Schools Cup 2010

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Re: Schools Cup 2010

Post by Beattiespastie »

Anybody know the Medallion results from yesterday?
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Beattiespastie wrote:Anybody know the Medallion results from yesterday?
Inst beat Regent 18 - 0
Campbell & Methody won.
Not sure of other match
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Saw the 2nd half of the Friends Ballymena game and when Ballymena took the lead I thought they would kick on and win it convincingly but Friends dug in and scored a cracker to take the lead. They lost it through inexperience at the end, they had possession and should have kept but they kicked it away and gave Ballymena a chance. All it took was one missed tackle and that's what happened. Heartbreaking for all Friends players and spectators.
Last edited by AndyB on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Beattiespastie wrote:Anybody know the Medallion results from yesterday?
Wallace beat Rainey
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Well done to Ballymena for a thoroughly deserved victory over the MCB lads....I am a Methody man through and through but the lads didnt turn up at Ravenhill on Thursday. The error count was the killer from the word go and the Ballymena number 10 was outstanding in his kicking all over the park. MCB didnt come out of the stalls at all and they looked strangely muted and nervous and that became all too apparent when the whistle went with Ballymena attacking with great intent putting he MCB lads on the back foot from which they never recovered. A 15 minute spell in the second half was all MCB had to offer and on the back of yet another error at the death Ballymena got their deserved winner.
I cannot help thinking that the team missed the balance of Colin Martin in the coaching set up to counter the style of Nicky Wells . Methody played a few players cisedn posistions unfamiliar to them and it showed and I wonder what the players thought of being criticised in the Belfast Telegraph by their coach instead of on the training paitch or dressing room at Pirrie Park?
I will still go to Ravenhill and enjoy a facinating game on St Paddys day and may the best side win!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Anyone know the result of the Portora-Campbell subsidiary shield semi from yesterday?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

pwrmoore wrote:Anyone know the result of the Portora-Campbell subsidiary shield semi from yesterday?
Paul

Campbell won (not sure of score) so it's CCB & RSA in the subsidiary shield final.

Colin :salut:
Antrim Hills
Novice

Post by Antrim Hills »

Beattiespastie wrote:Well done to Ballymena for a thoroughly deserved victory over the MCB lads....I am a Methody man through and through but the lads didnt turn up at Ravenhill on Thursday. The error count was the killer from the word go and the Ballymena number 10 was outstanding in his kicking all over the park. MCB didnt come out of the stalls at all and they looked strangely muted and nervous and that became all too apparent when the whistle went with Ballymena attacking with great intent putting he MCB lads on the back foot from which they never recovered. A 15 minute spell in the second half was all MCB had to offer and on the back of yet another error at the death Ballymena got their deserved winner.
I cannot help thinking that the team missed the balance of Colin Martin in the coaching set up to counter the style of Nicky Wells . Methody played a few players cisedn posistions unfamiliar to them and it showed and I wonder what the players thought of being criticised in the Belfast Telegraph by their coach instead of on the training paitch or dressing room at Pirrie Park?
I will still go to Ravenhill and enjoy a facinating game on St Paddys day and may the best side win!
Nice to see a set-back (or was it somethhing more apocalyptic ?!!) being taken with good grace and sportsmanship.
Not a Methody man myself, but circumstances led me to watching 4 years' worth of the Michael Allen/Niall Annett side come through to Medallion level, which also showed me Colin Martin's influence, so I'd agree with your comment on that, Pastie-man.

Nicky Wells is still learning to deal with life as MCB's coach - not an easy task despite the obvious advantages. Last year he made the acquaintance of a a certain Mr Triumph. Last week he got introduced to Mr Disaster. How he deals with the two of them will dictate his progress in the 'job'. A bit to make up, I suggest, losing was one thing, but the public criticism will not actually make things any better for him.
"Everything has its limit – iron ore cannot be educated into gold." - Mark Twain
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Agree with the above comments. Wells Jnr has a lot to learn about man management. He's not well liked by players at MCB.
Bruce
Novice

Post by Bruce »

Whatever your opinion of the coach the team wasn't good enough,simple as that. My feeling watching some of the MCB players over the past 7 years and more is that they had got a bit above themselves and this defeat will do them no harm.

Anyway,a cracking final to look forward to with both teams on the up and a never say die attitude that has served them well. Good luck to both teams.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

I know what you mean Bruce. Losing a match won't do a few of them any harm.

I agree that coaches don't drop catches and give away silly penalties, however the coach picks and prepares the team and last thursday it looked like he failed on both accounts.
trueblue2006
Novice

Post by trueblue2006 »

As a parent of a former MCB cup winner in the 200's I feel I have to comment on the criticism of Mr N Wells. My son was showing me last night this forum for the first time, the two of us couldnt decide whether to be sad for those of you who feel moved to comment in the most blinkered way, or to laugh at the biased nature of the forum.

My son had the most incredible journey under the tutelage of Mr N Wells and to critise a young coach who in 5 years has won 3 cups and been to two semi finals is quite frankly a sad state of affairs. Most coaches with 30 years more experience than Mr N Wells havent achieved 10% of what has been achieved under his tenure.

My son and I both were of the opinion that had the current side of 2010 won the cup, Mr N Wells would have been a 'genius ' or 'legend' and his squad would have been held in the highest esteem, unfortunatley the result went against MCB, and Mr N Wells is being criticsed in all quarters..

My Wife and I were very aware of the high demands put on our son and his team mates while he was playing, but professionalism and hard work is not a substitute for a softly softly approach.

Lets get behind MCB if we are past pupils or parents, and if you aren' t lets try and be objective. It is very rare that I would ever feel moved to comment on any matters, but when my son showed this to me I felt compelled to defend the honour of my sons former coach, and my school.

Good luck to the two teams in the final, they deserve to be there, due to their fight on the day, but surely this needs to be kept in perspective
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

At the end of the day Ballymena took their dug in and took their chance late on just as they did in the 2 games against Friends - good luck to them.
Last edited by AndyB on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
trueblue2006
Novice

Post by trueblue2006 »

AndyB wrote:In reponse to trueblue all I can say is that from stuff that I hear from my son and other people connected to MCB rugby that it has not been a happy camp this year. Nobody is advocating a softly softly approach but the coach could at least have a word or shake hands or something with players who have been substituted instead of blanking them on the touchline. As well Mr Wells changed the team round notably at 9 and 15 and it plainly didn't work. I am behind the team but just like with Ulster I am entitled to my opinion even if it is a critical one.

At the end of the day Ballymena took their dug in and took their chance late on just as they did in the 2 games against Friends - good luck to them.
Dear Andy B, hearsay is a very dangerous commodity, it lacks objectivity and basis, which of im sure you wouldnt advocate. Im not defending the man (Mr Wells) because I dont know him on a personal level, but nor would I criticise someone unless I was in a day to day coaching role with them.

I read with interest your need for a coach to "have a word or shake hands or something with players who have been substituted instead of blanking them", you may be a coach youself, you may not be, but in the heat of a semi final, a coach should and must have tunnel vision, with regard to the final outcome.
Not once can I remember my son having a handshake or arm put round him when he was substitiued, but then he didnt need that.

With regard to it not being a happy camp, as fathers surely we must agree that children/young men have blinkered and distorted views of adult decisions, be they tactically or pastorally. I apologise if you are a top level schools or club coach and my reasoning with you causes offence; but if you aren't, should you or I be venting critical opinions about a coach and group of boys who we genuinely know nothing about?

As for those in MCB rugby commenting that it is not a happy ship, surely not, surely all coaches are there for the good of the Rugby club and are coaching boys to win their ultimate prize, I think we need to take that comment with a pinch of salt.

Critical views in sport are always welcome, because from their experiences be they good or bad, MCB will grow stronger from it, but to slander a man on the basis of hearsay, well, I find that quite a shame. This man helped my boy learn how to take knocks in life and taught him how to win and lose like a man. Surely thats what we want for our son's more than anything.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

trueblue2006 wrote: surely all coaches are there for the good of the Rugby club and are coaching boys to win their ultimate prize,
There is a a frequently voiced opinion that those two aims are not necessarily complementary, and that when forced to choose the "top three" schools on the winners table tend to focus too much on the latter to t he detriment of the former.

Surely schools rugby is all about being a part of the process of turning out well-rounded young adults able to take their place in the world. On the way the IRFU and UB would hope that it creates a pool of skilled and motivated players who carry on enjoying and playing the game after leaving school and create a thriving Irish/Ulster Rugby community.

If on the way they are able to lift the Schools cup or the Medalion Shield so much the better but the "ultimate prizes" should not necessarily be the exclusive goal.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: