Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by breakdown »

Ah right get it now, cheers
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
will+i+am
Novice

Post by will+i+am »

Absolutely player welfare. Its not a matter of giving other schools a chance to beat MCB - its about giving them an even keel. Competition is healthy, but not if its always entirely one sided.
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
will+i+am wrote:...... It becomes an expectation at MCB to win now and perhaps a shake up is needed at Branch level. Not many other schools can commit staff members or pupils to such a training regime of before and after school, 5 days a week. Perhaps there needs to be a shake up or a maximum number of training hours per team ......

..... Really think UB need to give guidance on what is and isn't acceptable in terms of hours of training, minimum age for weights and this may give all schools an even keel.
I'm sure there are others better qualified than me to comment on this, and I'm sure there are guidelines in place, but if your comments are to do with player welfare, then fine.

If however, as your final comment suggests, this is just about giving other schools a better chance to beat Methody, then you're way out of line ...... imo.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

anyone know any details for the semi.
Venue i hear is queens but what price is it in and what time is the game at.
ormondlad
Novice

Post by ormondlad »

breakdown wrote:Just a question: Had a look on the Ulster website at the schools squad page, and Jack Owens among others werent listed, despite still playing for their schools, yet Owens is playing for the Ireland 18 schools or 19s, is this an error on UR's part, or am I missing something?
Owens as dublane said was part of Ulster 20s and is involved with Irish 19s.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

will+i+am wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
will+i+am wrote:...... It becomes an expectation at MCB to win now and perhaps a shake up is needed at Branch level. Not many other schools can commit staff members or pupils to such a training regime of before and after school, 5 days a week. Perhaps there needs to be a shake up or a maximum number of training hours per team ......

..... Really think UB need to give guidance on what is and isn't acceptable in terms of hours of training, minimum age for weights and this may give all schools an even keel.
I'm sure there are others better qualified than me to comment on this, and I'm sure there are guidelines in place, but if your comments are to do with player welfare, then fine.

If however, as your final comment suggests, this is just about giving other schools a better chance to beat Methody, then you're way out of line ...... imo.
Absolutely player welfare. Its not a matter of giving other schools a chance to beat MCB - its about giving them an even keel. Competition is healthy, but not if its always entirely one sided.
So despite you player welfare comment, it IS about giving other schools a chance to beat Methody! :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

cheese wrote:anyone know any details for the semi.
Venue i hear is queens but what price is it in and what time is the game at.
WHS v MCB, will be played at Queen’s University Sports Pitches in Belfast on Tuesday 4th March, 2014 kicking off at 14.30. The IRFU (Ulster Branch) has advised spectators to get to the venue early, up to an hour before kick off.
WHS was charging their pupils a fiver.

Edit: that would include the bus.
Last edited by BR on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Fiver adults.... Two quid for kids. I am advised adults can pay at the ground:-)
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

What of the Sullivan. /Coleraine game where when must get to old tie out (50 year ) old model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Moiraman
Novice

Post by Moiraman »

MCB 17-12 WHS. Very big crowd at a real cliffhanger. Methody win with late try from driving maul against 7 man pack as Wallace had a forward yellow carded. Wallace scored best two tries of the contest and had more territory/possession but Methody were better at taking chances which came their way. Wallace guys looked shattered at the end.
ADM
Initiate

Post by ADM »

Wallace bottled it. They had the majority of possession and chances but just could not turn dominance into points, not to mention that their kicker missed two relatively straightforward kicks that would have given them the draw. Jacob Stockdale (Ulster Schools) looked very good as did openside flanker Ben Pentland.

Based on today's performance I would not have Methody as potential winners, however I would say today was a bit of an off day and they will be better for the final. Josh Bingham was very good with the boot and that turned the tide in their favour while Michael Lagan was brutal both in the scrum and in open play. Scrum seemed to gain the upper hand but the referee appeared to be very laissez-faire at the set piece - another ref may have seen it differently.

As I said, based on today I would see Sullivan as very strong favourites, but Methody will be better for the final.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Not sure you could say Wallace bottled it, Methody's winning try was pretty unavoidable, I thought Wallace were the better team throughout and would have preferred to see them through than MCB. Agree Jacob Stockdale was immense, made four clean breaks in about 20 minutes, their 7 was good as was the 4 and 8. I think their team is quite young with a lot of the players in 5th year or lower sixth, so would expect them to only improve. Lagan was really good for Methody, apart from him, no one really stood out for me in that Methody side, but I would still maintain Sullivan would be huge favourites
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

MCB in another final. At least that chap Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Methody are into their third Schools Cup Final in a row having won the previous two. Granted they have been fortunate to come through against rBAI and Wallace but they NEVER bottle it and NEVER give up and that's why they walked away victorious today. No good dominating possession etc if you cannot cross the try line or slot the ball through the posts under pressure.
Those who have Sullivan as favourites need to remember MCB have beat them two out of two this year and Coleraine have beaten them at Christmas. Sullivan have beaten Bangor and Down on the way to the semi final yet an underperforming Methody have now beaten an excellent Inst and Wallace side to reach their third final in a row. Methody have ridden their luck but have shown tremendous character to reach another final . Wallace were excellent today and their centre pairing were outstanding and it bodes well for the lisburn lads......
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Both centres will be leaving this year I think, certainly the 13 will
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Two excellent players and certainly the axis of their team...their 8 had a great game as well.