
what is a 2 4 2?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

It's a system used to give width to phase play integrating forwards and backs.

In a nutshell.
2 backrowers on one wing
2 props and both second rows in the middle.
The Hooker and remaining back rower on the other wing.

It relies on all forwards having a good skill set with decision making ability.

Connacht also use it amongst others.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

I had to adjust my glasses when Liam Messam came on @ Suncorp.
As expected he has lost a lot of arm and leg muscle playing sevens and looks in finely tuned shape for a running game.
Wouldn't look out of place in one of Bazzaj's fairy playbooks..
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

bazzaj wrote:It's a system used to give width to phase play integrating forwards and backs.

In a nutshell.
2 backrowers on one wing
2 props and both second rows in the middle.
The Hooker and remaining back rower on the other wing.

It relies on all forwards having a good skill set with decision making ability.

Connacht also use it amongst others.
Every day is a learning day. Neat.

Enjoyed the chiefs game last night - nice bit of physicality - tries 2&3 decent:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11675929
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

QF line up:

Fri 22 Jul

Brumbies (4) v Highlanders (5) - 9am

Sat 23 Jul

Hurricanes (1) v Sharks (8) - 8:35am
Lions (2) v Crusaders (7) - 3:30pm
Stormers (3) v Chiefs (6) - 6pm

For the SF - no 1 seed of the 4 sides will host no 4 with no 2 hosting no 3. Highest ranking side in the final gets home advantage.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Neill_M wrote:QF line up:

Fri 22 Jul

Brumbies (4) v Highlanders (5) - 9am

Sat 23 Jul

Hurricanes (1) v Sharks (8) - 8:35am
Lions (2) v Crusaders (7) - 3:30pm
Stormers (3) v Chiefs (6) - 6pm

For the SF - no 1 seed of the 4 sides will host no 4 with no 2 hosting no 3. Highest ranking side in the final gets home advantage.
I'd say highlanders, canes, lions and stormers.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Over the last few years I have been encouraging people to watch the super rugby as an antidote to the turgid stuff seen on view in the Nh.

Over the last season or two I feel a change coming on.
The likes of Rob Baxter at Exeter, Pat Lam at Connacht have led the way and our very own Ulster are playing a structured but exciting brand of rugby.

The only thing we have done nationally rather than learn from the Sh is bring them over with all the home nations having a Sh coach installed.

The major disparity right now is the 1-15 skill set of their sides.
We like certain players to do certain things and assign specific roles.
They are more about the total rugby and whilst New Zealanders have 18 stone props ball handling like centres and we don't, you can't help but feel it will always give them an edge.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

This competition doesn't half drag on
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Going to say 4 NZ sides in the semi finals. Crusaders have already beat the Lions in SA during the regular season, edged an 80 pointer - 43-37.

The Lions gambled at the weekend by sending a weakened side to Argentina to play the Jaguares, they lost the game and top seeding to the Hurricanes - could prove decisive if the two make the final - would be in NZ rather than in Jo'Burg.

One issue that has come out of the 1st season under the new format is that teams are winning their regional sections with less points - thus getting home draws in the playoffs than teams in other sections who have had to take wild card places in the playoffs and be on the road, i.e.

Hurricanes 53................Hurricanes 53
Lions 52.......................Lions 52
Stormers 51..................Highlanders 52
Brumbies 43..................Chiefs 51

Highlanders 52...............Stormers 51
Chiefs 51......................Crusaders 50
Crusaders 50..................Brumbies 43
Sharks 43......................Sharks 43
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:This competition doesn't half drag on
You're right Russ, every year I try to be enthused, every year I lose interest halfway through. Still watch it at home on a Friday morning though, maybe Saturday morning too.

It's obviously got some great rugby but I tire of massive shorelines and uncompetitive games, The Dragons may be shîte but they will fight the bit out with a bit of pride unlike the bloody Rebels a few weeks back.

Given they are always struggling financially, they cannot move to a final being in a prearranged venue for fear nobody turns up. It was a bold and correct move for the PRO12 to do just that.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Neill_M wrote:Going to say 4 NZ sides in the semi finals. Crusaders have already beat the Lions in SA during the regular season, edged an 80 pointer - 43-37.

The Lions gambled at the weekend by sending a weakened side to Argentina to play the Jaguares, they lost the game and top seeding to the Hurricanes - could prove decisive if the two make the final - would be in NZ rather than in Jo'Burg.

One issue that has come out of the 1st season under the new format is that teams are winning their regional sections with less points - thus getting home draws in the playoffs than teams in other sections who have had to take wild card places in the playoffs and be on the road, i.e.

Hurricanes 53................Hurricanes 53
Lions 52.......................Lions 52
Stormers 51..................Highlanders 52
Brumbies 43..................Chiefs 51

Highlanders 52...............Stormers 51
Chiefs 51......................Crusaders 50
Crusaders 50..................Brumbies 43
Sharks 43......................Sharks 43
Will be interesting. The bok coaches are moaning about not playing kiwi sides all year so are at a disadvantage. On the other hand, I reckon the kiwi sides have played too much rugby and will struggle for intensity in the knock outs. Hard to know but I think the SA sides at home will be hard to beat. Chiefs a bit soft up front for me and Lions have been decent.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Dire win for the highlanders over the brumbies. Clearly that roof in Otago has affected how they play wet-weather rugby. Long time since I saw so much kicking in super rugby - baaaaaaa.