Super Rugby 2017

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6408
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by damianmcr » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:27 pm

Its not even the worst Aus side getting cut if rumours are to be believed.

Western Force, Southern Kings and the Cheetahs wont be in it next year.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6238
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by Neill_M » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:57 pm

damianmcr wrote:Its not even the worst Aus side getting cut if rumours are to be believed.

Western Force, Southern Kings and the Cheetahs wont be in it next year.
Needs changed. The Saffer sides who made the POs last year did not play a NZ side during regular season etc and then got smashed by them

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6408
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by damianmcr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:19 am

The South Africans are guaranteed two teams in the playoffs as well this season. It seems they may have realised they have bitten off more than they could chew.

User avatar
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6927
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by againstthehead » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:34 am

The good thing about the current format is that the kiwi sides play eachother a lot which is creating a lot of explosive derbies. Couple of south African sides also very strong. Aussie sides are nowhere at the minute.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20950
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:38 am

It's the same level as the amlin.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6927
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by againstthehead » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:56 am

Dave wrote:It's the same level as the amlin.
mmm, we'll see after the Lions come down...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20950
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:01 am

againstthehead wrote:
Dave wrote:It's the same level as the amlin.
mmm, we'll see after the Lions come down...
They are not in the amlin.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

UlsterAreBrill
Initiate
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by UlsterAreBrill » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:21 am

againstthehead wrote:The good thing about the current format is that the kiwi sides play eachother a lot which is creating a lot of explosive derbies. Couple of south African sides also very strong. Aussie sides are nowhere at the minute.
The game between the Chiefs and the Stormers was great, Mckenzie is a class player. All Kiwi sides, bar Hurricanes who seem unstoppable, seem to be able to take points of each other, Stormers and the Lions are going well but the rest of the sides are fairly poor. I had thought the Reds would be decent this year bringing in Moore, Cooper, Douglas among a few other players but they've been arguably worse than the year before

User avatar
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6927
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by againstthehead » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:29 am

McKenzie is a wee cracker but too small for the modern game? I hope not because there should always be a place for pace and skill as opposed to big boshers.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'

lw7
Novice
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by lw7 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 pm

McKenzie is one Daring player. Totally fearless. Skeletric running full of little details with lots of trick shots.
He has an unrestricted role at 15 in a confident, flowing Chiefs team. It fits his skill set.

Playing at stand off next year will be a different proposition.
He will be relied upon to give the Chiefs team direction and control the game that the team needs, not necessarily what he wants to do.
He played quite a bit at 10 in his rookie year (2015) and He understandably looked raw at times.

Jordie Barrett by comparison, is an ice cool headed kid, less frantic than McKenzie, bigger framed, glides through space like a swan on rocket fuel, very accurate pass kick and generally more structured than Damien.

User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 30220
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: España

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by BaggyTrousers » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 am

Caught the last 15 minutes of Reds V Hond 47-34 but in the time I watched Kings scored 3 tries & had two disallowed.

The only scrum in that time, right at the end, our boy gave his opposite number a hard time.

Entertaining.
Support the team and coaching staff. Forget the rest,BUT NEVER MOVE ON.

FIRFU - FU'CK YOU ONE AND ALL, CAVING IN TO SPONSORS, SACKING THE INNOCENT FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, SHAMEFUL BASTA'RDS. YOU'VE LOST MY SUPPORT & I HOPE MORE ULSTERMEN & WOMEN

User avatar
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6927
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by againstthehead » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:35 pm

lw7 wrote:McKenzie is one Daring player. Totally fearless. Skeletric running full of little details with lots of trick shots.
He has an unrestricted role at 15 in a confident, flowing Chiefs team. It fits his skill set.

Playing at stand off next year will be a different proposition.
He will be relied upon to give the Chiefs team direction and control the game that the team needs, not necessarily what he wants to do.
He played quite a bit at 10 in his rookie year (2015) and He understandably looked raw at times.

Jordie Barrett by comparison, is an ice cool headed kid, less frantic than McKenzie, bigger framed, glides through space like a swan on rocket fuel, very accurate pass kick and generally more structured than Damien.
Yup, I can see Jordie making it. Looks fairly comfortable already - how many fekkin Barretts are there?
Blues - Canes game was decent. Blues are a bit like Ulster - show glimpses of potential but just don't have the backbone to beat decent sides when the chips are down. When I think about it Afoa, Charlie and Jared all came from the Blues....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'

lw7
Novice
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by lw7 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:52 pm

'Plunket' Bill Williams has been quiet during his first two outings for Auckland, re-adjusting to the 15 man code in a new team. The Canes did a good job of flooding the passing channels around him last weekend on the few occasions he carried the ball. His telescopic handling has raised the bar for offloading but if you choke up his options He looks one dimensional.

User avatar
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2113
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Super Rugby 2017

Post by kingofthehill » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Hond looks like he can scrum.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.

User avatar
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6927
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Super Rugby 2017

Post by againstthehead » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 am

Some cracking tries this weekend - nice one from Kieran Reid for the Crusaders - lost count of the number of off-loads in the build up.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'

Post Reply