ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Schools Cup 2015

Post by Russ »

breakdown wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:
breakdown wrote:The ref was horrendous, one of the worst performances from a ref ive seen at a schools game, until issues like the standard of reffing get sorted out, the likihood is we will still be stuck behind Leinster schools in terms of professionalism, who seem to be streets ahead of us
I was going to ask was one a member of the prestigious MCB alumni but given that verbal skittering I suspect you must still be at the school or possibly in the preparatory department?

Had the good fortune to get down to Ravenhill on Tuesday and today and saw two very enthralling games of rugby. Great commitment and no small dose of skill shown by all four sides, unfortunately somebody has to lose.

In relation to BD's point about Leinster, I suspect that the refereeing standards will have little impact in our ability to catch up with Leinster Schools Rugby.

What might, is our schools' level of conditioning. Having watched highlights of a Leinster schools semi-final the other day it is my opinion both Leinster sides would have physically hammered any four of the Ulster Schools Cup semi-finalists.

There were a couple of 'big lads' on all four sides but equally there were a few normal looking 16/17/18 year olds. The Leinster schools players look like fully formed adults in the main.

For the avoidance of doubt I am not condoning turning them all into gym monkeys but it would explain some of the difference IMO. There were some very talented players on show but they were smaller. If they go into the Academy it'll take them to 20/21 to catch the Leinster chaps IMO.
Of course better reffing will increase professionalism within the ulster schools competition, without putting it all down to that, but it would help narrow the gap
Steve Walsh was free today. Could have got him
Bopeep
Novice

Post by Bopeep »

LegsLikeSausages wrote:
breakdown wrote:The ref was horrendous, one of the worst performances from a ref ive seen at a schools game, until issues like the standard of reffing get sorted out, the likihood is we will still be stuck behind Leinster schools in terms of professionalism, who seem to be streets ahead of us
Who was it?
Stuart Douglas an ex pupil of RBAI I am sure he was not biased
Bopeep
Novice

Post by Bopeep »

Glad to see Wallace in the final. Unfortunately for MCB their blow in player did not have a great game missing kicks and missing the tackle for the 2nd Wallace try. In fairness it us not like him but to be honest think he choked a bit

Think Wallace will win the cup and RBAI the med shield.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

Methody got beat - Oh Dear what pity - never mind!!!!!!!!!
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

As the parent of a kid who has won the sschools cup I know what they go through to get to that stage. The dedication, the sacrifice, the ups and downs and the challenge of keeping up the studies at the same time. Regardless of the school or coaching set up I tip my hat at the massive efforts everybody puts in from the head Coach down to the Dad who stands on the sidelines from first form willing his son on to do well. The Wallace lads came so close last year and could and should have reached the final so to do it this year against the same side must be a great feeling . I feel for the Coleraine Inst lads who put in a great display as history Sat heavy on their shoulders in Tuedays semi but know how the RBAI lads must feel so well done. I feel sorry for Robert Lyttle today and some of the abuse he has received on social media is pathetic at best. It will be a great final between two great young sides and whoever wins will have earned I and I wish them all the best.
Bopeep
Novice

Post by Bopeep »

[quote="Beattiespastie"]As the parent of a kid who has won the sschools cup I know what they go through to get to that stage. The dedication, the sacrifice, the ups and downs and the challenge of keeping up the studies at the same time. Regardless of the school or coaching set up I tip my hat at the massive efforts everybody puts in from the head Coach down to the Dad who stands on the sidelines from first form willing his son on to do well. The Wallace lads came so close last year and could and should have reached the final so to do it this year against the same side must be a great feeling . I feel for the Coleraine Inst lads who put in a great display as history Sat heavy on their shoulders in Tuedays semi but know how the RBAI lads must feel so well done. I feel sorry for Robert Lyttle today and some of the abuse he has received on social media is pathetic at best. It will be a great final between two great young sides and whoever wins will have earned I and I wish them all the best.

Your sentiment is correct and you may feel sorry for Lyttle but I am sure he knew what he was getting into when he moved schools in the last year for rugby. Now to me that seems extreme but everyone to their own I am sure his parents had a big input and I know after he left RBAI his Dad was still down watching RBAI play, in fact Robert and his Dad went to watch RBAI play Wallace now that's some doing. But they will get another chance to watch them on St Pats day.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

It's schools rugby bopeep and it's good that no matter who we support we can enjoy a great day of rugby on St Paddys day. I applaud Robert and his dad for turning out to RBAI games as it shows they value the role the school played in Robert's life.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

The natural order comes to the schools cup with Lisburn taking over - it's the centre of the universe after all!
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I know , I live in the city of Lisburn.:-)
Last edited by Beattiespastie on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

So what's the story of this chap Lyttle? He can't seriously have just decided to bugger off to MCB in his final year of studies just to try and win a Schools Cup or is he 5th year/Lower 6Th?
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

BuckRogers wrote:So what's the story of this chap Lyttle? He can't seriously have just decided to bugger off to MCB in his final year of studies just to try and win a Schools Cup or is he 5th year/Lower 6Th?
It's odd alright, he is very talented though, strong candidate for the academy
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Any players other than Lyttle standing out?

The Wallace 9 was in the Ireland schools squad, how'd he look?
Runwild67
Novice

Post by Runwild67 »

All the chat about Robert Lytlle moving to MCB is a bit sad. Only he and his parents know the reasons for his move which may or may not have been entirely rugby related. He is an outstanding player with a big future and was one of the stand out players on the pitch today. We should applaud talent like this and not try and poke fun or score cheap points at this young mans expense - and before someone says it I am not an MCB supporter, Good luck to Lyttle in what I am sure will be a bright future
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Well said. Let's applaud young talent and not take cheap shots at kids playing schools rugby because. It's highly likely we will be standing in the terraces at Ravenhill celebrating their match winning performance in years to come.
RFCrfcRFC
Novice

Post by RFCrfcRFC »

Runwild67 wrote:All the chat about Robert Lytlle moving to MCB is a bit sad. Only he and his parents know the reasons for his move which may or may not have been entirely rugby related. He is an outstanding player with a big future and was one of the stand out players on the pitch today. We should applaud talent like this and not try and poke fun or score cheap points at this young mans expense - and before someone says it I am not an MCB supporter, Good luck to Lyttle in what I am sure will be a bright future
Agree with you totally. These are still schoolboys and any adult having a 'pop' at a kid in these circumstances should be ashamed of themselves. I'm sure this guy got enough grief about moving schools which was obviously a major decision for him and his family. I'm sure today more than ever he doesn't need this type negativity. Maybe admin or moderators could remove such nonsense!