2011 SCHOOLS CUP

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

FRB
Initiate

Re: 2011 SCHOOLS CUP

Post by FRB »

A thoroughly deserved win for Campbell. I am a former pupil at Ballyclare but other than Campbell's second try - which, through a combination of wicked bounce and a hint of a knock on in the act of scoring? there was nothing lucky about that win. Ballyclare had their share of posession but lacked inventiveness in the backs and, crucially with the score at 14 - 5 failed to make the most of a 5m scrum. Once BHS went 19-5 down they made a lot of mistakes and CCB didn't have to work hard for their points IMHO. In the 2nd half CCB were clinical and efficient and scored some good tries.

Some of the Campbell backs were excellent, 13 & 15 in particular. It will be interestng to see how they get on if their backs are denied space and are knocked back in the tackle on 17th March.

Anyway, congratualtions to CCB on a fine, well deserved win.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Good game. Well worth taking a half day off work.

£8 admission and not a burger in sight.

Roll on St Patricks day.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

And I hope Campbell win.
Satans little helper
Novice

Post by Satans little helper »

by HwoodMike2umate » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 am

Good game. Well worth taking a half day off work.

£8 admission and not a burger in sight.

Roll on St Patricks day.
Soooooo would a small wager be in order ? Perhaps the price of a pint and a bap on the outcome ?????
I may not be able to make it home for the final so if you're up for it Mike I'll have a tenner on Inst to win.
My mild mannered buddy would I'm sure be pleased to collect the folding green drinks vouchers from you after the game :D
Flying the flag in Munster !
Now flying the flag in Basingstoke !!
Possibly flying the flag in Azerbaijan soon !!!
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

I DIDNT GET WHERE I AM TODAY BY GAMBLING WITH INST stars

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:I DIDNT GET WHERE I AM TODAY BY GAMBLING WITH INST stars
No but you could finish up on bench warming duties for evadeing word censor :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Satans little helper
Novice

Post by Satans little helper »

by HwoodMike2umate » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:58 am

I DIDNT GET WHERE I AM TODAY BY GAMBLING WITH INST stars
So I'll take that as a no ?? Meowwwwwwww Meowwwwwwwwww - the noise of a pussy :lol:

Playwright and Nobel Laureate Samuel Beckett taught at the school from January to July 1928 but found the experience uncongenial. The story goes that his decision to leave prematurely was questioned by the then Headmaster who pointed out that he was giving up the opportunity to teach the cream of Ulster, Beckett replied, of Campbell's students, "Yes. Rich and thick." No further comment required :salut:
Flying the flag in Munster !
Now flying the flag in Basingstoke !!
Possibly flying the flag in Azerbaijan soon !!!
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Hard to beat an old Portoran for a witty one-liner
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Ball Boy
Initiate

Post by Ball Boy »

Thanks to Ballyclare High School for arranging to take kids from local primary schools along yesterday. Our wain had a brilliant time despite the result - much better than being dragged along by the da to watch Ulster apparently.
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Any possibility that the match might turn into a brawl, be abandoned by the ref after sending everyone off and the trophy not be awarded this year? :stir:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Exactly 100 years ago, the Trophy was not awarded - the competition in 1911 is recorded as 'unfinished'.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

That was over a huge disagreement over venues for matches. The right to host the game was more a 'gentleman's agreement' in those days - the draw did not decide the home team. In that particular instance the argument started over the CAI v MCB tie - if I remember correctly MCB had not played at home in the cup for about 5 years and thought they deserved a home tie. Things then escalated with virtually all the entrants falling out - CCB and Portora had a similar barny. The local press was full of 'warring' letters for weeks and before it could be resolved the time available to play the competition had gone. In the end only a couple of ties were actually played that year.

A similar problem befell the Towns Cup in 1900 & 01, with Dungannon & City of Derry the clubs at war.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Cables - can you check my maths please - i think Campbell (winning 22 out of 38 finals) giving a success rate of 57% are better
than Inst (winning a mere 29 out of 52) who sit at a 55% success rate.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Cables - can you check my maths please - i think Campbell (winning 22 out of 38 finals) giving a success rate of 57% are better
than Inst (winning a mere 29 out of 52) who sit at a 55% success rate.
and by extension any School that has only made the final once and won the SC at that attempt has a 100% record and is therefore far superior???

Mike I do believe you are trying to use statistical analysis to present a better picture of your former school's performance than it merits. It will end in tears. Your logic could easily take you from being third best in terms of absolute wins to fourth best behind Ballyclare, Belfast Boys Model and Grosvenor. Is that what you intended? :stir:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Once again, I have started so I will finish!

Seems to me that your underlying objective was achieved at the moment you pressed the submit button. Your calculations are correct when rounded down.

May I suggest however that you should be WARY of using this 'success' rate to compare teams as Ballyclare High School, Grosvenor High School and Model Boys all have a 100% success rate.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum