2011 SCHOOLS CUP

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

weejack48
Novice

Re: 2011 SCHOOLS CUP

Post by weejack48 »

Semi draw

Coleraine Academical Institution v The Royal School, Armagh/Royal Belfast Academical Institution (1st match)
Ballyclare High School v Campbell College/Methodist College Belfast (2nd match)
Instonian
Novice

Post by Instonian »

Armagh vs Rbai game was hard to pick the winner but inst hit the upright with what seemed a pretty basic conversion as the last kick of the game. Armagh started off with two penalties in first 20min with impressive outhalf, slotting with ease RSA 6-0 RBAI. Inst then retained possession for a while in what was a scrappy 1st half, converted a penalty, with Armagh immedately responding with another RSA 9-6 RBAI. Both teams then had time to catch their breathes at halftime with Armagh leading, the 2nd half produced a much more competitive and exciting brand of rugby being played by both sides, with a few line breaks per side. Armagh then worked the blindside cleverly scoring in the corner with Armagh extending their lead to 14-6 with 6minutes to go it looked like the "graveyard" would have claimed the scalp of another big Belfast school! With great determination and some fresh legs off the bench inst managed to score 8 points in about 5 minutes! With a greatly struck penalty from wide out and after a good break by inst winger an attempted kick onward was charged by a Armagh player resulting in an Inst lineout on the 22. After several phases of picking and going Inst snuck over to level the scores. All eyes where then on Inst kicker who sadly hit the woodwork to send the match to a Replay on Wednesday 3pm C'MON INST! (thanks to armagh supporters who were in charge of the sausage and bacon butties, went down a treat.)
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I was at the Campbell game and I would have to slightly disagree with an earlier post stating that Campbell were the better side. Methody took the game to them first half and Campbell were all over the place and their error count was high. The Campbell fullback was an outstanding player and got them back into the game second half. The MCB scrum and lineout was by far the best but they failed to capitalise in the second half and Campbell came back with two good tries to get a deserved draw.
I would say Nicky Wells and the lads will be more than happy to take the Campbell lads back to Pirrie Park,if they can take care of the Campbell fullback the game is theirs....
Great performance by young 5th year prop Ross Kane for MCB...well done!
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Romeo47 Alpha 52
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Beattiespastie wrote:I was at the Campbell game and I would have to slightly disagree with an earlier post stating that Campbell were the better side. Methody took the game to them first half and Campbell were all over the place and their error count was high. The Campbell fullback was an outstanding player and got them back into the game second half. The MCB scrum and lineout was by far the best but they failed to capitalise in the second half and Campbell came back with two good tries to get a deserved draw.
I would say Nicky Wells and the lads will be more than happy to take the Campbell lads back to Pirrie Park,if they can take care of the Campbell fullback the game is theirs....
You really can't help yourself :cyclops: can you?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Any stand out players this year?
Glengrimley
Novice

Post by Glengrimley »

I watched the BRA v Coleraine match this morning and whilst I am disappointed with the result all credit is due to the Coleraine defence, it was immense!
BRA had the majority of possession and territory but could not convert that into points. They really missed their two most influencial players. The No.8 due to an appendix operation 10 days ago and No.10 who suffered an ankle injury last week at training.

All the best to Coleraine for the semi, although I'm disappointed it is great to see an "unseeded" team who the Telegraph wrote off getting through to the later stages. Have a great day out at Ravenhill!
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

Glengrimley wrote:I watched the BRA v Coleraine match this morning and whilst I am disappointed with the result all credit is due to the Coleraine defence, it was immense!
BRA had the majority of possession and territory but could not convert that into points. They really missed their two most influencial players. The No.8 due to an appendix operation 10 days ago and No.10 who suffered an ankle injury last week at training.

All the best to Coleraine for the semi, although I'm disappointed it is great to see an "unseeded" team who the Telegraph wrote off getting through to the later stages. Have a great day out at Ravenhill!
exciting but not a great quality game. BRA support was very vocal. Wouldn't see either team going all the way tbh.
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rainey Endowed 12 Banbridge Academy 3 - schools bowl semi
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Glengrimley wrote:
I watched the BRA v Coleraine match this morning and whilst I am disappointed with the result all credit is due to the Coleraine defence, it was immense!

exciting but not a great quality game. BRA support was very vocal. Wouldn't see either team going all the way tbh.
Nonsense! Coleraine for the cup! :D :salut:
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

Subsidiary Shield

Belfast HS 10-45 Ballymena Academy
Down HS 9-10 Wallace HS
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Beattiespastie wrote:I was at the Campbell game and I would have to slightly disagree with an earlier post stating that Campbell were the better side. Methody took the game to them first half and Campbell were all over the place and their error count was high. The Campbell fullback was an outstanding player and got them back into the game second half. The MCB scrum and lineout was by far the best but they failed to capitalise in the second half and Campbell came back with two good tries to get a deserved draw.
One of the most one sided match reports ever - but for some white line fever by the campbell forwards at the end (when there was 4 on 1 outwide we'd be talking about the ballyclare - campbell semi - if only there were smilies with rose tinted spectacles
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

LOL....Campbell certainly had the better second half and derserved to draw the game but when you have 4 on 1 on the outide you need to put them away and I would argue MCBs defence on the line was superb...granted I am a Methody man and my specs would be a tad rose tinted but there was not much in it and I certainly think Methody have the pace and guile to take Campbell at Pirrie IF...and only if...they can deal with Campbells full back who was man of the match, should be a great game!
FRB
Initiate

Post by FRB »

When is the Campbell/MCB replay? Might go on a scouting mission for the mighty Ballyclare......
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Campbell certainly had the better of the 2nd half and I was surprised that the kicker missed the 2nd conversion but with less than 5 mins left I think nerves got the better of him.

What I would like to say is that for a side that has been heavily touted as cup winners from the start of the season I was a wee bit disappointed in Campbell. They had 3 big powerful runners at centre and fullback but didn't seem to have a lot of guile, it was all a bit bish bash bosh.