2011 SCHOOLS CUP

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

AndyB
Warrior Chief

Re: 2011 SCHOOLS CUP

Post by AndyB »

weejack48 wrote:Congratulations to MCB on winning both the U13 (at MCB) and U14 (at RBAI) tournaments.

Trivia time for the MCB lovers out there - I stand to be corrected on this - is this the first time ever that MCB Meds have been consigned to one of the Medallion subsidiary competitions? (I know that their 1st XV has only ever been in the Subsidiary Shield twice in the 41 years it has been going (1980 and 2004) - the 1980 side in particular was brutally awful - I never saw a worse MCB side although the 1985 side runs it close)

I would love to see a SUS v Limavady GS Medallion final for changes sake, but I have a sinking feeling that we will end up with a repeat of the Senior final.
As one of the class of 80 at MCB (though not on the 1stXV) , thanks for reminding me - a bad loss to CAI in the 1st round followed by a shocker in the Subsidiary Shield to an opponent I have forgotten. Not a great end to the season although we did have an excellent tour to France that Easter.
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

AndyB - 1980 - Lost to Banbridge Academy after beating Grosvenor HS in R1 - sad I can remember these useless pieces of tat (need to get a life)
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Lost to Banbridge Academy - the darkest day in the history of MCB rugby - I was there.
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

Jockster wrote:Quicky query for the Dads out there with Rugby playing sons.

I'd heard that a medallion side was training four times a week along with pre-schools weight sessions!! I was at Wallace with McGlocks years ago and even he didn't have us doing that. Schools now appear to have ex-internationals and professional coaches as well!!

Also is it true that some schools "encourage" good rugby players to their schools? What effect will this have on rugby in other schools if talent is being creamed off.
CCB medallion train twice a week and usually a match on Sat.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

rugbymad wrote:
Jockster wrote:Quicky query for the Dads out there with Rugby playing sons.

I'd heard that a medallion side was training four times a week along with pre-schools weight sessions!! I was at Wallace with McGlocks years ago and even he didn't have us doing that. Schools now appear to have ex-internationals and professional coaches as well!!

Also is it true that some schools "encourage" good rugby players to their schools? What effect will this have on rugby in other schools if talent is being creamed off.
CCB medallion train twice a week and usually a match on Sat.
And how many gym and conditioning sessions?
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

Anything more was up to the boys. Its not MCB.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

As the father of a son in MCB MEDS I can confirm they do not do any weight training sessions with the school whatsoever and they have NEVER availed of Jordanstowns facilities etc. The boys train twice a week for 2 hrs and play/train on a Saturday and thats it. I do not know the history of MCB in the Medallion Shield well enough to comment on how may times they have competed for the Plate but I can assure you that the nucleus of the team that turns out tomorrow at Bangor grammar in the Plate semi final will be in the reckoning at some point for a birth in a schools cup final team. Anybody that watched the 4th round game with Sullivan at Pirrie will know that this MCB Medallion team have plenty to offer in the future.
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

Medallion - Sullivan 8-0 CCB
Limavady GS 15-10 RBAI

FINAL - Limavady GS v Sullivan

Great to see different schools in the final for a change!

Med Plate - MCB beat Bangor GS

Subsidiary Shield - Bangor GS beat Wallace HS
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Limavady Grammar 15 v 10 RBAI......dark horses for the Shield??...they are a big,fast well drilled outfit so who knows?? Just back from the MCB V Bangor game and I would like to pay compliment to an excellent Bangor outfit who produced a fine display in what was a tight game in poor conditions on a very heavy pitch..good luck in senior rugby lads! I am delighted for the MCB lads who can take some heart from getting to the Plate final at the end of Medallion year...they worked hard and were so unlucky in the 4th round of the Shield.With our second and third year teams winning their respective tournaments on Thursday the futures looking bright at Pirrie Park!
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Well done to the Sullivan lads as they are a good,honest young team and they have worked very hard in the past two seasons to produce solid,consistent displays against all the big teams. The final will be a great game as I have watched both sides and Limavady are an excellent outfit.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Any word on the CAI V Ballymena MED PLATE SEMI?
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

CAI v Ballymena is listed in seasonmaster as being played on 17th March. (Ballymena only played Carrick in their QF tie a couple of days ago)

What was the actual score in the MCB game?
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

13 V 9 two tries to three penalties...good game on a shocking pitch that was a bit error laden but credit to both sets of lads who gave it everything.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

cjp wrote:.... some though ensure that the pupils are their on academic achievements rather than their sporting ones.
Anyone else find this mildly amusing? :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

predictions here

Campbell 21
Inst stars 18

also predict we'll be in Errigle Inn from 1pm - assuming OC scarfs permitted
http://www.cryptome.org/