Squire

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Beattiespastie »

Classy.....
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

This is the first time I have watched either side this year Coleraine and Sullivan so I may be some what harsh .

The conditions were bad-- wet ground wet ball and gusty cold breeze .

Coleraine looked the younger side rather light weight mostly 6th form rather than upper 6th and had no answer to Sullivan in the Line Out who looked well drilled and instructed as to how to play in the conditions. Being lighter Coleraine frequently failed to make the first tackle count and going backwards most of the time and knowing MCB of old would have found the final difficult.

Sullivan may have a pack to match MCB and have a sound out half and a promising winger between Out Half and wing is really an unknown quantity because of the conditions.

the best try was scored by Coleraine who had the best centre on the pitch.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Sullivan are not short on self belief but they know that Methody went to Hollywood in the first friendly of the season and beat them 40 v 0... Both teams were without their representative players. The second game was a good win for Methody again despite much talk of going to Pirrie and beating Methody on their home soil. Methody have not played well in the quarter final and semi final but they have made to another Schools Cup final and they will truely relish Sullivan on the day. Bring it on St Paddys day!!!
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I believe two players got sent off near the end as a result of a tip tackle? I would assume a red card carries a mandatory one match ban? I have no doubt pressure from certain quarters will see the red card removed and the offending player cleared for the final. I hope Sullivan are at full strength for the final.;-)
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I remember in my day even a yellow got you a bollocking from the principal and sitting out a game or 2
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

It seems to me that banning one a player from the final too harsh
The biggest game in any schoolboys rugby career
Whilst the other lad sent off effectively gets off Scott free
However BOTH should be sanctioned in some way
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

In all fairness I did not attend the game today and on reading frontrowunions twitter feed comments there may be a case that the tackle was not a tip tackle . Regardless of the red card decision I would like to think there was no malice in the tackle but rather a case of the young lad giving it 100% and making an error of judgement. No youngster should miss a schools cup final but the Ulster Branch needs to sort this issue out. Everybody wants to see both sides at full strength and I hope that's the case. As I said in previous posts I believe Methody will have too much experience to let go of their title.
Moiraman
Novice

Post by Moiraman »

Should be a cracking final. Sullivan have had a great cup run winning convincingly while MCB have somewhat scraped through last 2 matches but they will probably step up a gear for the final. I would favour MCB to win a close fought match.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Schools Cup 2014

Post by kingofthehill »

Bangors,It was a definite red card offence .

No sanction for a red card is a joke regardless of what game is coming up.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Methody have come through three very tough games against three very good sides in Limavady, RBAI and Wallace. Every game was a tough contest and fortune played its part but Methody toughed it out and never gave up. Experience will play a massive role in the final and Methody have cup winning experience all over the squad from players who have won two schools cup titles to younger players who have won a Medallion Shield. Sullivan have not played the same level of opponent in their cup run until Coleraine who in turn gave a great account of themselves putting 14 points on Sullivan. I in no way mean any disrespect to Down or Bangor but RBAI and Wallace have been top sides this year and Limavady were outstanding.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Schools Cup 2014

Post by kingofthehill »

Beattiespastie wrote:Methody have come through three very tough games against three very good sides in Limavady, RBAI and Wallace. Every game was a tough contest and fortune played its part but Methody toughed it out and never gave up. Experience will play a massive role in the final and Methody have cup winning experience all over the squad from players who have won two schools cup titles to younger players who have won a Medallion Shield. Sullivan have not played the same level of opponent in their cup run until Coleraine who in turn gave a great account of themselves putting 14 points on Sullivan. I in no way mean any disrespect to Down or Bangor but RBAI and Wallace have been top sides this year and Limavady were outstanding.
Very true.

Sullivan's fixture list for the year will be their undoing. How did they fair against MCB and RBAI this year?

Beattie check your DMs.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

King....please my previous post this thread. MCB beat Sullivan 40 v 0 in Hollywood then beat tgem by a few scores at Pirrie. I don't know the RBAI score but I can comment on both the Sullivan games as I was in attendance. The game at Hollywood included Methodys current sub front row ( 2nd XV squad) and they dominated Sullivan completely and the 40 v 0 scoreline down in Hollywood could have been a lot more to be fair. The second game with both sides fielding their representative players saw Methody take a 20 + lead at half time and this should been much more and Sullivan should been a man down for taking Alex Thompson out in the air ....the decision not to penalise Sullivan mystified and frustrated everybody. It was a cynical foul and no doubt calculated . The second half Methody fell asleep and let two scores in but finished the game strong by scoring again.
Cup games are different but at full tilt I cannot see past Methody taking their third title in a row but they need to up their game out wide .
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Check your DMs or Private messages.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Go rock the Boat SUS & make history!!
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

MCB will win their third Schools Cup title in a row and they haven't talked themselves up or made any wild claims......they work hard and they will let their experience and ability do all the talking on ST Patricks day at Ravenhill. No arrogant boasts or silly nicknames or PR....rugby will do the talking.