Schools Cup 2010

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Schools Cup 2010

Post by cables »

From Methody website
The Blackrock College Investec Schools Senior Rugby Festival took place on Saturday 24th/ Sunday 25th October 2009. 20 teams from Ireland and Great Britain competed over 2 days for the Jules Leman Trophy.

In the Group Stages on Saturday 24th October, MCB 1st XV played:

Ivy Bridge, England Result: MCB Won 5-3
Presentation College, Cork Result: MCB Won 15-0
St Mary’s Dublin Result: MCB Won 10-0
Clongowes Wood Dublin Result: MCB Lost 5-3

MCB were pool winners with Clongowes Wood in second place. Both schools went through to the final stage of the competition on Sunday 25th October 2009.

In the Final Stage on Sunday 25th October 2009, MCB played:

Sedbergh, England Result: MCB won 7-0
St Michaels, Dublin Result: MCB won 5-3
Blackrock College, Dublin Result: MCB won 7-3

In the final, MCB played the winners of the other pool, Clongowes Wood. MCB won 3-0 and are proud winners of the Jules Leman trophy.

We are grateful to Blackrock College for the invitation to take part in their 150th Anniversary Celebrations and we congratulate them on their hard work and endeavour which made the tournament such an outstanding success.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Fantastic consistency from a great rugby school....MCB for the 2010 Schools Cup!! :cheers:
semi mental
Squire

Post by semi mental »

AndyB wrote:
semi mental wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote: The sight of Davy Wells still running about like a madman with the youngsters does the heart good and I guess thats where the winning ethos starts...
i'm not sure whether the blame lies with aul davy or the whole methody set up, but they have a lot to answer for imho. far too many quality players have left mcb with no desire to take their rugby further, as the joy of the game has been sucked out of them, after several years of training and being treated like professionals. mcb are an unbelievably successful side, but at what cost? it is no coincidence that they produce very few players who go on to the top levels of the game, compared to the likes of armagh or ballymena.
Are you seriously trying to say that MCB train more and take rugby more seriously than do Inst or Campbell. Wise up!
Never once stated or implied Andy. Merely highlighting methody as a shining example of the drawbacks of going OTT with players when it should be about instilling the joy of the game.
'finger puppet' is only ok as a noun.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

semi mental wrote:
Never once stated or implied Andy. Merely highlighting methody as a shining example of the drawbacks of going OTT with players when it should be about instilling the joy of the game.
That's fine Semi.

But I do get fed up with MCB always being used as the only example of this. My neighbour's daughter started pre season in mid august for her school hockey team and she's only 15!
Bruce
Novice

Post by Bruce »

It's the same year in and year out with people queing up to have a go at MCB. As usual they're red hot favourites and deservedly so,they're a very talented side,but there's quite a few banana skins waiting for them. Depending on the draw they're far from certain to brush aside the likes of RSA,Regent,Wallace,BRA or Ballymena with CCB also sure to improve.

MCB are the schools rugby equivalents of Man Utd except for the locally based support. In short it's unfair to hate them just fror being successful but equally unfair and disrespectful to assume they can't be beaten.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

that's not the issue that's raised here though. yes, school's rugby a bit of a tribal thing - there's your team blah blah, plus everyone hates inst and methody cos they win the bloody thing every year.

but the issue being raised above is the lack of players going on to play rugby as a career from these schools, particularly MCB. are they getting over-coached to the point that by the end of 6th form they've simply had enough of the game? eg compare to blackrock for instance - why are they churning out more players who go on to leinster and irish level than methody, who could arguably be put on at least a par with blackrock
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Bruce wrote:It's the same year in and year out with people queing up to have a go at MCB. As usual they're red hot favourites and deservedly so,they're a very talented side,but there's quite a few banana skins waiting for them. Depending on the draw they're far from certain to brush aside the likes of RSA,Regent,Wallace,BRA or Ballymena with CCB also sure to improve.

MCB are the schools rugby equivalents of Man Utd except for the locally based support. In short it's unfair to hate them just fror being successful but equally unfair and disrespectful to assume they can't be beaten.
Good post Bruce. I would never assume that MCB can't be beaten. In my last year school (when I was on the MCB 2nd XV) I remember only too well that year's schools cup campaign ending in the first round.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

AndyB wrote:
semi mental wrote:
That's fine Semi.

But I do get fed up with MCB always being used as the only example of this. My neighbour's daughter started pre season in mid august for her school hockey team and she's only 15!
Can't really compare hockey though as the main competitions in it start earlier than the rugby ones and unless they start early then they get wiped out by those who do, quite a few school hockey players though line out for a club anyway so training is going at that stage anyway, not uncommon for 15 year olds and younger to play senior hockey, I know Armagh have had 7 girls with senior International caps while still at school.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Cookstown High Schools boys captain had 8 Irish hockey caps when was captaining the school side, the team also had 4/5 Ulster players
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Slightly off topic but I have to give schools rugby reffing a wee mention after what I witnessed this afternoon at Osborne between the under 14 MCB and RBAI teams. The home referee had a complete shocker, he awarded a try to the home side after consultation with a fellow member of staff when their young player CLEARLY took the ball out into touch before coming back inside to touch down. In isolation this was a disgrace but the 10 or so penalties he gave the home side prior to this stage compounded what was the worst case of home reffing I,and many others, have ever witnessed.
MCB blew INST away in the scrum and ruck but unfortunately the ref was seeing something ENTIRELY different as nearly every ruck resulted in an INST penalty....which was outrageous as INST went untouched for the entire game despite being continiously offside and committing numerous clear cut infringements at the break-down. At the end of the game I vented my frustration,uncharacteristically I might add, at the referee before being told to 'wise up, by a laughing INST parent who exclaimed 'its only a game'. I agreed it was 'only a game 'and shook his hand but I drew his attention to the MCB lads who had outfought INST in every department only to walk away with an 8 v 5 defeat thanks TOTALLY to a disgraceful display from the referee.
I make no apologies for my mini rant because that referee couldnt get off the pitch quick enough whilst I had to take a very disillusioned son home and try to explain to him that the defeat was not his or his team mates fault....maybe a neutral ref should be a consideration in future? :evil:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

maybe a neutral ref should be a consideration in future?
Really? Don't think it will happen anytime ......... well soon anyway.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Further to the above, I accept that some refs have vested interests in seeing their home team being given every edge possible and I have witnessed this on rugby pitches both North and South and I have also witnessed many howlers at Pirrie Park as well. What happened today went well beyond a bit of home reffing and it saddens me that the gentleman concerned can walk away without being taken to task. I have watched my sons team from first year to present day and the games with RBAI have always been keenly contested,close fought and good natured,indeed I know most of the lads on both sides are friends away from the game.Last years FORM 2 Methody tournament was won by INST who beat MCB in extra time in the semi final but it was reffed really well and nobody could have any complaints but today soured it for a number of young lads on the MCB side. I feel annoyed at myself for getting so worked up as it wont change anything but a litle bit of impartiality would have gone a long way today. After the phantom try that never was was awarded the MCB lads protested and the ref sent one off and awaraded a penalty from the restart before several further penalties were awarded in quick succession for a series of mystery infringements. The lack of discipline on behalf of the MCB lads resulting in the sending off was a valuable lesson but I hope the ref feels proud of himself for creating the situation in the first place. :evil:
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Cables,it should be a serious consideration mate but I guess the logistics are the problem? The only postive out of today was the fact that my sons team are now stronger than ever and are ..shall we say..very focused for the rest of the season!When it comes to the games that count ...medallion and schools cup...things may have a much different outcome. :D
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Usuall I have found the Under 14 ref at Inst very good. You will never get neutral refs at that age level and it is something you have got to live with, MCB is usually one of the worst places to go for biased reffing.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

I've been watching schools rugby for the last 6 years now and the standard of reffing is variable to say the least. Some have been very good, others bad and sadly others have been downright biased.

I've seen all 3 varieties at most schools and wouldn't single any of them out (except maybe Wallace in the biased category).

For me, especially at the younger age groups, the best refs are the ones who try to let the game flow and get the boys to enjoy the games.