No more competitive mini rugby?

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

chunky
Novice

Re: No more competitive mini rugby?

Post by chunky »

let's be honest, the kids are going to keep score anyway, so the losing being demoralising thing isn't really taken out at all. Ridiculous idea from the IRFU, can't see it lasting.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Don't run Tournaments.
Don't play other Clubs.
Seek to provide enjoyment for the kids.
Seek to develop skills.
In opposed play, develop the idea of competition as 'one on one' - "I can get past you" - "You can't get past me".
Swop players from one 'side' to the other and avoid any 'team' ethos at this stage.
Ask parents to refrain from asking - "Did you win?" - until the kids are teenagers.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Kids are naturally competitive, what a load of rubbish.
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Of course they are naturally competitive. I completely agree. But I don't dismiss the IRFU view as total rubbish. There is some merit to it in my opinion. A match is always going to be a match and someone will win and someone will lose. Where the IRFU are keen to make the change is principally with end of year tournaments where "some" coaches and "some" clubs seem to think that winning a tin pot defines them or their team.

IRFU "edict"

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I think we are both coming at this from the same angle, where the IRFU imo have got it wrong is that this "edict", I call it such as no form of consultation or involvement at the grass roots level has taken place, the likes of you(? I presume) or I or our clubs have not been asked/consulted etc for input. It does not affect/alter what you and I see as the problem, which is the attitude or performance of the minority of coaches (although deep down we are all competitive). It has instead imo taken the easy route and gone for the kids.

Of more use imo would have been time spent working on how we can have competion but in an environment where it is healthy and helps enrich the experience. As I have promoted elsewhere, that route imo is through the coach and structures we put in place for them, which is where I think we both agree.
:salut:
P.S Re the IM Q&A period - Geech did answer the question as just that (i.e. he didnt know of the IRFU policy, however did he not say that in his opinion competition was natural and he didnt have a problem with it? In his book he isn't keen on mini rugby rather a range of sports, but he sets it all in the context of a league structure (a competition) indeed he was hoping to implement this during his tenure with the SRFU (see IM book chp14 p222).
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
CIYMSFOMR
Novice

Post by CIYMSFOMR »

A debate has started on our forum at CI Minis about this very subject, which has gathered support from several other clubs in the same position.
Specifically how it is impacting on the U12 age group.
With seriously reduced numbers due to the Branch's intransigence on playing up from the age group below, we run the risk of not being able to put out an U12's team.
And thus risk losing these kids from rugby to other sports, potentially for ever.
From looking at our playing database, unless some sort of action is taken, this pattern will be replicated EVERY season.
See here for views and please feel free to add comments
http://www.ciymsminis.com/apps/forums/
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Point of information?
Can a child with a '98 birthday who is at a Grammar school not continue to play club mini rugby?
If that is the case my U11 team will be decimated next season when they go to U12
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Snipe Watson wrote:Point of information?
Can a child with a '98 birthday who is at a Grammar school not continue to play club mini rugby?
If that is the case my U11 team will be decimated next season when they go to U12
If the kid is at a Grammar school then they will be most likely be playing rugby at their school on saturday mornings, so I would say 'Yes' your team will be decimated next year. I think it happens most years in most clubs when boys move from u11 to u12.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Snipe Watson wrote:Point of information?
As I'm sure you remember from your Roman history snipe, To be decimated involved losing one out ov every 10 - you'll survive that. :wink:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I thought someone would pull me on that....you were well up on the list of suspects.

T.E B. Benson would be proud of you.
Bopeep
Novice

Post by Bopeep »

Was at the Cooke Mini rugby festival on Saturday, the parents are still shouting from the sidelines heard some parents say (were the teams were so young it was only touch rugby)

First Parent ( after a boy had been shoved to the ground) I thought this was touch rugby

Second Parent Yes, but it does not state how hard you touch.